December 2016 Moms
Options

New job

i just got offered today a new job. I just found out yesterday I'm pregnant. If I take this new job, does anyone know if there are any repercussions or anything if I tell them pregnant a month into the job? I'm so nervous. I'm currently working part time and got offered a full time job. I'm just so confused on what to do and would hate to start somewhere new, then surprise I'm pregnant and will be leaving you guys in 8 months!

Re: New job

• Options
    ShalomAtHomeShalomAtHome member
    edited April 2016
    You are not obligated to tell them. Most women wait until the end of their first trimester to tell their employers, and that is no different for new jobs.

My Blog

Me: 26 years old
    DH: 30 years old
    Married: August 5th, 2011
    1 son (Yehudah...AKA: Hudi) Born September 25th, 2013
    1 Furbaby (Portillo): Dachshund
    TTC Since Beginning of March 2016
    BFP: March 28th, 2016
    EDD: December 3rd, 2016

• Options
    You are not obligated to tell them. Most women wait until the end of their first trimester to tell their employers, and that is no different for new jobs.
    Yes I read that. I just feel horrible. It's not an ideal situation that's for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Is it with your same company?  This happened to me when I was PG with DS 4 years ago.  I accepted the offer in writing and said - by the way, I found out last night that we are expecting.  It's obviously very early to disclose but I wanted to start our relationship with honesty and transparency.  There is nothing they can do, and you won't feel like you're hiding something. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    Same company. It's actually with the city that I live in. So I didn't know if it was any different.
  • Options
    lrg14lrg14 member
    If it's with the same company it may be different but often you need to be at the job for 1 year for maternity leave or FMLA.
  • Options
    @lrg14 This is what I'm afraid of. I left the company I had been at for over 2 years for a company with a more stable contract. I figured that it would be easier to be on a 4-year contract working for the same office I've been working with for over 2 years than to continue switching offices/clients every year. But since we found out I was pregnant the same week I started at the new company, I won't qualify for FMLA, and the maternity leave policy is mostly just FMLA. 

So I'm going to try and work out a flexible work-from-home schedule. Thankfully, December/January is always quiet around here due to everyone taking their annual leave.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I've been working for a small design firm for about 8 months now, but a coworker of mine is already pregnant and on bed rest due to complications. It is severely affecting everyone's workload so this is NOT the best timing to have gotten pregnant, for them at least. I have anxiety just thinking about breaking the news to them. I'm 6 weeks now, and I want to give them as much notice as possible but I think I will wait until I'm 12 weeks so that the blow isn't as hard. I need advice Moms!! 
  • Options
    I'm in a similar position....I just got a new job last week, start in May, and got a BFP yesterday. I think they'll just have to deal!
  • Options
    I've decided to wait until I'm about 12 weeks, just to be out of the first trimester and so they've had a couple of months to see that I am a valuable employee. I start Monday and I will be 6 1/2 weeks. Hoping I don't start showing before then though, this is my 3rd and I heard you show faster
  • Options
    This happened to me last time. Same employer. I started at 5.5 weeks pregnant, was completely sick so I didn't tell anyone because I wanted to force myself to hold it together. I think I finally told around 22 weeks. My employer is very family friendly and my supervisor is totally out to lunch and my work is pretty independent though so I was working with that situation. It was as easy a situation as it could be for this...
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16