May 2016 Moms

Tubal Ligation anyone?

Is anyone else thinking about/already made the decision about getting their tubes tied? Since I'm getting a RCS its a definite option for us if we want to take it. We have a 2.5 yr old daughter and having a son this time around.

I work full time, DH works full time and goes to school part time and will do so for the coming years. Our plates are full as it is and we're going to have to learn how to juggle another when he arrives! Financially there is no way we could do 3 in daycare. I also really don't want to continue taking birth control for the next 15+ years. 

So, it seems our decision of not wanting more kids is pretty clear, but for some
reason I'm having a really tough time actually making the commitment. It seems
so permanent. I keep thinking of worst case scenarios that are so unlikely (loss of child, divorce, etc). Anyone else in the same boat? If you made the decision already, how did you overcome the "what-ifs"? 
Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
BabyFruit Ticker
Anniversary

Re: Tubal Ligation anyone?

• I am having a tubal right after delivery.  This is our 3rd and it took about a year to convince DH that this was a good idea lol.  There is no way he would ever agree to a fourth so it was a no-brainer for me.  Plus, I'm 36 years old and we are pretty much out of room in our house.  
    Have you considered an IUD instead of a tubal?  I've had a few friends who were "sure" they were done having kids but now regret it.  One of them was widowed and now is getting remarried- they are going to do IVF this summer!  Don't do it if you are already doubting yourself- things can change in an instant.  
  • I am doing it with my csection this time. It's definitely our final child, so no questions on our part. 
    However- my last pregnancy was a surrogacy and I contemplated doing it then. My OB told me not to. I found it odd then, but I am 100% glad she told me no. She wanted me to be 100% confident in that choice. I wasn't, though I also wasn't really into having another child. 
    If you have ANY reservation towards the choice- don't do it. Don't do it because it's so easy with the csection. There are plenty other birth control options that are temporary.
    Hope that helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • DH and I are 100% sure we're done having kids. My only hesitation are the negative things I've heard associated with post ligation syndrome. I'm terrified of experiencing all that. I can't do the pill to regulate my periods. I did the IUD before and loved it. So I could do that but I was hoping for a permanent method. I still have to talk to my dr. I talked to DH about what I can possibly experience. He still wants me to do it. I definitely don't want another. I don't want to experience heavy periods, hot flashes, etc. 
  • gemini2005gemini2005 member
    edited March 2016
    @cortney626 I was worried about this as well.  My cousin is an OB and she said that having a tubal ligation will not cause those symptoms.  If the OB accidentally cut off blood flow to the ovaries during the procedure then maybe a woman could have some problems but normally that doesn't happen.   Sometimes woman have heavy periods or other uncomfortable symptoms simply because this is the first time in many years being off of hormonal birth control and it's just normal for your body when not exposed to artificial hormones.  She told me that some woman end up going back on the pill to alleviate the symptoms.  I'm going to go through with the tubal anyway and if I do have problems I could always start the pill or mini pill again. 
  • @gemini2005 thank you for that info. I've heard that as well. I have an appt coming up with my dr soon that will hopefully ease my mind because I do want to go through it. Just hearing those symptoms are a little scary but I do know people who have had it done and have absolutely no regrets!
  • When DH and I are 100% sure we're done having kids he's going to get snipped. It's a much easier procedure for them to have it done! 
  • I am doing it with my csection this time. It's definitely our final child, so no questions on our part. 
    However- my last pregnancy was a surrogacy and I contemplated doing it then. My OB told me not to. I found it odd then, but I am 100% glad she told me no. She wanted me to be 100% confident in that choice. I wasn't, though I also wasn't really into having another child. 
    If you have ANY reservation towards the choice- don't do it. Don't do it because it's so easy with the csection. There are plenty other birth control options that are temporary.
    Hope that helps!
    Just want to say thanks for being a surrogate! This is a huge gift, and the only path to parenthood for some. 
  • My doctor already told us that I'll need a complete hysterectomy when we're done having children, because of my severe endometriosis. He also said we'd pretty much have to do back to back pregnancies because the endo has us on borrowed time. We're pretty sure we're done after these twins, but not 100%. There's definitely no going back from a complete hysterectomy! 
  • edited March 2016
    I also have high risk pregnancies but will not 100% completely close the door.  I have to take extra hormones during this pregnancy and that combined with pregnancy hormones...now is not the time for me to be making rational solid life long decisions.  I felt one way before this pregnancy, now I feel another.  After this baby we will discuss our options, after this baby is a toddler.  When I have finally gotten pregnant it has taken significant amounts of time and I didn't get my cycle back last time for 18 months due to nursing so we aren't worried about accidental pregnancy.  This is most likely our last for many reasons, but I am not ready to medically give myself no other options at this time. 
    Plus I have read a lot of stories about a tubal while researching it and I would rather not put myself through that at any time in my life.  For medical reasons I can't take BC, which is recommended if something goes off with the tubal. 
  • Thanks ladies! All of these inputs help. It's just such a difficult decision, but maybe it's so difficult because it's not a decision we're ready to make. The other option I was thinking about was an IUD or some other form of long term birth control and in a couple years if we still feel we're done looking into the permanent options.
    Baby #2 EDD: May 13th!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Anniversary