October 2015 Moms

Dogs

This is sort of bump related(parenting/safety) and sorry for length and rambling

*disclaimer I am not trying to start a breed debate. I like dogs, grew up with dogs and the daycare has a large dog (pit mix)

We live in a small town outside of Kansas City. I know this comes w/its quirks. however I am not sure what to do. When we bought our house all seemed well and I don't know if its because I'm a mom now and more aware but there are dogs EVERYWHERE running loose. People just let their dogs out in my neighborhood and they go where they want. They neighbor across the street lets his 2 massive rotts and 1 pit out and they're not enclosed and roam the sidewalks. His dogs have never crossed the road and seem to listen to him and he never lets them out unsupervised. They still make me nervous as hell because they're all intimidating looking dogs he is not really the problem though and has been a good neighbor to us so far and helped my husband here and there(he also works for the city so it gets tricky there). There is a house cady corner that has a couple of boxers and a mutt that run everywhere they have zero control of their dogs. The real problem is the new neighbors next door( 4 family complex it was all elderly people when we moved in...not anymore :( ). They have at least 2 pit mixes and no fence or tie up and let them out to use the bathroom and they run. Multiple times they've been in our yard. 2 nights ago I pulled in our drive w/my son in the car and they came running over to my car. They were not showing signs of aggression but I did not exit my car as I have had no interaction with these dogs and am not going to put myself or especially my son in possible danger. If these were labs or another dog I would react the same way (our friends daughter was just attacked by a schnauzer last month so its not breed specific). After honking my horn and waiting about 5 minutes finally the neighbors came and tried to get the dogs it took a while for them to get them off our property. Then this morning my husband left for work first and they were again in our yard by our cars (which is on the opposite side of the house from the neighbors so they cannot see the dogs whatsoever. I do not want to be in fear every time I leave my house or want to take my son on walks or out to play but cannot do so without major anxiety. I called the city and they have "leash laws" that say they dog has to be on a leash or in the owners total control on their property.(I am guessing this law applies to the neighbor across the street). They asked if I wanted to call animal control but they're not going to do anything unless they're out and running when they get there. 

We don't know what to do. I don't want to start a war with the neighborhood but don't know how to take care of this so that my family isn't in fear on our own property or public property even. I understand dogs get out sometimes my parents dog was a runner but he was never intentionally let out to run and these dogs all are. 

Does anyone have advise or experience w/something like this? (if any of this makes sense)

Re: Dogs

• I totally understand and also struggle with loose dogs. I live in LA and in my
    neighborhood people just leave their gates open and dogs come running out when we walk. It makes me nervous with LO but there's not much we can do. We carry pepper spray and make sure to be aware of our surroundings. In your case with the same dogs that belong to your neighbors I might have a conversation with them. Maybe meet the dogs so they know you and you can feel safer. Or ask them to keep them in the yard or under control. It's my experience the city does nothing. Good luck! 
  • I'd say talk to them,  they should know your uncomfortable and if they continue to let their dogs roam then call it in.  
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Loading the player...
  • Agreed. You should talk to the neighbors and get to know the dogs. They could become your best friends.