April 2016 Moms
Options

Baby has dry skin

Anyone else's little one have horribly dry skin? Peter had beautiful clear skin up until this past weekend. He started getting a bit of baby acne and then the past two days his face has been getting more red and is now flaking off.

I haven't put anything on it. I've just been wiping his face with a damp cotton ball a few times a day to make sure I get any milk residue and loose bits of skin off. 

Anyone have any experience with this? I don't see a reason to call the pediatrician for something cosmetic and we see her next week for his one month check up anyway. Just looking for anyone that might have dealt with this and wondering if you did anything that helped. 

Re: Baby has dry skin

• Options
    My LO has the same! I asked my midwife and she says to just leave it alone, no lotions or potions. I've also heard that you can smear breast milk on the affected areas. I've just been wiping baby's face with a warm washcloth and patting it dry. I'll just have to wait and see...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I remember that with LO1, and as I recall it clears up in its own after a few weeks, as does the acne. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Totally normal! I jokingly call it the newborn peel. Both of my boys would peel like they'd been sunburned.

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Thanks ladies! You have made me feel better. I'll just continue to leave it alone then :) 
  • Options
    Yes, my DS has dry peeling skin on his arms and belly. My MIL is a pediatric nurse and says it's totally normal. She did say I could put lotion on him (though not necessary). 
  • Options
    I use water on a soft washcloth and then baby oil sparingly on his belly when this happens, but nothing on his face. Too sensitive of an area to mess with :) 
  • Options
    Coconut oil... If we want, but like everyone says, not necessary.