TTC after 35

HSG cost? (Ins won't cover)

since several of us are from Oregon (and many from the west coast) I wondered if any of you have had to pay completely out of pocket for a HSG? I know my insurance won't cover it if it's for fertility issues, so I'm on my own. 

My OB said IUI was relatively cheap $150-ish, but there's no dye or radiology involved, so I'm thinking HSG is likely $500+?

I think the facility fees are waived if I have it done at the hospital I work at (an hour away), but it'll be worth the hassle if I can save a few hundred dollars.  
Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: HSG cost? (Ins won't cover)

• Hmmm, mine was covered under my Obgyn, but I had recurrent losses. So I'm guessing that's why?
    That's a total bummer if you have to pay out of pocket. @PoeMasque

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hi (lurking a bit) Im in CA and my lab costs for HCG are only $83, all of which insurance covers, but that would be the cost if it did not :-) 
  • Loading the player...
  • I pay out of pocket, but in GA.  HSG was about $600-something.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Im an idiot, you said HSG not HCG. Yeah my HSG cost $607 plus another $327 for the xray. Not sure why they broke it out separately. Sorry for the goof earlier! However it could be worth it, I got pregnant the cycle I had the HSG done, and they say it can increase your odds for some reason, so you never know!
  • @PoeMasque You can call and ask around about cash pay amounts. Insurance didn't cover my HSGs. The billed amount for the first one (ordered by OBGYN) was $575. I had to pay $185 out of pocket upfront. The remaining balance was written off. My second HSG was part of the RE package price.
  • Thanks ladies! I put $500 into my HSA each year, so it sounds like that should cover most of it (unless I can get a sweet cash deal like @MntnGirl !!) I'm thinking if I go to the hospital I work at the whole X-ray fee will be waived, so that's a plus at least. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • *Lurking* Hi, I had my HSG done at an imaging center in Lake Oswego after being referred there by my RE. Insurance actually ended up covering the HSG. It was either because polyps were found so they were able to code it differently or possibly it was deducted from my $500 lifetime maximum coverage for infertility testing. Interestingly, insurance is now refusing to pay for part of the surgery to remove the polyps (saying it was infertility related even though it wasn't - GAH). My insurance was billed closer to $650-$700 (but ended up paying less) so $500 might be about right given that you usually pay less out of pocket. Sorry for the long winded answer/ partial rant. Good luck!
  • I called today and it will cost less than $400 if I pay in full at the time of procedure, so not bad at all! Unfortunately my OB thinks we need to try for a couple more months before doing the HSG :(

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just wanted to update this post, I found out the $400 was actually the cost AFTER insurance covered 80%, the contrast dye alone can cost over $1,000 if you have zero insurance coverage (found out mine does cover fertility diagnostics, just not treatments) 

If I have the HSG done at the hospital I work at (or OHSU) it's covered 100%. Which is awesome! 

I'm supposed to have it done before work next week....anyone have issues with pain after? Am I going to regret working a 12 hour night shift after the procedure?? I've read mixed reviews on post HSG pain online and I'm kind of scared! (I've had endometrial biopsies that hurt like the dickens during, but I was always fine after...)

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Neither of my HSGs were as painful as I expected after watching YouTube videos about it. But those videos did prepare me for what to expect and suggested taking Tylenol 3 before HSG. The hardest part was relaxing and both times they had a hard time inserting the catheter into the cervix, but even that wasn't that bad. When they inject the fluid it is slightly uncomfortable because of the pressure and it felt like mild cramps. My second HSG had a moment of intense pressure from the fluid that made me involuntarily squirm in pain, but it was temporary and I shortly realized it was likely intentional to unblock my blocked tube and it worked. They warned about leaking fluid afterwards, but I didn't seem to have any leaking fluids. I hate to say not to worry about your 12 hour shift because everyone responds to pain differently. For me it wasn't as bad as menstral cramps, and the pain didn't last. I felt tired at work afterwards, but it was probably more from the Tylenol 3 and getting myself all worked up about it. In the end, it's all worth it and I'm so glad to hear your insurance will cover the cost. GL!
  • I just had mine today and it wasn't bad at all.  I went grocery shopping right after.  They made me take 800 mg of ibuprofen before the appointment.  I feel ever so slightly crampy but my menstrual cramps are much worse than this!  They had a hard time keeping the catheter in me as well, and they had to take it out and use a different shaped one.  They didn't get a good look at my left tube but they said the right was good and you only need one good one to get pregnant.  She said if it wasn't flowing through the left tube I would have felt pain.  I hope yours goes just as well!  I'm glad to hear you are 100% covered!!  
    Me: 41
    Husband: 40
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
    Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally
  • Mine was uncomfortable and a little crampy, however the worst part was the anticipation! 
    So glad you're able to get this done and soon! 
     :)@PoeMasque
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks ladies! This makes me feel better about it all. There might be a hang up with the referral for this month, so it may be delayed till May, but this info was really helpful! 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know this is kind of old at this point, but I just found out there is an HSG and then a hysterosonogram...wasn't really sure of the difference until now.  I had the hysterosonogram when I responded above.  I was told this is the least painful of the two.  The HSG has the dye and the fluid is thicker so they have to push harder to make it go through.  The RE is making me have the HSG because they didn't get to see my left tube with the hystereosonogram.  I'm kind of freaking out...they recommended having a driver.  Ugh.  

