October 2015 Moms

Taking away pacifier?

For those of you who have had LOs who have used pacifiers for sleep and have successfully stopped using them...

1) Did you stop cold turkey or gradually?
2) How long did it take?
3) What ways does LO use to soothe without pacifier?

Re: Taking away pacifier?

• We stopped using ours for sleep. I couldn't handle the constant crying during his bedtime because he lost the pacifier, so we took it away. We stopped cold turkey. It took one day. Literally just didn't give it to him for maybe 5 minutes and he stuck his thumb in his mouth instead and went to sleep. I was shocked. As for question 3, obviously sucking his thumb. After a week of no pacifier at all, we chose to reintroduce it during the daytime when he needs soothing from his teething pain. I find he doesn't seem to need it as much as he used to though. We only offer it when he is chewing on his hand, as an alternative. I'm just trying to save that poor hand, which was getting really chapped. 
  • My guy still has his. He needs it to fall asleep, but once asleep he's fine. We usually just use it for sleeping and car rides or for when he's annoying the heck out of me. It's so incredibly soothing for him that I can't bring myself to take it away yet
  • Loading the player...
  • We went cold turkey at 12weeks after having to constantly get up at night to put it back in. We had one night of grumbling and that was it. Lo found her thumb the next day and the rest is history. Thank goodness for thumbs! I felt lo slept so much better without it and can now self soothe. If you really want rid of it I would suggest going cold turkey and don't give in. 
  • We stopped cold turkey 98% of the time
     She still uses it for naps. And whe she goes down for the night i put her down without her pacifier and she falls to sleep just fine (we just dod sleep training) but she does wake up at 430 and ill give her the pacifier and she sleeps until 6. 
    I was tired of getting up every 45 mins to give her the pacifier back