December 2015 Moms

Needing advice.. baby dropped from insurance

edited April 2016 in December 2015 Moms
We have insurance through DH's employer managed by their union. The union requested a copy of DD's birth certificate within 90 days of birth. Per instructions from the hospital, we could not pick up the bc from the county until AFTER 90 days so they gave us a temporary bc with the hospital's seal and all info needed for insurance purposes, etc. I mailed this to the union along with a copy of the paper that stated we could not obtain the bc until after 90 days and a handwritten note explaining this. In response they sent us a letter again stating they needed the bc before 90 days or DD would be dropped. DH called the union and explained the situation and the lady on the phone just said to send in the real bc as soon as we received it. On exactly day 90 I went to the county and picked up the bc and mailed it in. Now they sent a letter addressed to DD informing her that she has been dropped! She has her 4 month visit coming up and immunizations, she needs her insurance!

Edit: (somehow got cutoff) I'm calling the insurance directly before calling the union but wanted to see if any of you ladies work for an insurance company or can offer any advice as far as how to approach this. 

Re: Needing advice.. baby dropped from insurance

• I think calling insurance directly is a good idea. Something could have been lost in translation with the union. That's really frustrating for you! Fingers crossed it all works out. 
  • I agree with @Court11152325. I used to work in a healthcare facility and dealt with insurance a lot. Usually a phone call is all it takes.
  • Loading the player...
  • It took several tries to get Henry on SO's insurance and he is through a union as well. Just call the company directly. If for some reason you can't get LO on your insurance apply for medicaid under the life event of lost insurance, then add baby again when the open enrolment comes up and drop the Medicaid. If you qualify of course. 
  • We had a similar issue with union insurance and it just took a phone call to the insurance. 
  • I have no experience however, keep every documentation you've sent off as proof you've sent it.
    Just in case!
  • Call the insurance company. It should (her new policy) be retroactive.
  • Write down the reference number when you call!
  • I work in an insurance company for large employer groups. We also deal with employer/union benefits. We never recommend our mbrs to contact us because you aren't getting the insurance thru us, you're getting it thru yours or your spouses company. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do because they require the info from you. I don't know why they're giving you such a hard time if you already told them you couldn't get it for 90 days. They should be able to waive that for you.
  • I work in an insurance company for large employer groups. We also deal with employer/union benefits. We never recommend our mbrs to contact us because you aren't getting the insurance thru us, you're getting it thru yours or your spouses company. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do because they require the info from you. I don't know why they're giving you such a hard time if you already told them you couldn't get it for 90 days. They should be able to waive that for you.
    This turned out to be accurate. The insurance company said it's the union's decision and they confirmed that DD has a lapse in coverage. After much back and forth, DH was finally told she will be reinstated phew! Thank you for your replies. I wasn't sure I would get any since I thought we lost you all to Facebook. I cancelled mine years ago due to drama so I felt left out lol but glad to see you still check in :)
  • I was going to reply last night and then fell asleep. I'm glad it worked out. My husband has union insurance and it's the Bain of my existence. We can't talk directly to the insurance company either and the administrator is worthless and then when something goes wrong they blame each other. It's always a good time to go in circles. 
  • Not sure if it's these way with your office too but I overheard a doctor talking to a family asking about insurance and they said that if baby doesn't get approved cause of a bc reason that you can pay out of pocket and will be reimbursed when the birth certificate comes through. Might be worth asking your doctor as well if they have this policy? 
  • Not sure if it's these way with your office too but I overheard a doctor talking to a family asking about insurance and they said that if baby doesn't get approved cause of a bc reason that you can pay out of pocket and will be reimbursed when the birth certificate comes through. Might be worth asking your doctor as well if they have this policy? 
    I've gone through that some. We actually didn't pay. We talked to them before hand so they knew we were working with the insurance and what was going on. Once coverage became active it was retroactive and covered those visits so I only had to notify the doctor's office so they could bill for it.