Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Baby has dry skin

kristakayyyekristakayyye member
edited March 2016 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
My LO's hands are peeling and her feet also seem a little dry, she's a little over a week old so I know lotion is not an option. Any suggestions on what to do?

Re: Baby has dry skin

• Options
    My LO's hands are peeling and her feet also seem a little dry, she's a little over a week old so I know lotion is not an option. Any suggestions on what to do?
    Just leave it alone. She's sloughing off the skin that she had as an outer layer when she was in the womb and it comes off. My LO was peeling all over, but especially her hands, feet, and face. It gets much better after a couple of weeks. I did put baby lotion on her though, especially after a bath 
  • Options
    Totally normal as PP said. I didn't use lotion and the peeking stopped after a few days. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    ...why isn't lotion an option? 
  • Options
    4N6s said:
    ...why isn't lotion an option? 
    I was wondering the same thing. I asked at the hospital if they recommended lotion or no lotion and they said to go for it
  • Options
    Using baby products that contain chemicals in the early months can trigger the immune system to fight off the unknown substance and cause allergies, asthma or eczema. 
    Use olive or coconut oil if you really think moisturizing is necessary.

• Options
    Breastmilk!!! But really. Let the natural oils in baby's skin work themselves out before you expose it to chemicals. I didn't put any lotions on my sons skin and it cleared up quickly and haven't had any big breakouts. He's almost a month old now 
  • Options
    Agreed that it's 100% normal and lotion is not necessary. It will slough off on its own.
  • Options
    Breastmilk!!! But really. Let the natural oils in baby's skin work themselves out before you expose it to chemicals. I didn't put any lotions on my sons skin and it cleared up quickly and haven't had any big breakouts. He's almost a month old now 
    This ⤴️ .... Breastmilk is the best thing to use or just let it go. 
  • Options
    I asked my pediatrician about this and she said cetiphil baby oil was OK to use. But I only used it once a day making sure to cover her hands after so she wouldn't stick them in her mouth. And keep the oil away from her eyes.
  • Options
    You can use lotion, just not on the hands.  My DD wasn't free of dry skin until almost 2 months old.