Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Clomid Prescription

I have been TTC for over a year (since I got married in January 2015) - before that I was an expert at not getting pregnant. Now that we feel we are ready we are having no luck. My doctor prescribed me Clomid - should I go for it or try to wait it out a bit longer? 

Re: Clomid Prescription

• Options
    @MrsNechi That would depend greatly on why you are not conceiving. Until you have done all of the testing, and there is a lot, I would not blindly take Clomid. Why has your doctor chosen to prescribe it? Have you been diagnosed with anything in particular and taken other steps to fix the issue?
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Options
    @nwegman7878All my blood results came back fine. She found tiny cysts on my ovaries but she said they should not be what isn't allowing me to get pregnant and that they can be treated post baby since they don't show any immediate threat. She said it is possible I am not ovulating and it would be a more aggressive approach. My husband has since gone for his testing and we are waiting on the results. I plan to hold on this cycle and start in April. What is your experience with it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @atcwag I am definitely going to wait for the SA to come back from the lab, I've gone through a countless amount of ovulation kits, basal body temp charting, app tracking etc and to no avail. I know for sure the stress doesn't help the situation. 
  • Options
    Are your charts showing ovulation?

I am on my second round of Clomid. I didn't really have any side effects except for night sweats a few nights. My first round of 50mg I had two follicles but they didn't reach optimal size. This time I'm on 100mg and I responded much better. I would definitely second working with an RE so you can have the proper monitoring. Also an HSG to determine if your tubes are clear. 

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    MrsNechi said:
    @atcwag I am definitely going to wait for the SA to come back from the lab, I've gone through a countless amount of ovulation kits, basal body temp charting, app tracking etc and to no avail. I know for sure the stress doesn't help the situation. 
    What does "to no avail" mean?  As in, you didn't get pregnant?  Did you confirm O with temping/charting and have well timed sex for at least a year?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    MrsNechi said:
    @nwegman7878All my blood results came back fine. She found tiny cysts on my ovaries but she said they should not be what isn't allowing me to get pregnant and that they can be treated post baby since they don't show any immediate threat. She said it is possible I am not ovulating and it would be a more aggressive approach. My husband has since gone for his testing and we are waiting on the results. I plan to hold on this cycle and start in April. What is your experience with it?
    **TW: Loss briefly mentioned**

Along the lines of what PP are saying, is BBT charting confirming ovulation? If you are ovulating normally there are few reasons to take Clomid. I fall into that category but have had different issues. I'm on my first cycle of Clomid but I have a history of recurrent miscarriage, APS & LPD. I am also on baby aspirin and progesterone supplements. Clomid was suggested by my doctor due to potential egg quality issues and also to help with stabilizing my hormones as my medicated progesterone cycle still only came in at 10. The side effects for me include hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, headaches, and recently starting with pinching pains. Clomid is not a cure all medication and I appreciate that you are researching to make an informed decision in regards to taking it. If you are unsure if your BBT charting is showing ovulation, you can participate on our WTO(Waiting to Ovulate) or TWW(Two Week Wait) boards and ask under CS(Chart Stalk). Everyone here can give you feedback as most if not all of us chart daily.
    Me: 23 | DH: 27
    Married: 10.11.15
    MC #1: June 2014
    MC #2: December 2015
    APS Diagnosis: February 2016
    BFP 7/24, EDD 4/5/17
    Previously nweg...7878
  • Options
    Have you had an HSG or HSC?  Don't take Clomid without proper testing, bloodwork and US aren't going to tell you if your tubes are blocked.  If you are just seeing an OBGYN that blindly prescribed it because you've been TTC for a year I would find a new doctor (preferably a RE).  Also a Clomid cycle should be monitored through out with proper blood work and US.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I take Femara (similar) and had to have tons of work ups done before and I go in for at least one ultrasound every month. You should be monitored in this medication and if your OB is prescribing this "just because" I would definitely find a new OB and preferably an RE. 
    BFP#1 6/2013: MMC 8/2013 @ 6 wks, 3 d
    BFP#2 1/2014: CP 1/2014 @ 3 wks, 4 d
    BFP#3 4/2014: MC 4/2014 @ 4 wks, 1 d
    Break until Dec 2014
    Femara, aspirin and progesterone started 12/2015
    Still working on #2!

• Options
    My RE prescribed me a low dose of Clomid in response to anovulatory cycles and I'm going for it. (I was referred to RE after 100+ day cycle, even though TTC <1 year). He did bloodwork before RX and I had recently had a physical exam--but told me that US is not necessary in my case. He's just going to check my progesterone on CD 21 to confirm ovulation. I had done my HW and lurked old threads so I knew the risks but he was super dismissive of all that...so with a bit of trepidation I'm giving my trust to my doctor instead of to the internet. He said my lifetime max for Clomid is 12 cycles and if I'm not KU after 3 THEN he will suggest SA and other infertility assessments. --> Then again I'm in a different boat from you because I'm only 10 mo TTC.

(Sidebar, I know that seeing an RE before 1 year TTC is not a popular choice on this board so for what it's worth: I had no trouble getting an appointment with the RE in my OBGYN practice so I don't think that I displaced a woman who had a greater need. I had multiple anovulatory 60+ day cycles, and was referred to RE by OB at my annual exam)
  • Options
    Pookieson said:
    I take Femara (similar) and had to have tons of work ups done before and I go in for at least one ultrasound every month. You should be monitored in this medication and if your OB is prescribing this "just because" I would definitely find a new OB and preferably an RE. 
    I have also used Femara and Clomid. Femara is by far better. And yes, if you are taking any medication, you should be monitored. Good luck!
  • Options
    My RE prescribed me a low dose of Clomid in response to anovulatory cycles and I'm going for it. (I was referred to RE after 100+ day cycle, even though TTC <1 year). He did bloodwork before RX and I had recently had a physical exam--but told me that US is not necessary in my case. He's just going to check my progesterone on CD 21 to confirm ovulation. I had done my HW and lurked old threads so I knew the risks but he was super dismissive of all that...so with a bit of trepidation I'm giving my trust to my doctor instead of to the internet. He said my lifetime max for Clomid is 12 cycles and if I'm not KU after 3 THEN he will suggest SA and other infertility assessments. --> Then again I'm in a different boat from you because I'm only 10 mo TTC.

(Sidebar, I know that seeing an RE before 1 year TTC is not a popular choice on this board so for what it's worth: I had no trouble getting an appointment with the RE in my OBGYN practice so I don't think that I displaced a woman who had a greater need. I had multiple anovulatory 60+ day cycles, and was referred to RE by OB at my annual exam)
    What will you do if you end up pregnant with multiples?  I had four mature follicles during my first cycle on clomid.  I only found out because of the ultrasound.  I decided to cancel because I did not want to have a selective abortion (which are done between week 12-14 of pregnancy, fyi).
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    I was also prescribed Clomid for my next cycle yet have wondered if maybe I should take a step back and wait a couple more cycles before starting it. My DH had really low SA results the first time but this second one was all in normal range. I also have PCOS but if my DH had low sperm for the last year then TTC would have been harder for us, so now that he is in normal range I think we may try a few cycles on our own first. I have had a few anovulatory cycles this year as well but if I temp regularly I can take advantage of the cycles where I do ovulate. 

I don't know if I would consider taking Clomid without my DH having had two SA's and myself having had a sono HSG to know that everything is working as it should.

If you are concerned about it I would definitely consider seeing a RE for a full work up before you start it just to know there aren't other factors affecting your fertility. 

@EgnaroBean - My doctor recommended seeing a RE after 6 months of TTC, but I didn't listen and waited a year and totally regretted it. I knew I had anovulatory cycles as well as irregular cycles and a short LP so I wish I would have listened to her and saw the RE earlier. I think often the women here recommend a year because of cost, but I live in Canada and there is no cost to seeing a RE so there is no reason not to see them once you have identified issues that may affect your fertility. 

• Options
    @JohnnaToo this may be a helpful thread for you to read. Especially @TheBorg7of9 's comment. 
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    @Everycol0r Hm, maybe. It's a women's clinic in a large university health system. When I look up my charts or appointments from his office on my online portal, it says "OBGYN Reproductive Indocrinology" or "REI". His WebMD profile says that he's board certified in Fertility & Reproductive Endocrinology--looks like he did his residency in OB and his fellowship in RE.... What letters or certifications or other professional qualifications do you looks for in an RE?

• Options
    I did two rounds of Clomid and experienced ovarian pain due to cyst growth/PCOS.  It also made my CM very dry and sticky which isn't good for natural conception.  We opted to skip it this cycle and just let nature take it's course.   If you have PCOS you should be getting ultrasounds to make sure they aren't growing too large, which they were in my case. 

Me: 34 DH: 36
    TTC#2 September 2015
    DD #1 born July 2014
    Clomid 50 mg x2 months- no ovulation
    Clomid 100mg x 2 months- confirmed ovulation first month, BFN
  • Options
    My two cents...If your dr suggested Clomid they probably know more about your history and medical info than the info you have provided us (maybe I am wrong). If you have tested etc and your eager to start TTC then yeah I don't know why you wouldn't start Clomid after your dr's recommendation/prescription and give it a go...just keep in contact with your Dr and do as they recommend. Personally I only did Clomid a few cycles before it was clear it wasn't working on me and I am glad I started when I did being that I am on cycle 10 of  almost 18 months and now trying IUI's....but to each there own. My DH has a good sperm count but we didn't even test him until I was roughly 2 cycles in (again due to distance).

My only note is that my Dr (because we live far away from the Dr and because she was trying to keep the cost down for us) didn't do progesterone tests to confirm I was o'ing or not nor did they do ultrasounds with my early Clomid and Letrozole cycles...I would have liked to know now more of what those results were. 

Also in my case Letrozole wasn't working properly when I wasn't taking Meteformin (I took a cycle off from Met).

If your wanting to do something sooner and wanting to hold off from Clomid you could always look into Accupunture as a starting method that really doesn't have any bad side effects or issues. :)

Best of luck!  
    Me: 37 DH: 32 TTGP Since 2014 INFERTILITY INFO (Medicated, IUI's, IVF/FET) IN SPOILER
    October 2014-April 2015: Without Medication or Doctor Guidance No Periods/No O BFN 
    Medicated April-December 2015: Clomid (didn't work) and so we tried Femera/Letrozole. Progesterone Met 1000 Not diagnosed PCOS but treating the same. Anovulatory. TI No US No O BFN 

- TW - 
    IUI"S 
    January 2016-October 2016: Letrozole 2.5mg-7.5 mg, Pregyl or Ovideral Trigger Shot.
    9 cycles of IUI
    (7 Cancelled due to no mature follicles) (2 attempted IUI's with mature follicles)  

IUI # 2 June 2016 and July 2016:  Met 1000, Estrogen (21 days), Progesterone (5 days) Femera 5m 6/28/16 Ultrasound CD14 = 25 follie. Pregnyl Trigger CD14 IUI 7/13 1stBeta (DPO 15): 7.6 (Surprise BFP...but Low #'s) 2ndBeta (DPO 17): 18 3rdBeta (DPO 19) 52.8 Progesterone Prescribed (spotting) 4thBeta (DPO 26) 6.9 Chemical Pregnancy BFN

IVF and FET (diagnosed with PCOS) 204 pounds at start of IVF
    IVF # 1 October and November 2016: CCRM - Minneapolis 10/14 Consult and CD 3 testing, 10/14 started (OCP Antagonist - BCP) BCP, 10/21 1 day work up, Doxycycline 100mg 10 days, 10/24 stop bcp, Bloodwork US 10/29, 10/30-11/8 Stims 2 vials of Menopur, Dexamethasone, 225 of Gonal-F daily (dropped to 120). CCRM Vitamin Cocktail (like 20 of them), Monitoring (11/2, 11/4, 11/5, 11/6, 11/7, 11/8), Retrieval 11/10 (38 eggs, 30 mature, 16 fertilized ICSI), 11/16 8 Blasts 11/30 CCS testing results 3 Normal 5aa's (2 boys and 1 girl) 1 Unknown 4 Abnormal (All girls) 

Fet #1 January 2017: CCRM - Minneapolis bcp/lupron/suppository/p4 in oil QOD AF 12/7, 12/8 start meds. 1/3 lining and blood work check 14/15 mm, BW check 1/6. 1/9 transfer with acupuncture 1 CCS/PGS Normal 5aa hatching Progesterone around 26ish? Lower estrogen level 207 (wanted above 300 but over 200 was acceptable), started 1 estrace, progesterone in oil every other day, vivelle dot patches 4 every other day, 3x estrodiol daily, vitamin cocktail. POAS: - 4dp5dt and 5dp5dt, 6dp5dt frer very very very faint line. 7dp5dt and 8dp5dt + on Accuclear. 8dp5dt pregnant on a clear blue easy digital. 214 pounds at FET
    1/18 #1 Beta 91.1
    1/20 #2 Beta 215.9
    2/3 6 week US 2 sacs? Twins? but only 1 heartbeat/pole good heartbeat Stopped taking baby asprin Added in DHEA Veg Vitamin (also got the report that they transferred a girl 5aa eggo) 
    2/10 7 week US 2 sacs (likely vanishing twin) only 1 heartbeat/pole etc good heartbeat 137
    2/24 9 week US 1 eggo sac good heart beat 182 1 very small fluid sac (shrinking) 
    2/24 9 week 2 days start weening. Graduated from RE (CCRM is now starting weening as soon as 8.5 weeks)
    3/7 10 Weeks 5 days  weened completely of FET meds A1C 5.3% (Normal)
    3/9 11 Weeks 1 day my progesterone level was 15 and my estrogen level was 881 (I freaked out!)
    3/16 12 Weeks 1 day baby heard on doppler 164 HB
    4/14 16 week 2 days Ultrasound baby is looking good with all good numbers sized 17 weeks. Also got to hear her on the doppler for a few mins too. 

5/5 19 Weeks 2 days going in for "20" week anatomy ultrasound got measurements but need to come back as wasn't able to get all the measurements
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 4.6 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (78%) HC 17.0 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (70%) AC 14.5 cm 19 weeks 4 days* (69%) Femur 3.1 cm 19 weeks 6 days* (63%) Humerus 3.1 cm 20 weeks 2 days (84%) Cerebellum 2.0 cm 19 weeks 5 days
    CisternaMagna 6.2 mm Nuchal Fold 4.5 mm
    HC/AC 1.17 FL/AC 0.22 FL/BPD 0.68 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 309 grams - 0 lbs 11 oz
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 19 weeks 5 days +/- 10 days.

6/9 24 Weeks 2 days Glucose Test 1 hour (Failed) 190
    6/16 25 Weeks 2 days Ultrasound and 1st Baby Shower 
    6/20 25 Weeks 6 days Glucose Test 3 Hours (Failed) 95 (95), 183 (180), 213 (155), 198 (140) etc
    6/21 26 Weeks Recommended to a perintologist
    6/22 26 Weeks 1 day start monitoring blood sugar levels 
    6/30 27 Weeks 2 day A1 (blood sugar test ordered)

7/5 28 Weeks Echo and 3d Ultrasound
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 2.6 Q2: 3.2 Q3: 4.8 Q4: 5.6 AFI Total = 16.3 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal 
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 7.2 cm 28 weeks 5 days* (60%) HC 26.4 cm 28 weeks 4 days* (48%) AC 23.3 cm 27 weeks 4 days* (36%) Femur 5.2 cm 28 weeks 0 days* (36%) Humerus 4.8 cm 28 weeks 0 days (49%)
    HC/AC 1.13 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.73 Ceph Index 0.77 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1142 grams - 2 lbs 8 oz (37%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 28 weeks 1 day +/- 14 days.

