Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

So here I am...

I got confirmation yesterday that the baby had no heartbeat.  I've been having light bleeding going on 4 days now.  I have an appointment tomorrow with my doc to go over options in more detail, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to take a pill to help induce the cramping of the uterus.  What should I expect do you think?  I'm really not in any pain and I'm not really wanting to prolong this process and wait for a possible d&c which would be 2 weeks away.  I am 10 weeks right now.  I had a miscarriage in November but it was really very early and was like a heavy period.  I expect this to be more dramatic.  Anyway, just here wanting to talk to other women in my predicament.  

Re: So here I am...

• RiverSong15RiverSong15 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I've found the women on this board to be very supportive. For stories and advice, the "Advice and experience" thread at the top of this board has a lot of stories. If you click on the link for "Miscarriage with Cytotec", you'll be taken to a thread specifically with stories from folks who took medication to manage their MC. Hugs.
  • Thank you. Will do. New to the forums and it's so confusing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry for your losses.  I agree about the advice to check out the thread at the top for a lot of stories all available now.  I had a d&c because my body hadn't recognized the loss yet (it was likely the baby died a week or two before we find out, and I was still having pregnancy symptoms).  I would encourage you to ask as many questions as you need, including asking the doctor to repeat her/himself, and a pen and paper to write things down.  Is anyone able to come with you to the appointment?  It is a lot to process.  Also keep in mind that unless your doctor tells you there is some risk to waiting, you can take some time to decide what you want to do.  I left the doctor with a rx for cytotec thinking that's what I wanted to do, but then I decided to schedule a d&c (ended up doing cytotec also, but that was not the plan).
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • I am so sorry for your loss. I miscarried naturally at 12 weeks so I can't help with the cytotec questions but I just wanted to say I am so sorry that you are here. 
  • Thank you. my husband will be with me for the appointment.  I will be keeping an open mind.  so many thoughts.
  • **TW sharing experience with Cytotec maybe be TMI**

I am so sorry for your loss. I too decided to take the pill instead of a D&C as I would have to wait for the procedure and couldn't bear the thought of that. I took the pill a day after we found out. I was supposed to be 12 weeks but the baby stopped growing at 8 weeks and had no heartbeat. I am not going to sugarcoat my experience with the pill, it was scary and honestly if my DH wasn't there I don't think I would of made it through it. It was painful but not unbearable, at least to me. The worst was the back pain that came with it. I inserted the pill, I was prescribed to take it vaginally, and went to bed. The first night it came out over night so I had to do it again the second night and that one stuck. I took it around 6PM and by 4AM it was all happening. I would definitely get the super overnight pads because I soaked through one sleeping without even noticing. Now this is probably TMI but I spent the next 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the bathroom. I figured why bother leaving because it was a lot of blood, I mean a lot like through a pad in a minute a lot. I believe I passed the sac because it was harder then the clots and had to be pushed out a little and then after that the major cramping stopped. I eventually went back to bed and feel asleep still in some pain but not as much as before. I am still having spotting about 2 1/2 weeks after but nothing more than a panty liners worth.

That was my experience, I have read a lot of different experiences on this before and after I went through it and it seems every woman has a different experience with it. For me I think it was personally the best choice. I think I needed to feel everything to emotionally know it was real. I go for my follow up on Friday with my doctor to see where I go from here. Whatever you decide to do just make sure it is the best decision for you and have a good support system in place because you will need it. Once again I am very sorry for your loss, no matter which route you take there is no real mental way to prepare for this.
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So sorry for your loss. I agree with others about having your DH or someone else there and I'm glad that he will be coming with you. I had to go back a few times after my first bad u/s because they really wanted to be sure that it wasn't viable before we did anything, and I thought that I was prepare and had my crap together. Of course I became upset talking either the doctor and was glad that my DH was there to ask questions when I couldn't. Please take care of yourself. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you for sharing your experience.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  Words just seem so inadequate.  (((hugs)))  The more research I do, and the more I listen to my body, I think I'm going to try to push for a d&c if they will do it now.  This just waiting, and bleeding and living in the bathroom and bed just doesn't work for me.  I need some closure.  Not to mention that my DH just can't take a few days off work to care for me, and I have a 5 year old at home that needs care and I don't want to have to worry about him on top of this.  
    lilylover27
  • @MamaBridgetAnnyou have to do what is best for you in the end. I was lucky enough to get off work and to have DH off as well. My thoughts will be with you as you go through this difficult process.
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am sorry for you loss. We found out at a 10 week appointment that baby had stopped growing at about 9 weeks. That was on Friday. I knew right away that I'd get a D&C. I would not be able to emotionally handle waiting for a natural one, and after reading about doing the pills I knew I couldn't do that either. I was lucky to get an appointment with an OB for Monday afternoon, and pushed to schedule a D&C on Tuesday. For me personally, that is what I could handle emotionally/mentally. My baby was dead, so I wanted it all over with quickly. I've been much better emotionally since the D&C. Though it was less than 5 days between finding out and procedure, it was a hard 5 days. Now on the other side I feel like I can handle life just a little bit better. I hope you find peace in whatever you decide to do.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Thank you ladies.  I'm currently about 90 minutes into my 3rd dose of misoprostol. I'm hoping this works because I'm pretty much defeated right now.