June 2016 Moms

Postpartum underwear?

So...
Any ideas?  I can't for the life of me remember what I did before, it's been so long.  I haven't bought anything but Hanky Panky, which are thongs and WAY too expensive for the indignities of postpartum or basic cotton thongs I wear for working out...

I can't stand waist bands or that bunchy elastic.  Do I just get the ones they sell at the drug store?  I know I need something I can put a pad in, but they all look so uncomfy.

Re: Postpartum underwear?

• Low rise basic cotton blend Hanes are what I used last time I think. Not fancy, but did the job without being huge 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • All I remember wearing was the mesh ones they gave me at the hospital lol super comfy (for me) and held all the stuff it needed to hold in place.  After those wore out (they are disposable afterall) I just wore some basic cotton briefs that I didn't care about so I could toss them if needed.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Love the mesh ones from the hospital. I also got this huge Hanes wide band waist that were so comfy 
  • Cwg22Cwg22 member
    My sister brought me a victoria's secret bag to the hospital as a gift and I was super confused, but ended up loving it. She had gotten me a few pairs of black cotton boy shorts in a size larger than I normally would wear and they were a nice transition from the mesh undies back to normal. I didn't wear them for and extended period of time I but thought it was a nice thoughtful gift from someone who obviously had a baby recently and knew about the pad situation. I haven't worn them since but am planning to bust them back out for this time around. 
  • I've asked some of my mom friends, and they all have different answers. Some went with disposable underwear, some went with the Hanes cotton panties, and some took advantage of VS's panty sale (which right now is 7 pairs for $27) and got their briefs. I'm with @Rosehip15 and I don't like elastic waistbands or bunchy ones, but right now some of their boy shorts and bikinis have the lace waist bands that they use for their thongs. Just a thought :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cwg22 said:
    My sister brought me a victoria's secret bag to the hospital as a gift and I was super confused, but ended up loving it. She had gotten me a few pairs of black cotton boy shorts in a size larger than I normally would wear and they were a nice transition from the mesh undies back to normal. I didn't wear them for and extended period of time I but thought it was a nice thoughtful gift from someone who obviously had a baby recently and knew about the pad situation. I haven't worn them since but am planning to bust them back out for this time around. 
    Good sister!
  • I have heard of doing the Victoria secret boy shorts as well and that they help you feel a little more confident but I'm sure feeling comfortable is going to be more of a concern than feeling sexy after birth, hell that ship has already sailed lol for me anyways... but I will say prettypushers.com has some postpartum underwear options. May want to check into it :)
  • Ooo time to break out and dust off my VS credit card...
  • I mentioned this on another thread -- I'm considering ordering more Thinx in a size up from my prepregnancy size. I found out we have a crazy low hospital admission copay, so I'll also be grabbing as many extra pairs of the mesh underwear as I can get my hands on to get me through the first few days.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • MynaBird said:
    I mentioned this on another thread -- I'm considering ordering more Thinx in a size up from my prepregnancy size. I found out we have a crazy low hospital admission copay, so I'll also be grabbing as many extra pairs of the mesh underwear as I can get my hands on to get me through the first few days.
    Do they really work?  Until I got an IUD (sniff, I was so sad to let that go to TTC) I had HEAVY periods that lasted 7 days so assumed they wouldn't be up to the job...
  • Rosehip15 said:
    MynaBird said:
    I mentioned this on another thread -- I'm considering ordering more Thinx in a size up from my prepregnancy size. I found out we have a crazy low hospital admission copay, so I'll also be grabbing as many extra pairs of the mesh underwear as I can get my hands on to get me through the first few days.
    Do they really work?  Until I got an IUD (sniff, I was so sad to let that go to TTC) I had HEAVY periods that lasted 7 days so assumed they wouldn't be up to the job...
    They totally work. I only got to use them for one cycle before I got pregnant, but I loved them. Caveat: I have one really heavy day at the beginning of my period and then things are moderate for the next couple of days. I did wear a tampon for the heaviest day. Honestly I think I probably could have gone without, but I didn't want to chance it at work. I think they'll be good for postpartum after the initial worst is over. 
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tawny87Tawny87 member
    edited March 2016
    My hubby was sent to Walmart to buy me underwear after my emergency c. I told him low rise boy shorts underwear. The kind he bought were Hanes, they were cheap, and amazing!!! I have bought more for just lounging around the house and laundry type day underwear.

ETA: these do not have an elastic waistband, it is all the same cotton fabric.
  • I didn't know about the mesh underwear thing. But apparently you can buy those from medical supply stores, if anyone wants to invest in those.
  • I bought 2 sizes to big granny panties! Sure they were a little loose.. But with my incision and the pads.. They did the trick. I'll use those again. 
  • The mesh undies are the best ever. Kudos to whoever invented those bad boys. 

I normally wear plain ol' Hanes or FOTL bikinis and will buy some in a larger size. Heck, I need bigger ones now anyway....
  • Last time, I bought one of the drugstore
    multipacks. Not what I'd wear normally but they do the job. I think I'm going to get some men's boxer briefs this time.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• I just got some of the Thyme Maternity underwear - they are so comfortable!! No elastic and full back coverage :) 

ill be getting some more for post as well 
  • Besides the mesh ones they give you at the hospital, I bought 2 packs of Hanes cotton undies yesterday. One pack of briefs and one pack of boy shorts, both a size bigger than what my normal, pre-pregnancy panties are. they're soft.... and I'm totally wearing them after they come out of the laundry in an hour because I have dubbed today Lazy Saturday. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Besides the mesh ones they give you at the hospital, I bought 2 packs of Hanes cotton undies yesterday. One pack of briefs and one pack of boy shorts, both a size bigger than what my normal, pre-pregnancy panties are. they're soft.... and I'm totally wearing them after they come out of the laundry in an hour because I have dubbed today Lazy Saturday. :)
    Wait, that's super accomplished Saturday in my book if you are doing laundry :)
  • kwife15 said:
    Besides the mesh ones they give you at the hospital, I bought 2 packs of Hanes cotton undies yesterday. One pack of briefs and one pack of boy shorts, both a size bigger than what my normal, pre-pregnancy panties are. they're soft.... and I'm totally wearing them after they come out of the laundry in an hour because I have dubbed today Lazy Saturday. :)
    Wait, that's super accomplished Saturday in my book if you are doing laundry :)
    One half load.... Lol. We are packing out go-bags tomorrow so I needed to get baby's outfit(s) and blankets cleaned, along with some of the new things we got from the shower. :) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • One friend came to my shower and in addition to the normal baby gift, at the bottom of the pack she put like 5 packs of maternity pads and a bag of the mesh disposable undies the hospitals give.  She just had a baby 7 weeks ago and said those were the best thing ever!
  • I bought depends for the first week home. Never thought I'd say that.
  • I just bought some granny panties in a bigger size... Hanes is 15% off at Target If you have Cartwheel
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • My last pregnancy I had got a couple free trial depends and they were awesome. I may go buy a pack.
  • One friend came to my shower and in addition to the normal baby gift, at the bottom of the pack she put like 5 packs of maternity pads and a bag of the mesh disposable undies the hospitals give.  She just had a baby 7 weeks ago and said those were the best thing ever!
    Where can you buy the mesh undies?  I would totally stock up on them.
  • @Rosehip15 Check out amazon
  • @Rosehip15 I saw them on Amazon! Google 'postpartum mesh underwear' and you'll get a ton of links. I would link you but feel like that's a weird search for me to at my work computer looking busy ;-)