October 2016 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion Time (4/14)

Re: Unpopular Opinion Time (4/14)

• Options
    @PeggyOlsonFTW I think I associate kissing on the lips with an intimate relationship so in my mind it views it as inappropriate when it comes to children. 
  • Options
    My UO is it really creeps me out when I see parents kiss their kids on the lips. It just screams inappropriate to me. 
    I have a 3 year old goddaughter who loves to kiss mommy and daddy on this lips. She always wants to kiss me too, but I don't since she's not my family. However, I would never not kiss my kids after the way my goddaughter reacted when I turned her down. I'd rather get a cold sore or a cold than have my child feel rejected by me.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @nataliemaephotography I've always kissed my kids on the lips, I too don't see how that's innapropriate. My DD is just about 16 and she always gives me big old sloppy kisses filled with whatever current lipstick trend she's trying out and so does my 8 year old DS. Maybe it just depends on how you are raised, my Aunties always kiss me smack right on my lips and so does my Mom. My stepkids even kiss me straight on the lips (well the girls do, our boy is too old and cool for kisses as a whole). I would never want them to think that's weird or "gross", we just love each other that much.
  • Options
    ball4768 said:
    I don't have an UO today but I feel like I should jump in so that no one thinks I'm a stranger!
    Seriously. I try to keep active but work has been so busy I often am late to posts and have not much to add. But I notice I don't often get any love tits so maybe people think I'm a stranger danger?
    @JamieK1882 I know I won't forget your love tits:)
  • Options
    @nataliemaephotography I've always kissed my kids on the lips, I too don't see how that's innapropriate. My DD is just about 16 and she always gives me big old sloppy kisses filled with whatever current lipstick trend she's trying out and so does my 8 year old DS. Maybe it just depends on how you are raised, my Aunties always kiss me smack right on my lips and so does my Mom. My stepkids even kiss me straight on the lips (well the girls do, our boy is too old and cool for kisses as a whole). I would never want them to think that's weird or "gross", we just love each other that much.
    Your DD is 16 and still kisses you on the lips? I was raised never kissing my parents on the lips so I agree that it could be how you're raised. 
  • Options
    ignoscemihiignoscemihi member
    edited April 2016
    ball4768 said:
    I don't have an UO today but I feel like I should jump in so that no one thinks I'm a stranger!
    Seriously. I try to keep active but work has been so busy I often am late to posts and have not much to add. But I notice I don't often get any love tits so maybe people think I'm a stranger danger?
    I totally spaced on posting an introduction so I wonder if I'm a stranger too.  I try to participate as much as I can, but I think maybe I did it wrong by just jumping in.  And I know those little "love" marks shouldn't matter, but they totally do.  I felt really bad when my Facebook announcement post only got 6 likes.  I know it's childish, but I can't help it.

ETA: Count me in for being in the "it's not weird to kiss your kids on the lips" camp.  I kiss my two year-old on the lips all the time.  It's not like we're making out.
  • Options
    I share the no kiss on the lips UO. I'm not against other people doing it, I just don't plan on it. My cousins and their parents were on the lips kissers and I just always thought it was weird. My branch of the family was more hugger/snugglers than kissers and I'm cool with that. 
  • Options
    I was raised with my mom kissing me on the lips, but I can't picture doing it with my kids. I will kiss their little cheeks and noses, but not the lips. It weirds me out. Although, who knows, I may feel different once the LO is actually here. 
  • Options
    @fitlady21 Yes she does all the time, we are pretty affectionate with each other and that goes for my DS and DD as well they kiss and hug and cuddle all the time. It was only the three of us for most of their lives and until I got together with my FI a year ago I was a single Mom, had family help here and there but it was always the three of us and we are a pretty tight little unit. I would be incredibly sad if that ever stopped but I don't imagine it will because it's just a bond that won't break. I carried them each for nine months, they are the only people who know the sound of my heartbeat from the inside so kissing each other on the lips pales in comparison to that.
  • Options
    I think kissing kids on the lips is weird.  I agree that I think it depends on how you're raised.  I've never seen anyone in my family kiss a kid on the lips.  However kisses on the cheeks, forehead, nose, belly are all ok.  I feel like kisses on the lips are reserved for romantic relationships.  I get that it's not at all sexual.  It just seems weird to me. 

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @AshleyGemini24 I actually had a student ask me if my baby was my husband's. When I stood there staring at her with my mouth hanging open, she said "what? I don't know if you cheat." Why the heck would that be the conclusion you jump to? And if you do, why would you say it?!

@kelliott09 I find that incredibly annoying as well! Just today, I told someone who asked 10/8, and she said, oh you should hold on til the 15th so my 18 year old can share a birthday with yours! Why would I intentionally keep it in an extra week on purpose??
  • Options
    My UO this week is that i don't like posting pictures of kids on facebook.

its less about paranoia and more about... Respect? Like, that kid is gonna be an adult one day and who knows what his or her social media presence needs are gonna be. Maybe no one will care about some baby photos, but maybe they will. Is it my right to make those decisions for the kid?
    I have a huge problem with people posting pics of random kids who aren't theirs. I have teacher friends who post pics of groups of students (usually on field trips, etc) on their personal FB and I think it's highly inappropriate. Same with parents who post pics of their kids in huge group settings- how do you know all the other parents are okay with it?
  • Options
    I also hate leggings.