@PoeMasque - did you have yours yet?
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • @jennh75b have not had mine yet, but they said I would be fine to go to work right after with no problem. They know I have to work a 12 hour night shift after with no possibility of anything stronger than ibuprofen :) 

i have primary dismenorrhea so I have ridiculously horrible cramps every month that I have to go to work with and I figure it can't be worse than that :) 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok, thanks!  H keeps insisting I call his mom to have her take me, but I really don't feel like it.  I get pretty bad cramps so I'll take my chances that I can deal with this!  I already kind of know what to expect having had the other test.  Good luck to you!
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • @PoeMasque - now that I have had the actual HSG, I can say that it was painful during but not really that much after.  As soon as the balloon is deflated it's pretty much over.  The positive part about it is that it really doesn't last very long, so as long as you keep that in mind you can get through it!  Good luck!
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • @jennh75b I'm glad to hear you got through it as I've been sending good thoughts. It must feel great to have this out of the way and have taken this step. Also I really appreciate you documenting your experience for those of us who may have one in our future. Did you end up driving home yourself?

@poemasque have you gone in for yours yet? T&P for you and let us know how it goes! I have to say, you're more resilient than me just doing the 12-hr night shift!
  • jennh75bjennh75b member
    edited April 2016
    @Momifbysea - Thanks!  Yes, I was able to drive with no problem.  I could have gone to work right after, that's how ok I felt, but I had requested off the full day just in case and planned to go in at noon if it wasn't too bad, but I decided to just give myself the day.  I have some spotting and need to wear a pad but otherwise I've had menstrual cramps worse than this.  Literally as soon as the test is done I was pretty decent.  They give you antibiotics to take the day before, the day of, and day after.  Well, yesterday I threw up after taking them - I have a very sensitive stomach due to having gastric bypass surgery, and I even ate a big breakfast but still got sick.  They say that the risk of infection is rare but they give the antibiotics as a precaution, so I may not take every dose...it seems to affect me more so in the morning than when I take it with dinner.  And they had me take 4 pills of Advil one hour prior to the test to help with the cramping during the test.
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • @jennh75b  thank you for the report back! Good to know it's short and not painful after. I spoke with the OB yesterday and we will do the HSG in about a week (CD 5-6). I asked him about the pain, I've had endometrial biopsies and he said the pain during will be less than that (whew!) and I should be fine to work after.

If you've started the antibiotics you need to finish them though. Even if the risk of infection is small you will develop resistant bacteria if you stop antibiotics early.

@Momifbysea thanks! 12 hour shifts are awesome, you only work 3 days a week! :) 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Just wanted to post an update. I had my HSG today (initial read was normal!). There were some issues getting the tube through my cervix - apparently my cervix is stiff and small, all I can say is ouch!!! Super painful while the OB was trying to push it through. They ended up using a smaller tube and it was fine. Had they used that from the beginning the whole thing would have been a breeze. Only mild cramping when they clamped my cervix and when injecting the dye. I've had some cramping after, but I wonder how much of that is due to the trauma from shoving the bigger tube halfway into my cervix. 

I think my OB is terrible. With someone more experienced and better at their job this likely would have been easy and much less painful. This guy was the only person with an opening before June, now I know why. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @PoeMasque glad it is over and you got the normal read! That does not sound pleasant! How was your birthday weekend?
  • Well congrats on getting it over with and having good results!  Sorry there was trouble and probably unnecessary pain involved.  

Happy belated? birthday!  
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • Thanks for all the bday wishes ladies!

My birthday weekend was amazing! My SO maybe a procrastinator, but he is a very thoughtful one. He planned a trip to the coast and made me a packet about birdwatching spots (we recently got into birding - nerdy I know!). The day before we left he gave me some fancy binoculars, so we had all kinds of fun trying to spot tiny birds in the trees while we hiked around the coast. It was lovely. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Wow, that sounds like a great birthday trip...way to go to your H!  

As for the bird watching, I've always been somewhat drawn to birds.  My family used to say I would get a hold of the camera on vacation and all I took pictures of were birds (like at Disney World).  We have a woodpecker who now lives in our tree and H and I are so fascinated by it.  I'm always looking for it when I go outside.  But, I've never gone out and specifically looked for birds like on an outing.  They are definitely interesting, though!
    TTC#1 since 9/2014