July 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

Let us judge you. Proceed.

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • @kellz14 So yummy, so yummy!
  • KASGKASG member
    edited March 2016
    On a similar note, I am extremely picky, and I hate when people try to FORCE me to try THEIRS. I don't care who made it; I don't eat it. Period. These things include but are not limited to food laden with onions or garlic, and even seafood. "No, I'm not allergic. I just don't want it." And here's the kicker: I married into a Filipino family so...no dinner for me! Lol I eat before I go to any gathering.

I also appreciate my husband telling me which things I won't like. He knows my palate so well :smile: 
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• I'm fairly picky myself, and being Italian it's a sin. I don't eat peppers, mushrooms, onions, or most seafood. Since meeting my hubs, I have gotten a little better. I should also say that I do eat things like spaghetti sauce, and I cook with peppers, onions, and tomatoes. A lot of it is a texture issue for me but one of my favorite meals is meat, green peppers, onions, and tomato served over rice. Allll that goes down the hatch every single time. 
  • My UO is brought to you by a "discussion" I had with my H the other day:  I believe that if you are talented as a singer and have that as your profession then you are a true musician.  My H thinks that if they don't write their own music, then they are "made" and aren't true musicians.  Not very spicy but it's what I've got.
  • @Nerdchild I was going to ask how it went for you! Yeah that ish was done in a minute she looked at me like I was crazy haha 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @Brittnic531 I've had a somewhat similar conversation with my husband before... Who has no musical training. I minored in music, play a few instruments/sing - but, you know, there's a reason why I didn't quit my day job. :) I've only written one song, but I still consider myself a musician, even if I'm not nearly as good as other musicians. My opinion is, if you have no musical training then you are not qualified to say who is a musician and who is not!
  • @Lindsayleigh1989 If anything our lab techs should appreciate us as easy patients! ;) I hope that was a one and done for the both of us, but it wouldn't be awful to drink glucola again. 
  • kellz14 said: @Brittnic531 I've had a somewhat similar conversation with my husband before... Who has no musical training. I minored in music, play a few instruments/sing - but, you know, there's a reason why I didn't quit my day job. :) I've only written one song, but I still consider myself a musician, even if I'm not nearly as good as other musicians. My opinion is, if you have no musical training then you are not qualified to say who is a musician and who is not! My H is a very talented musician and has very strong opinions on topics like these... Where as I played clarinet in  band for 7 years and that's it.  We were specifically referring to popular bands and solo artists in our discussion.  If that is your chosen career and you are successful at it, then you are a true musician.  Not everyone who can sing can write songs and not everyone who writes songs can sing.  It doesn't make them any less of a musician in my opinion.  
  • @Lindsayleigh1989 the lemon lime is the best! With all three of my pregnancies, I've had lemon lime, orange and fruit punch. Fruit punch was the nastiest one.  :s
  • @Nerdchild @Lindsayleigh1989 you guys are making me feel better abou drinking this thing!!! All people do is complain how nasty it is and how awful it will be. So many of my friends say its "the most awful thing". Couldn't tell if they were just being dramatic. I'm sure it's no virgin margarita but it's not going to take like ass either. I hope to chug it and be done with it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

July16 JULY siggy challenge

• Kellyj103 said:
    @Nerdchild @Lindsayleigh1989 you guys are making me feel better abou drinking this thing!!! All people do is complain how nasty it is and how awful it will be. So many of my friends say its "the most awful thing". Couldn't tell if they were just being dramatic. I'm sure it's no virgin margarita but it's not going to take like ass either. I hope to chug it and be done with it. 
    It's like flat soda. I've had waaaay worse at various parties and bars. 
  • @onesassybishhHaha. My mom says selfish shit like that too and it does annoy me. I'm like lady your own kids don't look like you so why would mine? I'm thinking this LO will look some combination of me and DH being that we're providing her DNA and all but who knows. 
  • @born2run911 the PPs are right about FMLA. You also have to work a minimum 1,250 hours in that year of employment to qualify. Individual states may have state-specific short-term disability plans which sounds more like what you're talking about. When I worked in NY I paid about $2/paycheck towards disability coverage. The benefit wasn't that great once I took my maternity leave (maximum of $220/week, I believe. Could be less depending on your earnings!). The USA could definitely do better.
  •  @joleri23 unless you live in Texas, which is a "right to work" state, which basically means employers can hire and fire you at will anyways.  I'm pretty much expecting to be laid off once I return from my maternity leave since I work in oil and gas and that industry is a shit-show right now.
  • @rnyland1 Ugh that stinks, I'm sorry! Oil and gas is a tough industry. :(
    July BMB Siggy Challenge: Weird Hot Dog Situations
  • @Racso12  I want to do the same thing. I've talked to a few people and listened to podcasts that mention feeling so much pressure to have the baby because there's family waiting to hear or sitting in the waiting room and I just don't want to deal with it. I also have family drama and I'm concerned about sending out photos or info before we're ready to share it publicly. My husband thinks its mean not to tell anyone. I don't mean wait 3 days or anything but we can delay a phone call until a couple hours after he's born. When I go into labour I might pull the "I'm going to be pushing a baby out my vagina today (in theory) and you will respect my wishes on this" card if I haven't convinced him by then. 
  • I believe in unemployment pay and disability/short term disability. I also believe in family sick leave. I just don't believe that maternity/paternity leave should be taxpayer funded as (unlike being ill or laid off) pregnancy is a choice in almost all cases. I also feel very strongly that whatever a company or the government grants to mothers should also be granted to fathers and same-sex couples adopting.

I agree that FMLA falls short in protecting the jobs of people in companies with less than 50 people. I hope that States work on protecting employees not covered under FMLA.

I know it is an UO.