October 2016 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Check-in (18. April)

This post is for anyone but focuses primarily on GD.  Feel free to chat or ask any questions.

1. How pregnant are you?  ;)

2.  What's your GD status?

3.  What's your treatment plan?

4.  Questions?

5. GTKY: What's the one food/meal that you wish was always diabetes friendly?

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Gestational Diabetes Check-in (18. April)

• 1. How pregnant are you?     I'm 15w3d today!

2.  What's your GD status?   Officially have an early diagnosis of gestational diabetes due to persistent high fasting numbers.

3.  What's your treatment plan?  I just came from the diabetes center and am now in possession of a Humulin N KwikPen u-100  and a coupon to get the first box of 5 pens for free.  That being said, I'll likely have to go to vials and syringes after that since insurance does not cover the pens and at $500 per box...  outta my price range.  I'm to inject 12 units before bed each night to start and then will talk to the counselor to adjust in 48 hours.

4.  Questions?  Not today.

5. GTKY: What's the one food/meal that you wish was always diabetes friendly?  I just want to eat bread.  Like an endless basket of cheddar bay biscuits at Red Lobster or thick slabs of homemade white bread with good butter.

• I have glucose 1 hour tm morning.
    am I supposed to fast? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Everything I've heard is that you only need to fast for the 2 or 3 hour.  But I wouldn't advise a binge of doughnuts right before.  High protein, low carb was what they suggested to me as my last meal before the test (I had the 2 hour fasting) 

• hahaha I had a shrimp Caesar salad. I know he didn't say fast like if you're doing bloodwork but I wanted to make sure. I'm dreading the gross drink. 
  • It really wasn't that bad.  Just tasted like someone allowed a 2 year old to mix kool-aid and the sugar got a bit serious  ;)

• hahaha I kind of liked it. would've been better cold. now I sit here til 946 having to pee so bad LOL
  • 1. How pregnant are you?  16 weeks

2.  What's your GD status? Early diagnosis of GD, which my doctor thinks means I may have been pre diabetic before. 

3.  What's your treatment plan? Just watching what I eat, and for now she says I only need to test twice a day (after fasting and after my biggest meal) but I've been testing after anything I'm unsure about to see how my body is reacting. I just got my kit and started testing last Friday. So far pretty stable with just two exceptions that came down after a walk around the block and some water. 

4.  Questions? I don't think I have any. 

5. GTKY: What's the one food/meal that you wish was always diabetes friendly? Everything. I want all of the bread and non stop fruit all day, everyday. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • 1. How pregnant are you?  16w1d

2.  What's your GD status? Not GD but Type 1 for a long time

3.  What's your treatment plan? Insulin pump and continuous glucose monitor, bloodwork seeing endocrinologist every 2 weeks, fetal echo scheduled for 22 weeks, MFM for OB

4.  Questions? None yet

5. GTKY: What's the one food/meal that you wish was always diabetes friendly? Pizza! Its not usually as bad as I hear, but with this pregnancy my body has a really hard time breaking it down
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    edited April 2016
    Had some disturbing things go on last night.  1st night taking slow release insulin (Humulin N) so 12 units before bed.  Felt... well, drunk within 20 minutes.  Tired, slightly disoriented, BG was fine.  Woke up this morning to the realization that I had my first ever sleepwalking episode last night.  Called my mom at 3 am and just breathed into the phone for a minute, took all the jello cups out of the fridge and put them on the counter, and then went to the bathroom and left the toilet seat up (hopefully after I peed but perhaps I hovered?  No recollection what-so-ever.  Best part, those aren't even symptoms of anything that anyone has ever heard of.  AND my fasting BG was 5 higher than yesterday morning so no improvement.  Talked to my D nurse and after a consult decided it was a fluke and to up my dose to 16 units tonight.  Maybe I'll get lucky and do laundry in my sleep so I don't have to suffer through that dreaded task.  ;)

@UponAStar16

Aww, I wish I could give my pizza tolerance to you!  I don't love it and it's one of the few "bread" foods that I don't spike on.  Had a nice helping of Papa Murphys thin crust for lunch and only hit 114 an hour post.

• @anna.oskar whoa, that's so weird and I hope it doesn't happen again! Is it possibly related to anything else that was different last night? Thanks for the pizza tolerance offer...if we could trade stuff like that I think the world would be a better place haha. 114 is awesome post-pizza!
  • anna.oskaranna.oskar member
    edited April 2016
    Happened again.  2-3 am call to my sister.  God only knows what else I did.  *sigh*  why does this pregnancy make me so "special"

In brighter news:  BG of 85 for this morning's fast #

• Omg what! Cool about the blood sugar!
  • Question... what are some things you guys grab for a quick bite? DH worked late last night so I didn't want to cook what I had planned because it would be no reheated and I figured I'd just go grab something. I researched the nutrition facts online and figured I could have probably just under a serving of orange chicken with steamed veggies from Panda... WRONG. That may sound silly or naive of me, I'm just so new to this!  
  • Chinese food from the "diet" or "healthy" part of the menu, with the sauces on the side and often not the thick sugary ones, can pretty good depending on the place. Salads with grilled chicken or other lean protein and more tangy/vinaigrette dressings than sweeter creamy ones can be good too. I like the salads at some fast food places lately but you do need to check the nutrition info for carb counting because certain things can add lots of carbs. Soups don't have tons of carbs unless they are really thick or have lots of pasta...I like minestrone soup from the one pizza place nearby (although it doesn't help if I eat the big piece of Italian bread they give you!). I take insulin though so I generally have more leeway and don't restrict carbs as the primary way of controlling my blood sugar. Your doctor and/or nutritionist should be able to give you some booklets with quick or fast food lunch ideas and nutrition content too, 
  • Thanks @UponAStar16 ! It's my first week testing and everything so I'm trying to get it down right. 

• I do a lot of "snack meals" when the H isn't home.  Simple foods that I love.  Cheese, meat, and crackers, fruits or veg and dips, salads, and they have some amazing (especially the key lime pie) jello brand puddings that come out at around 15g of carb each.

• 1. How pregnant are you? 16 weeks

2.  What's your GD status? I've been GD with last two babies so I've been eating under the assumption I will be with this one too. I will get tested at 20 weeks. 

3.  What's your treatment plan? Since I won't get tested until 20 weeks, I still have a cheat meal now and then. So, four more weeks of flying under the radar...

my my doctor is super cautious. I'm diet controlled but have to test four times a day and submit the weekly log for review. 

4.  Questions? 

5. GTKY: What's the one food/meal that you wish was always diabetes friendly?
    fruit and milk! Especially milk