7/10 28 Weeks 5 days Dietitian Appt and Lactatcian Consultant and A1 blood draw 5.4% (normal) 218.5 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks GD consult. 6 Lantus at 7pm daily. Novolog 1 unit for every 15 gm carbohydrate if consumed more than 30 gm at brkfst or 60 gm at lunch or supper 215.6 pounds
    7/20 30 Weeks Transferred care to OB due to high risk. 216 pounds

8/2 32 Weeks Ultrasound (not cooperative and still breech) and then weekly NST's
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.0 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (44%) HC 29.2 cm 31 weeks 6 days* (22%) AC 26.9 cm 31 weeks 0 days* (24%)  Femur 6.3 cm 32 weeks 2 days* (57%) Humerus 5.7 cm 32 weeks 6 days (71%)
    HC/AC 1.08 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.78 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 1808 grams - 3 lbs 15 oz (29%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 31 weeks 6 days +/- 18 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.4 Q2: 2.9 Q3: 2.9 Q4: 4.4 AFI Total = 13.6 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/8 32w6d upped to 1:10 for dinner 
    8/11 Baby Shower
    8/13 Baby Shower
    8/16 34 weeks NST good reading Upped to 8 at bed for fasting and 1:7 for dinner 
    8/18 Dr Appt

8/24 35 weeks 1 day (was suppose to be scheduled for 36 weeks) Weeks Ultrasound/GD Dr Appt/OB Appt 
    Frank Breech
    MEASUREMENTS BPD 8.9 cm 35 weeks 6 days* (67%) HC 31.7 cm 35 weeks 1 day * (35%) AC 30.2 cm 34 weeks 2 days* (33%) Femur 6.9 cm 34 weeks 6 days* (57%) Humerus 6.0 cm 34 weeks 6 days (64%)
    HC/AC 1.05 FL/AC 0.23 FL/BPD 0.78 Ceph Index 0.80 EFW (Ac/Fl/Hc) 2494 grams - 5 lbs 8 oz (39%)
    THE AVERAGE GESTATIONAL AGE is 35 weeks 1 day +/- 21 days.
    AMNIOTIC FLUID Q1: 3.3 Q2: 3.8 Q3: 2.4 Q4: 3.8 AFI Total = 13.4 cm Amniotic Fluid: Normal

8/31 36 Weeks
    9/7 37 Weeks
    9/10 Water broke...I got it tested at the emergency room it it showed it was negative. More water breaking and didn't go to the dr.
    9/11 37 weeks 4 days Called the Dr and got retested for water breaking...
    10:30pmish Baby Girl Born via Emergency C Section (Frank Breech Baby) 6lbs 3oz  -
    9/13 Dropped to 5 pounds 10oz and had jaundice 
    9/13 38 weeks

9/22 39 Weeks 2 days C Section Scheduled for 10am (arrive at 8am) Equinox/Solstice
    EDD 9/27
  • Options
    *lurking*trigger warning*

@egnarobean - max lifetime for clomid is 6 cycles because it can cause irreparable thinning of the uterine lining making it impossible for a fertilized egg to implant. There's a laundry list of awful side effects of clomid - do your research. It's a powerful drug. You may be risking your future fertility. 

Most dr's agree to change treatment if something isn't proven successful after 3 cycles. 12 cycles is wayyyyy too many. 

Also, lurk moar. Because clomid is discussed frequently around these parts. 
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    TTC #1 - Nov '14
    BFP 2/3/16  EDD 10/16/16
    DS born 10/18

LFAF: Frankly Disturbing