Pregnant after IF

Endometriosis and IUI

fragglefanfragglefan member
edited March 2016 in Pregnant after IF
I'm just curious if anyone on here has endometriosis and IUIs were successful for them? I have my first IUI in a few days but am really just feeling depressed about the whole thing. Everything I've read so far says that iui success with endo is pretty much non-existent so am wondering if we are just wasting our money  :/ Thanks in advance to any encouragement you can give.

FWIW, I had my son naturally despite having stage 4 endo and not knowing it. I also got pregnant naturally after my last surgery but miscarried. That's the only thing that is convincing me to give it a try at this point. Both tubes are - sort of - opened. Had an HSG and they were slow to drain. Then did a sono and the RE said he could tell they were open (not sure how he could tell since we only filled up the uterus but c'est la vie). This cycle we are doing femara, trigger shot and progesterone. Oh, and lots and lots of praying.
Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.
Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

11/2013- Diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis
07/2014- emergency surgery to remove hemorrhaging cyst first RE missed, removed endo from fallopian tubes, hsg done, d&c performed to remove polyphs in uterus, femvue done, put on dexamethasone and metformin
08/2014- miscarriage, second RE refuses to mark down in charts, switch again
03/2016- IUI #1, waiting for results on April 17

Re: Endometriosis and IUI

• Well, I may have some hope for you! I got a hysteroscopy (to fix a slight t shape uterus), and a transvaginal endoscopy to see whether a laparoscopy was necessary as endo was suspected, but some of the symptoms (heavy periods) were masked by the shape of uterus problems. Long story sort of short, I was found to have stage 4 endo. My tubes were fine, but my right ovary was covered in endo and completely twisted behind my uterus. I had adhesions between my uterus and both my bladder and bowels. I also had more adhesions going up on the right side, covering all of my liver (interestingly enough, I had my gallbladder taken out 6 months before, which in retrospect was likely damaged by the endo). I even had some adhesions in my diaphragm. This was not known at the time, but I still have an endometrioma in my left ovary. Our plan was to do a max of 2 IUIs before moving on to IVF. I took Letrozole and Follistim, triggered (with only one follie we knew for sure was mature), and I got pregnant, exactly two years after starting TTC (and never had a positive at any point). I'm now 35 weeks along with our little guy :smile: 

There definitely is some hope...I think it depends a lot on the location of any implants, and how your tubes are doing. Best of luck to you! Keep us posted on how it turns out! 
  • Thank you, that does make me feel better! I'm just so paranoid because despite what my RE says, it looked like a hydrosalpinx in one of my tubes so of course I'm worried about toxic crap floating around in there. But I'm just gonna have faith and trust that my doctor knows more than I do lol 
    Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

11/2013- Diagnosed with stage 4 endometriosis
    07/2014- emergency surgery to remove hemorrhaging cyst first RE missed, removed endo from fallopian tubes, hsg done, d&c performed to remove polyphs in uterus, femvue done, put on dexamethasone and metformin
    08/2014- miscarriage, second RE refuses to mark down in charts, switch again
    03/2016- IUI #1, waiting for results on April 17
  • Loading the player...
  • Fingers crossed for your iui, that was never an option for us. My endo was diagnosed when I was 18, and they never went into detail about stages for me, so I have no comparison to give you there. We suffered through 2 MCs and 2 ectopic (one of which was while trying clomid and timed intercourse, knowing one tube was blocked already) before we went to IVF. the ectopic was a pretty traumatic experience for us physically and emotionally. Not trying to bring you down from the possibility of IUI working, just wanted to share what happened in our case if it can help prevent the same from happening to someone else. GL! 

8 Years
    2 Miscarriages
    2 Ectopic Pregnancies
    1 Round of Clomid
    1 Fresh IVF Cycle
    1 Bean and 5 Frosties!