September 2016 Moms

Unpopular Opinions

13»

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• @TheTamedShrew I think it is a matter of preference here but I was raised differently, where it isn't a matter of preference. Yes, that was my opinion, I thought it was weird, strange and inappropriate and, as I said before, I was asking why honestly because I didn't get it. I see it being made fun of on TV and stuff and had honestly no idea it was so common. When I read everyone's responses, I mentioned that it made sense now, even though I still won't do it. We won't change our opinions here and they won't all be popular,  hence the UO, but we can agree to disagree. 

As far as the recent post, I don't think lip kissing has anything to do with different levels of affection as this implies that I will give my kid less affection because I don't lip kiss. This is why I would hate to see people (and I guess I should've specified people here and IRL, not just the people that implied this) think that I am less affectionate or loving because I don't lip kiss. There are things that are normal to me that are weird to others and vice versa, and that's life. To me, it's something that I found to be weird because, as I said, in all my life I only ever saw one parent lip kissing.
    Again, I think you (and @AnnaS930)are reading too much into people's responses and looking for a reason to feel criticized. You stated that you found it inappropriate and weird (I understand you later retracted that statement, and even if you didn't it wouldn't make any difference to me or anyone else). No one was offended or felt that you were personally calling THEM inappropriate because it's understood that people display affection in different ways. People responded with their reasons for lip kissing using words like "close" and "affection" and you assume they are implying that YOU personally are LESS affectionate or loving. 

All I'm saying is that I don't think anyone was implying that, but I guess we are just talking in circles here. No one is more or less affectionate or loving to their children based on whether or not they kiss on the lips. It would be completely ridiculous if anyone actually thought that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary       

• Loading the player...
  • @TheTamedShrew - It's very possible that I read too much into responses (and even said so in my post), but I am not looking for a reason to feel criticized, please don't suggest that. I agree that we're talking in circles. My panties are not in a bunch over this.. I am not feeling criticized for not kissing my kiddo on the lips, just wanted to point out the way that responses were reading to me, and to say Hey, to the rest of you who don't do this, I'm sure you're close to your kids too.  Either way, I'm all for the circle talking ending, but let's not suggest anyone is looking for a reason to feel criticized here - that's a pretty bold statement, and I'm not cool with that twist at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry you're not cool with it.  Nothing I said was disrespectful or rude, and it wasn't really a "bold statement". I just meant you are being over sensitive, which it seems you will continue to be no matter what I say or how I word it apparently. I'm done with this conversation because it's really wasting my time now.
    Anniversary       

• @TheTamedShrew - I reread the whole thread.. and I was definitely reading too far into the comments. I wasn't looking to feel like a victim though, perhaps it was taken that way. Now I'm not coming back to this thread, it's taken up too much of my brain this morning
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @camichael84 I turn the station immediately as well. Hearing his voice or looking at his smug expressions irritates me!

A couple funny story on the modesty discussion...

I dropped my 4yo off at preschool the other day and as I turned around to leave the room a little girl in his class comes out of the restroom in her princess underwear. My son gives her a funny look, then the teacher notices and runs over "MaKenzie, we need to put our pants on before leaving the restroom". I was giggling on the way back to my car. Kids really don't know the difference, so sweet an innocent.

Back when I was in high school I came home with a couple of my friends and as we walk in the front door my dad is standing at the top of the stairs in his tighty whities. My friends and I ran downstairs and started laughing. If you knew my dad it's even funnier. He's 6' 7" and 350 lb. He's a really big guy, very quiet, and unaware of his surroundings. He doesn't care about things like that so he just said "hi" and turned around and went back to his room. It was like 10 pm.  

• AnnaS930 said:
    @TheTamedShrew - I reread the whole thread.. and I was definitely reading too far into the comments. I wasn't looking to feel like a victim though, perhaps it was taken that way. Now I'm not coming back to this thread, it's taken up too much of my brain this morning
    Agreed with all of this. Looking over the comments, I think we both read too much into the responses and are not looking to be victims. I don't think lip kissing or anything else that was discussed here warrants all of this back and forth. I believe we all have respect for each other and no one was looking to offend or be offended. We are all different moms and no one (at least not here and definitely not me!) is looking to criticize or judge anyone else. Now, let's be done with Thursday and move on to Friday! I'm tapped out of UO. So much love for you, ladies (just not on the lips :D )
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers