March 2016 Moms

My personal birth experience

I just wanted to tell people how MY experience went, because I always find it interesting to read what people went through and how different labor can be for every person... I was due on March 9th and gave birth March 6th (yes this post is a little late lol). The day before I went into labor I felt really ill like I had the flu, but I had no fever when I took my temperature. I also ate some reaaaaaally spicy chili for lunch that day (despite feeling feverish) and Im not saying it kickstarted labor but you never know lol. In my last few weeks of pregnancy I drank raspberry leaf tea and was taking primrose oil capsules (1 orally every morning and 2 inserted at night). I woke up Sunday morning March 6 at 8:30 am with contractions lasting 30 seconds long and they were 2 1/2 mins apart, sometimes closer together like 1 1/2 mins. Sometimes they were 3 mins apart and sometimes they lasted 20 seconds and sometimes 40... I think my water broke when I got up to pee (Im pretty darn sure but it wasnt a HUGE gush, it was more like I peed myself on the way to the toilet, but I know it wasnt pee...) I called the maternity center and they said it wasnt normal for contractions to start out that close together and it was probably false labor and I should shower and see if they go away. Well they didn't. The contractions weren't so painful at first, more like light period cramps. I didnt know they were contractions at first until I started paying attention to their rythm. They started getting worse in intensity and eventually they told me to come in around 2 o clock. When I got there I was only 2 cm dilated so I got sent home. The contractions were already pretty crippling and it was disappointing to hear I wasnt far along at all. A few hours later (around 5) I called them again because I could not take the pain and wanted to go back and see how far I was. The midwife told me I needed to relax and just ride through them because tensing up was going to keep me from progressing. She told me to come in at 8 pm but until then to try and relax as much as possible. GUYS I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH! Its SO hard to relax when you're in that much pain, but it WILL help you progress quicker if you sit and take it instead of fight it. A couple times the contractions were so bad I felt like I would throw up and during one of them I DID. I got up out of bed and couldnt even make it to the toilet. I dont even know how I threw up so much considering my stomach had already been empty pretty much but my poor husband was covered in my vomit and I just barely missed the dog. It was not pretty, let me tell you. When 8 o clock rolled around I got to the midwife and she said I was 6 cm and would be staying (yay!). She set up the room for me, put me on the antobiotics for GBS and an hr later I told her I felt like I had to push. She checked and I was 10 cm already! After about an hour of pushing (which everyone says is the good part because you're actively involved-I also found it the most painful part) and some 2nd degree tearing, I finally got to hold my son. He came out with the chord around his neck twice and some fluid in his lungs (he didnt breathe right away) which the midwife quickly got out with a small tube down his throat. Everything was fine though thank G-d and he didn't even need oxygen. He was born at 10:05 pm on a Sunday and weighed 6 lbs 8 oz (smaller than I expected) and 20 1/4" long. He also is probably the cutest newborn I have ever seen. No joke, straight from the womb he was cute, which is not something I expected. Anyone wondering what stitches feel like... Theyre not THAT bad. The inner ones I didnt feel, the outer ones were a little painful but once youve pushed out a child you really dont care anymore. Now the best part is we had THREE ultrasounds and they all said he was a SHE. Everything I bought was pink. The entire nursery was pink! When he came out my husband said "Oh my gosh!" and I was sitting there like "No..." and the midwife said "Well someone was wrong!" Then she told me the ultrasound guy had been wrong lately 50% of the time (gee thanks lol!) When my husband texted everyone telling them "Its a boy!" they all thought he was playing a prank on them until he sent them naked baby pics to prove it lol. Now its day 11 with little Benji (Benjamin) and he just gets cuter every day. It can get rough sometimes but man is it worth it guys. I still cant believe Im not pregnant anymore sometimes. It feels like I was pregnant forever and its hard to mentally adjust. Now Im just waiting for these stretch marks to fade and for my stomach to slowly go back to "normal." Nursing isnt quite as painful as it was the first couple days, but man do babies have a GRIP (OW!) I cant wait for it to be painless! Here's wishing everyone luck and just letting you know, everyones experience is different. My contactions were close together from the start, thats not a typical occurence and it even had the midwives temporarily stunned. At the same time, I just KNEW it was all real, and it turned out I was right. And I would do it all again. Not right away (lol!) but I would. Its empowering to think I managed to have a natural med-free childbirth and I SURVIVED. I got through it. And when that baby is finally out of you you feel so rejuvinated and full of adrenaline, its such an amazing feeling. I got to go home the next morning and I got to spend that first night in the center with my sleeping baby in my arms. :) I will attach some photos soon when I get to a computer. :) I want you guys to see what you all have to look forward to.

Re: My personal birth experience