Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Taking a prenatal and a milk supplement while breastfeeding

I am a new mom and I'm currently breastfeeding. I'm taking a prenatal vitamin that is organic. I was just wondering if taking a milk supplement vitamin would also be beneficial? I have see supplements such as Mothers Milk, next to the prenatal vitamins. Does the prenatal already cover what the milk supplement do? Any answers would help... 

Re: Taking a prenatal and a milk supplement while breastfeeding

• Options
    I'm not sure about the milk supplement but my OBGYN just told me to finish up the prenatals I had while breastfeeding and then switch to a lactation vitamin. Her main concern was making sure I have all the nutrients I need and that my milk has the same
  • Options
    The mother's milk has things in it designed to increase milk production.  I highly doubt they'll be in your prenatal vitamins.  If you are having problems with your supply, it might be beneficial  to take both
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told to finish the materna I have left then go back to a regular multi. They want me to give vitamin d drops for baby during the first morning feed though.

Owyn Russell - August 10, 2011

Lily Ann - March 22, 2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I take a prenatal or multi vitamin when I remember but it's never been mentioned to me by any doctor or pediatrician. We don't do vitamin d drops either, they have also never been mentioned to me. I did take fenugreek for a while as per my LC's recommendation to help milk supply early on. 
  • Options
    If you're having supply issues, your best bet is to add more pumping to increase your supply vs taking a vitamin. 
  • Options
    The prenatals cover vitamins your body may need to replenish.  Mothers Milk, Blessed Thistle, or Fenugreek are galactagogues that will increase milk production for some.  If you don't need to take them, there is no reason to add them in.  With Fenugreek especially, you'll just end up smelling like maple syrup :)
  • Options
    I still take my prenatal vitamins and my pediatrician has me giving my LO vitamin D drops each day. To increase supply I was told to pump, feed ,etc. The more they feed, babies will stimulate milk supply. That's what happened for me, of course everyone is different. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker