September 2016 Moms

Travel in 3rd trimester yes or no?

Im  18 weeks right now.
My husband and I live in California
We are invited to a wedding in Montana when I'm 30 weeks in July.
My husband's family also has a cabin in northern Wisconsin that we go to every summer.
What does everyone think about flying in the third trimester???

Re: Travel in 3rd trimester yes or no?

• I'd talk to my doctor about it first. But just so you know, I've heard that some airlines won't let you fly with them in the third trimester without a doctor's note (and sometimes they still won't let you fly, even with one) for fears they'll need to re-route the plane. I personally don't plan on doing any travel past 26 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • romilromil member
    Definitely ask your doctor, but when I was pregnant with my daughter, my doctor was fine with me going to Florida in my last month of pregnancy. I flew from NJ to Fort Lauderdale when I was 35 weeks pregnant. I knew there was a risk I could go into labor there, but I was okay with it since I have family and friends in the area.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Ask your doctor, but I wouldn't after 33/34 weeks. Where is the cabin in Northern WI? We have a cabin/our family does, in Manitowish Waters. So beautiful up there.

• I have looked into this because I may be traveling at 33 weeks.  I am not too worried - this is my 2nd child and I know how I still felt pretty decent at 33 weeks and I am naively assuming that this pregnancy will be just as healthy as my last one. That said, I am waiting as long as possible to finalize my plan. Pregnancy is different for everyone - some people can still do a lot in the last trimester whereas others are starting to have more complications and reduced energy. It is such a wild card.

For flying, it varies by airline. The ones I have looked at have a hard cutoff at 36 weeks, whether you have a doctors note or not. You can work with the airlines to get around it if you have some necessary travel after that point.  Prior to 36 weeks, you will probably need a doctor's note, but otherwise the airlines will let you fly.

• I just asked my doc about this last week because I will be flying at 28 weeks.   She said that is fine. But after 32 weeks they would rather me not travel more than 2 hrs away because I wouldn't be able to make it back to the hospital in time.
    Pregnancy Ticker

DS1 12-31-1999, DS2 5-7-2008, DS3 8-3-2010
  • My insurance will not pay for any maternity related care (especially a delivery) if you're outside of your home network after the end of 2nd tri. (Military) I actually had to sign an acknowledgement that I would be responsible financially if I did that. It was during my "pre-admit" appointment. Crazy, right? I had my son at 36 weeks so I feel like at 34 weeks I'm not going anywhere. 
  • My doctor restricted travel to within 4 hours after 36 weeks during my first pregnancy, although I chose not to go anywhere not local after like 35.  This time, he said he will restrict at 32, but I'm having identical twins.  If you are close to the people and want to go I would go but ask your doc. 
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• We were moving when I was 32 weeks last pregnancy. I had to fly from Texas to Hawaii at 32 weeks pregnant. I had a note from my doctor just in case but the airline didn't even ask me about it. I guess I didn't look pregnant enough for them to care. I don't think there is any danger to you or baby if you travel in the third tri, that is more of an insurance issue. If you have to deliver away from home will your insurance cover it. Like others have said, if you aren't high risk before 35ish weeks I wouldn't bat an eye. After that it probably isn't worth the risk.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Check with OB and airline. Each one has restrictions. 

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• I would check with the doctor and the airline.  Right after I announced I had to tell my cousin that I probably won't make it to her wedding.  I am due on her wedding day, and she lives across the country.  Maybe you could go to the Cabin in the late spring this year?
  • Like everyone has said, check with your doc. I will be returning to Costa Rica to have the baby, and my doc said I shouldn't have issues flying up to 36 weeks.
  • I'm supposed to be going on a work trip when I'll be about 36 weeks pregnant -- it's just for a weekend, but will be about a 3-4 hour drive away. I'm getting the feeling I won't be going, even though it's not a flight, but this was a particular trip I wanted to go on! Maybe my doctor will let me decide how I feel at that point. Then again, maybe they'll tell me I'm crazy for even considering. 
  • I'm planning to go to Europe at 30-32 weeks - my doctor is fine with travel before 36 weeks, I have to check with the airline. I'm also not as worried about doing into labor while I'm there because I'm a Danish citizen and have free healthcare over there, worst case scenario. Although I of course hope I don't go into labor that early!
  • SLou24 said:
    I'm supposed to be going on a work trip when I'll be about 36 weeks pregnant -- it's just for a weekend, but will be about a 3-4 hour drive away. I'm getting the feeling I won't be going, even though it's not a flight, but this was a particular trip I wanted to go on! Maybe my doctor will let me decide how I feel at that point. Then again, maybe they'll tell me I'm crazy for even considering. 
    How far in advance do you need to make your plans? When I was 37 weeks with my son I ended up going 3-4 hours away by car for a weekend for a funeral. I felt fine the whole time.  My OB did give me a copy of my records just in case.

• I'll be doing the same as OP. I'm also in California and I'm in my SIL's wedding in early July. I'll be flying out at 29 weeks and returning at 31. I would encourage you to buy the travel insurance in case you are unable to fly or need to change things or reschedule. But definitely check with your ob
  • Most doctors won't recommend it after 35w and most airlines won't allow it after 36w.  At 30w, for a family wedding where I could presumably rest up?  I'd go.  Not sure about the cabin in WI.

Piper, 4/10/10
    Connor, 3/16/15
    Morgan, EDD 9/22/16

• My husband's family is doing their family vacation about 4 weeks before I'm due. I have my mind made up that I'm not going, but they keep on pressuring us. Believe me, I'd love to go. What I wouldn't love is the 7.5-8 hr drive (each way) and the possibility of giving birth or having something go wrong being so far from home. And then I think what if something were to go wrong with the baby? What if the baby required a NICU and we are so far from home. Not worth it to me.
    bfp: 09.22.10   m/c 11.05.10 @ 10w5d
    bfp: 10.02.12  m/c 11.05.12 @ 9w3d
    bfp: 05.15.15  m/c 06.25.15 @ 9w6d
    bfp: 09.22.15  m/c 10.20.15 @ 8w1d

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• We just traveled to SF from Texas this weekend (19 weeks) and are going somewhere East Coast in late May still undecided at 25/26 weeks. I am fairly cautious about travel because my sis unexpectedly had her twins at 28 weeks last fall. It was - everything is fine and then suddenly they were here. Like everyone else said, you can do trip insurance for peace of mind, but my bigger concern is delivering somewhere else without the support of family, friends, or Danish citizenship (Shiva14  lucky!!!).