May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday 3/10/16

Let's hear those unpopular opinions!

Re: UO Thursday 3/10/16

• Loading the player...
  • vinerie said:
    I like gender-neutral names. No one else does, though, which is why EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know IRL has turned their nose up at my top name choice: Tristan. 

Tristan would be at the top of our baby name list if it didn't sound terrible with our last name, so no nose-turning up here :)
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• I don't like my Snoogle. In fact, I only use occasionally it to prop myself up when reading or something. It's not comfortable to sleep with. Maybe I'll go back to it in the final 2 months of pregnancy..otherwise waste of 60 bucks!
  • PYLWhammy said:
    I don't like my Snoogle. In fact, I only use occasionally it to prop myself up when reading or something. It's not comfortable to sleep with. Maybe I'll go back to it in the final 2 months of pregnancy..otherwise waste of 60 bucks!
    How tall are you? I'm 6 feet tall and I think the snuggle needs another 4 inches for it to work with me. So, yeah, count me in the $60 loss club. Actually, I think mine cost more than that. :( 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• vinerie said:
    I like gender-neutral names. No one else does, though, which is why EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know IRL has turned their nose up at my top name choice: Tristan. 

I've always like that name, but it wasn't on our list because DH and I have a friend by the same name and it's unusual enough that it would have seemed like we were naming our son after him (which would have been weird since we aren't super close). Also, everyone in my immediate family (both parents, both sisters, and I) all have first names that start with "T." When my oldest sister married her first husband (also a "T" name), my mom was so upset that they didn't give either of their children a "T" name. She made such a huge deal out of it that, even though the "tradition" has been broken (oldest niece, nephew, DH, my sis's current husband, my other BIL, or youngest niece aren't "Ts"), I wasn't going to give my mom the satisfaction! Even her dogs' names start with "Ts." It's ridiculous! 
  • vinerie said:
    PYLWhammy said:
    I don't like my Snoogle. In fact, I only use occasionally it to prop myself up when reading or something. It's not comfortable to sleep with. Maybe I'll go back to it in the final 2 months of pregnancy..otherwise waste of 60 bucks!
    How tall are you? I'm 6 feet tall and I think the snuggle needs another 4 inches for it to work with me. So, yeah, count me in the $60 loss club. Actually, I think mine cost more than that. :( 
    I'm 5'7", which I guess is fairly average but I've also thought it would work better if I was shorter. I just can't find any configuration that is actually comfortable!
  • Birth plans that are composed with extreme detail - I don't get it. No shade to those who desire that level of planning but that would stress me out to no end. I honestly don't care as long as the baby and I are healthy and well taken care of. I wrote high-level college essays with complete outlines that were less detailed than some of the birth plans I've seen. 
    I feel the same way about detailed birth plans but can we agree not use the saying "no shade" ever again? ;)
    Haha but it's part of me! How about...No disrespect? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I hate grilled cheese sandwiches.

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • PYLWhammy said:
    Spylon said:

I hate grilled cheese sandwiches.

LOL! Pretty much the reaction I always get when I dare say that out loud!

Image result for green dog

Me: 30 DH: 32
    BFP #1: 9/12/2015
    DD: 6/1/2016
    BFP #2: 1/16/2018 MC 2/2/2018
  • VS2016 said:
    I cannot stand any mint chocolate food....   I love mint, I love chocolate, but together it is disgusting...  It is like brushing your teeth while eating chocolate! Gross 
    OMG Yes! Me too! I have never met anyone else who hates mint chocolate and now don't feel like such a weirdo! Thank you! :smile: 
    vinerie said: I like gender-neutral names. No one else does, though, which is why EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know IRL has turned their nose up at my top name choice: Tristan. 

Gender-neutral names rock and Tristan rocks most of all for me since my OB is named Tristan and she is basically the best doctor I have ever met and I practically worship her! It's a beautiful name :smile: 

My UO is I am still not used to and dislike American-style iced tea drinks. The two places I'm from (Europe, Canada) have a sweeter iced tea with various flavous like peach or passion fruit that taste saturated with flavour. And here in the US, I always forget that iced tea is literally just iced tea. And then I order it and taste it and am like "Damn, I forgot. Why? Why, America!?" :neutral: 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Birth plans that are composed with extreme detail - I don't get it. No shade to those who desire that level of planning but that would stress me out to no end. I honestly don't care as long as the baby and I are healthy and well taken care of. I wrote high-level college essays with complete outlines that were less detailed than some of the birth plans I've seen. 
    So as a person that likes detailed plans... I think a detailed plan will help ME think about all of my options and figure out what will/can be happening. That said, I do NOT think it is necessary to present a detailed plan to the medical staff. I think my doctor has a worksheet with the basics to fill out. The "plan" I discuss with my doctor will likely be... I would like to be able to move around and have an unmedicated birth, but let's see how things go. I just won't be sharing my detailed list (likely including some sort of spread sheet) that thinks of everything, I keep that amount of crazy to myself  :p
  • swflJD said:
    My UO is that it rubs me the wrong way when I get mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. [DH's first and last name]. First of all, my last name is a hyphenated combination of my maiden name and DH's last name. Second, it's like, "Hello! I have my own first name, too!" I don't go around calling myself Mrs. DH! I know it's traditionally appropriate to address formal correspondence that way, but it really irks me. I think it would still bother me just as much, even if I had taken DH's last name.
    YES! I very happily took MH's last name and ditched my maiden name (I have always hated the way it sounds and my father is a douche so I was so happy to be rid of any relation to him!), but it still weirds me out that I am Mrs. MH's First and Last name. I am not Mrs. Dominic D____, I am Mrs. Lauren D_____. Is that so hard to write?

