December 2016 Moms
Options

Cross Fit Mamas Come In!

Who is still doing normal workouts and who is scaling?  My box is female owned and she said to still do everything I once was (including bur pees, sit ups etc.) until it gets uncomfortable but I am just not sure :/

Re: Cross Fit Mamas Come In!

• Options
    I'm not a crossfit Mama but I am doing Hammer and Chisel with Beachbody which is a pretty intense lifting program. I'm sticking with it until probably the 2nd trimester before I move on to something less demanding. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    I don't do Crossfit exactly but I do hiit style workouts that include lifting.  I'm going keep at it until I can but may lessen the load.  I will modify ab exercise though since lying on your back with a belly isn't recommended :)  I'm already finding that my muscles hurt faster and I get winded more easily though!  :o
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    HI Ladies.  I don't do crossfit exactly but I do heavy bag classes and lift free weights.  I'm hoping to keep it up as much as I can during my pregnancy.  Let try and keep each other motivated! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I do crossfit too, and my box requires 30 days notice for cancellation so I've already canceled for May. I'm just so nervous about exerting myself too hard, since usually by the end of the WOD I am laying on the ground dying. I'm not that great at crossfit honestly, it's taken a year to get where I can keep up with the rest of the class, and I just don't feel like I have that much room for scaling since I already scale a lot. But at the same time I don't just want to sit on my butt for the next 8 months, so I don't know what to do! 
  • Options
    I am a CrossFitter too, but the RE has me on pelvic rest due to my history and how things have been.  I plan to go back as soon as I am cleared and do as much "normal" for now as I can.  I'm definitely not going to try to PR anything and I'm going to be mindful to not get overheated or my heart rate crazy high.  I'll probably wear my old Polar HR monitor.   My coaches are super experienced and have had many other pregnant people under their programming, so I feel confident they will lead me in the right direction.  OBs have such a wide range of what is OK.  I will just do what feels right to me.
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Thanks all! I did two classes this week and felt great! She said when I hit second tri she will start making modifications for me unless something comes up before then or something doesn't feel right with what workouts I am doing. It is all about listening to my body. I am just not going to be going 5 days a week any more.  I am going to have a night or two of yoga and night a week of jogging.
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I scaled back... probably 50%... but kept it up the whole time. I think going 100% through all those changes I would have tweaked something and then had to stop later. My body was working so hard to build a baby that at 50%, I was still working 100% as hard... if that makes sense. This time I'm going into it more out of shape because of an injury so my expectations are low. My goal is to get to the other side of this in a condition that I can bounce back from as easily as possible. sigh....
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    Question for the cross fit mamas... My last pregnancy I was told to limit heavy lifting (over my head) to less than 50 lbs.  I'm familiar with cross fit and guess many of you are doing much more than that.  Has anyone heard/debunked that guideline?  I've lifted my toddler (30 lbs) over my head and roughhoused a few times this last week and had cramping right after.  Curious on what you've experienced...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    @DiFazette th rule I have heard is if you were doing it before you got pregnant you should be able to continue.  If you never lifted 30lbs over your head it isn't the time to start.  I think there are more concerns with lying on your back & things like sit ups and bench press,  but that is 2nd or third tri.  I am going to scale & listen to my body once I get off pelvic rest.  I am so hoping soon!!  
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    Not xfit, but lift and run competitively. Literally have to scale back on my speed work due to shortness of breath. So slow now and while the general rule is to keep up your routine, setting new PRs (in xfit, running, etc.) is a big no no across the board. Also curious about the lifting overhead. My doc says keep doing it until you can't, but most bodies of science (CDC, WHO, NHS, ACSM) say no. I am thinking that's for all of the people who want to start something new, though...