October 2015 Moms

sleep training and night weaning

how old was your LO when they stopped eating in the middle of the night?  did you wean during the night first or sleep train to wean?  Mine goes to bed at 7 and then wakes up at midnight and 3 to eat and then up around 7.   The pediatrician said he is fine to go all night without needing a feed.  just curious about what everyone else has done.  He is 6 months.

Re: sleep training and night weaning

• My daughter was 4 1/2 months when I stopped middle of night feedings. She would cry and I would change her diaper then feed her and she would barely nurse. Most of the time I would wake her up so she could nurse because I was so full it hurt. 
    If she was going through a growth spurt or big change (moving to her own room at 6 months) I would nurse anytime she woke up. The past 2 weeks she has been in her own room and transitioned to the crib and she was getting adjusted and woke frequently at night. She's adjusted well and I dropped feeding her during middle of the night. She's been sleeping 9am-9pm. 
    Not sure if you're breastfeeding or formula, always heard breastfed babies eat more often. You could try a pacifier, that worked with my baby. Just needs some comfort sucking. 
  • he is breastfed and we do use a paci.  sometimes it's just that his paci fell out and we have to put it back in, other times it doesn't work and feeding will only make him go back to sleep.  we've done Ferber for nap times and that has worked. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am on a similar night schedule as you with my 6 month old.  She is very consistently going to sleep around 8:30 pm, waking between 12 and 1 and again around 4 am looking to eat.  Usually she is up for the day around 8:00/8:30 am.  She dives at my boob and continues to cry if I try to just rock or sooth her.  She is breast fed but I supplement with formula during the day.  She seems to be having/had a growth spurt recently, so I am just going with it for now because we haven't had our 6 month apt yet but it is on my list of questions.