And I hate dresses and skirts. I hate it when other people wear them because they look cute and I'm jealous, but I can't ever stand to wear them myself. I feel like I look dumb and I feel awkward and exposed. 

• Options
    @ignoscemihi I tried to love tit every fb announcement post so hopefully I got yours! I get it though!

aw thanks @orangeev and
    @BoyMom44

i I guess I do have an UO to add then....I don't dont do the kissing the kids on the lips (wasn't raised that way). My MIL kisses DD on the lips and it bugs me, but I haven't said anything
  • Options
    @fitlady21 Yes she does all the time, we are pretty affectionate with each other and that goes for my DS and DD as well they kiss and hug and cuddle all the time. It was only the three of us for most of their lives and until I got together with my FI a year ago I was a single Mom, had family help here and there but it was always the three of us and we are a pretty tight little unit. I would be incredibly sad if that ever stopped but I don't imagine it will because it's just a bond that won't break. I carried them each for nine months, they are the only people who know the sound of my heartbeat from the inside so kissing each other on the lips pales in comparison to that.
    I appreciate you sharing your view of it. Still not for me, but that's okay! Hopefully it will never end for you :)
  • Options
    I think 21 pilots is over rated.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing
  • Options
    @missteacherlady 16 I don't know what 21 pilots is
  • Options
    duckmayduckmay member
    edited April 2016
    Do you know the song "Stressed Out"? It's really stupid. That's them.
    M/C 4/2013
    E born 6/2014
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    If anyone has listened to all three of their albums all the way through, they are actually pretty amazing and talented. That song you are referring to is just way overplayed on the radio and isn't the best example of their work. 
  • Options
    @duckmay ah yes of course it's on the radio every other song how can you miss it?!
  • Options
    @duckmay and @JamieK1882 My DD and I are huge Twenty One Pilots fans and we even change the station when that song comes on now because the radio is killing it.
  • Options
    @ladyshark311 That's the only song of theirs I know, so I shouldn't use it to form an opinion of the band!
    M/C 4/2013
    E born 6/2014
  • Options
    @duckmay Having a teenager means I get different perspectives on bands I suppose, she fills me in on how they got to where they are, etc and then I end up with a new respect for them. But...that doesn't mean every band is for every person either. I just like to hear a few songs before I make up my mind. 

On on this same note it's wicked annoying how bands can have an album full of great songs but we only hear one over and over!
  • Options
    I hate that! Or when a band finally scores a hit, but with a song that sounds nothing like the rest of their catalog.
    M/C 4/2013
    E born 6/2014
  • Options
    @ashleyp625 the teacher thing is super inappropriate and a great way for a school to get sued.

when I was in 8th grade my best friend and her mom had to flee their house and go into hiding to avoid her abusive dad. wouldn't have been possible in today's world.
  • Options
    ladyshark311ladyshark311 member
    edited April 2016
    @LGW2015 I totally get why you posted that as the OP from books&icecream was about anti-vaxxers but I despise that statement so very much. I don't want you to think I'm personally attacking you because your intent was pure.

I've seen this particular statement everywhere and it truly makes my blood boil. These two things are in NO WAY directly correlated. My child has severe nut allergies however I do in fact vaccinate him. This is pretty much suggesting that having nut allergies is a "choice" just the same as not getting your child vaccinated is a "choice". I get what people are trying to say but this is so not the right way to say it. 

ETA: My full statement was cut off after posting! 
  • Options
    Wait...people still listen to the radio? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm almost 30 and still give both of my parents and my sister a quick peck on the lips when I see them and when we say goodbye. I kiss my son on the lips and I have never, ever felt it was inappropriate from any of these directions. I have healthy, normal, loving relationships with my immediate family members. I have always known I was loved and will never deny that to my children. My grandmother is known for stealing a smooch now and then too!
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Stupid quote bubble!

• Options
    @ashleyp625 I'm not sure the legal policies with other states but in the school district I worked with in Southern Vermont there was always a strict policy for students pictures. A letter would go out at the beginning of each school year regarding whether parents would be okay with their child's pictures being put up on the schools website. It was very well monitored and every teacher had a list of the students they could not take pictures of. In regards to the Facebook thing I know some schools and/or classrooms have a Facebook page or if it's a smaller school all the parents are friends with the teacher online, but they are still required to be given permission from the parents AND principal on posting of photos. Again, this policy could vary but this is how it was in the district I worked for. I do agree with you a picture should never be posted in any situation without permission. 
  • Options
    @ladyshark311 I think it's the other way around actually. The "choice" is to not vaccinate and the "choice" is to bring peanuts into school. The other children who are affected by that person's choice (whether it be allergy or disease) DO NOT have a choice. That's the way I read it anyway. I didn't see it as demeaning allergy at all but I understand you have a different take on it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LGW2015 I see what you are saying! Gives me a different perspective on it now. I know people I've actually gotten into heated arguments with that think allergies are "made up" and all in the parents head as if they are looking for attention. The fact people have that mindset is disturbing to me. 
  • Options
    @ladyshark311 wow that is crazy! My cousin has a severe nut allergy. He's had reactions from fellow students bringing a nut product into class. He even actually had a reaction recently because there were peas on the table at a recent family party. So I know how serious and scary it can be!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mpunger We send out permission forms like that too, but most people ignore it. They won't the first time they get called out for it! I always make sure I know who mine are, because I do not want to get in trouble for stuff like that. I understand about school FB pages and the like, my problem is more with people posting pics of random kids without permission.