September 2015 Moms

Outgrowing Swing

While our son is awake and we're at home I rotate him through his different play activities in different orders throughout the day to mix it up for him. He does lots of tummy time on the floor (playing with toys, trying to crawl, rolling), exersaucer, sit me up chair, me carrying him through the house, and swing.

I like to use the swing for a few minutes sometimes so I know I can grab something to eat, get a few dishes done, a few minutes of relief, and to help calm him before nap time.  Just recently when we put him in the swing, he still fits fine, but won't sit back in it unless he is completely exhausted.  This morning he was leaning out to the side so he could watch the mobile go around from the side instead of underneath.  Totally looks unsafe!  He's buckled in, but it makes me nervous that it will tip!  He will also lean forward and sit instead of resting on the backrest.  

Is there something as a next step after the swing to use for older babies?  We don't have a jumper, would he outgrow that soon too?  Looking for something else we could use to help entertain him while mommy gets a few minutes of freedom!

Re: Outgrowing Swing

• Our 6.5-month-old LOVES his jumper. I'm hoping it lasts awhile, but he's also pretty tall (28 inches) and is on the highest height setting already, so we'll see!

We just started using the Pack n Play as a little contained play area for him when we can't watch him at all times since he's starting to get mobile. We put a variety of toys in there and he scoots around backwards and rolls around in there :)
  • edited March 2016
    I use the high chair as a new place for my lil guy to play. I wheel it into the kitchen while I wash bottles or do whatever chore in there and he gets to see what I'm doing and I talk to him while I'm doing it, be up at a higher level than normal, and play with the toys I put on the tray. It typically buys me 30min of time. He doesn't eat in it yet since we haven't started solids but I figure it doesn't hurt to develop a happy association with it. And it's a more calm play time since he's not able to squirm around a bunch in there like the exersaucer. It hasn't happened yet but if he does happen to fall asleep it has a reclining option as well which is nice.
  • Loading the player...
  • A jumper or an exersaucer is great.  I don't think he will outgrow it for awhile. I also use a pack n play or a playpen for a few minutes of peace if I need it. 
  • edited March 2016
    DD loves the jumparoo and the doorway jumper we have. I think there is still plenty of time for it. We also have a infant seat that turns to a toddler rocking chair that she loves. It can be used for a long time. 
  • My lo does this in her bouncy seat. I'm afraid she's going to flip it she leans so far over, so we stopped using it. In the kitchen I strap her in her rock n play with a bunch of toys. She sits up in it, but at least she can't hang out the side. I also put her in her booster with her tray and bring stuff to the table so she can watch me. We have a jumper, but she uses it as a swing instead and walks herself back then swings head first at the door frame so we are holding off on that until she gets the concept of jumping better. 
  • DD loves the jumparoo and the doorway jumper we have. I think there is still plenty of time for it. We also have a infant seat that turns to a toddler rocking chair that she loves. It can be used for a long time. 
    We have this too! Got it for free from a Facebook garage sale site and love it!
  • DD just graduated from the FP cradle n swing to the rainforest jumperoo. The swing was not enough activity for her, plus she was pulling the fabric and putting it into her mouth. She's a little small for the jumperoo but she really likes it, and it's handy when I need to contain her for a few minutes! 
  • We have a jumper and sometimes she'll play in the high chair or pack n play.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DD loves her Rainforest Jumperoo and Exersaucer. The exersaucer would last longer since it comes apart as an activity table to play/stand at over the next few years. She still naps on weekends in the swing but is too big for the RNP. We also use our high chair with toys and the pack n play as well just to change things up a bit. 
  • Omg I put the baby in the momaroo thingy yesterday for a quick minute and he was so startled when I turned it on!  He hasn't been in it in so long I guess he forgot it moved.  Definitely too big for it though.  It sounded like it was really working hard to move.  Haha!