March 2016 Moms
Options

Spoiled sleeping

My 4 week old has been spoiled the last few days. I know it's really hard to spoil a newborn, but it has happened. He has been allowed to fall asleep while being held for the last week or so and now refuses to sleep in his crib and will only sleep if being held. He was previously sleeping in his crib for every nap time and at night. Is there anyway to get him back in his crib without a fight?

Re: Spoiled sleeping

• Options
    DD is the same way. She sleeps well in her rock n play and if I'm wearing her in her wrap, but I can't just lay her down unless I want her to wake up.

I usually wait until she's soundly asleep then I pick up an arm to test. If her arm is limp and she doesn't startle at all, I know she will probably sleep for at least a little while on her own. This doesn't always work, but it's my best shot at getting some rest.
  • Options
    I've made the same mistake with my 5 week old LO. She refuses to be put down on her bassinet on her back since we brought her home from the hospital. I now essentially hold her all night curled up on my chest (although I admit, it makes nighttime feedings easier). I have discovered that she will sleep on her own on her stomach, but I am not comfortable leaving her that way at night quite yet. I do put her on her stomach (she sleeps on her knees with her bottom up in the air) for naps...before I was holding her all day long and I could not get a single thing done, including eating. 
    We are making progress, in small steps. Try putting LO down in a position he likes and keep an eye on him, even if it just lasts for a few minutes. Keep working on it, eventually he will get used to it. I have been told that babies don't form habits this early, so you still have time to make it happen.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You just have to keep at it. My daughter definitely naps better in my arms without a fight, so when I do lay her down (swing, rock n play, crib) & she starts to fuss I just let her cry for a minute & most of the time she'll go to sleep, if she starts screaming I'll pick her up and try burping her bc usually that's the cause, & then lay her down again. I do this until she finally stays sleeping. Last night for bedtime I literally had to do this on repeat for 45 minutes. Just keep it at he will get it :)

Also my LO has reflux so she always sleeps on an incline & on her side, so maybe try different positions. Good luck!