I remember addressing our wedding invitations and I was so careful to be respectful of hyphenated names and couples with different last names. My god parents are Eric S____ and Julie G___-S____. So I addressed it to "Mr. Eric S____ and Mrs. Julie G____-S____" Wasn't that tricky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @js8812 that is so goofy!!!!

@swflJD my bff has a phd, I'm fairly certain I addressed their invite as Dr and Mr Alyson and Aaron A.  ;)
  • swflJD said:
    My UO is that it rubs me the wrong way when I get mail addressed to Mr. and Mrs. [DH's first and last name]. First of all, my last name is a hyphenated combination of my maiden name and DH's last name. Second, it's like, "Hello! I have my own first name, too!" I don't go around calling myself Mrs. DH! I know it's traditionally appropriate to address formal correspondence that way, but it really irks me. I think it would still bother me just as much, even if I had taken DH's last name.
    You're the type of person I fear sending formal invitations to lol.  I HATE that there are so many different ways to address women on letters, and people are so picky about it.  I personally don't give a crap how I'm addressed on letters, and it annoys me when people make a big deal about it.  I've had a bad experience with this in the past in case you couldn't tell  :#.
  • swflJD said:
    I take more offense when someone gets my first name wrong. As a Lauren I've been called Laura, Laurie etc. Before the holidays we had DH's department over for drinks and one of them wrote us a lovely thank you note, except he called me Laura. Although at preschool I don't always remember the parents names so I'll call them "so and so's mom" which I guess might be equally annoying to someone. 
  • Bltbear82 said:
    swflJD said:
    I take more offense when someone gets my first name wrong. As a Lauren I've been called Laura, Laurie etc. Before the holidays we had DH's department over for drinks and one of them wrote us a lovely thank you note, except he called me Laura. Although at preschool I don't always remember the parents names so I'll call them "so and so's mom" which I guess might be equally annoying to someone. 
    Kinda the same... but I hate when people misspell my name. My name is Melissa. Easy spelling. My boss, who I have worked for 5 years now, has spelled it every way under the sun. Learn how to spell it already!! She once somehow spelled it with dollar signs. It was something like Melli$a. Not sure how she did that, but I felt like a rock star!

cat fail animated GIF

• @Bltbear82 Someone once called me Constantine - and I was like dude that's not even almost close. So I get what you mean. I just respond to anything that ends with an 'issa' now. My name is not common but it's really not that hard. 
  • @Bltbear82 Someone once called me Constantine - and I was like dude that's not even almost close. So I get what you mean. I just respond to anything that ends with an 'issa' now. My name is not common but it's really not that hard. 
    As someone with an unusual (read: completely made-up!) first name, I'm also used to anyone and everyone spelling and pronouncing it wrong.  I'll answer to anything close.  It took DH's aunt 5+ years to get my name right!  We used to get holiday cards, etc. from her with the completely wrong name!  That's why - even though we haven't decided on a name yet - our LO is getting a very plain name. I'm not going to make him go through life having to repeat his name a dozen times every time he meets someone!
    Mine's Kristine like Christine, but with a K, and everyone insists on just saying Kristen. That's the biggest reason I go by a nickname now. It's not like you would pronounce Mark differently if it was spelled Marc. Ugh...

My UO is that I absolutely despise morning radio shows. I don't think they are funny, I just want to hear music, not whatever the heck you are rambling on about for 15 minutes.
    @KDennis202 I know you are in the Boston area (not a stalker, I swear!) so I have to agree. I HATE Matty in the Morning on Kiss 108! I have been listening to Carson and Kennedy on 104.1 and while their "Dirty on the 30" is just mindless, I do like "Can't Beat Kennedy". But it is so hard to find a local station that plays good music without all the chit chat. I usually end up just listening to my son's Raffi or Jack Johnson CDs. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Jparke2 said:
    yogahh said:
    Controversy alert-  I don't buy into global warming. I think the Earth has had shifts like this for millions of years;its the way it regulates itself. So while we might be on a warm trend, I don't think it has anything to do with pollution or the like. But I DO think people should be more cognizant of respecting our environment in terms of recycling and keeping the Earth clean out of respect for the planet because it is the decent thing to do.
    I am FAR from considering myself extremely knowledgeable on this subject, but natural cycles/shifts in temperature are caused by a trigger (solar, greenhouse gases, etc.). Scientists of course have studied the possible and previous causes of temperature shifts to try to determine what is causing any recent changes, and I believe most "natural" occurrences don't fit the bill for a number of reasons. They conclude that it's a human thing because of HOW the planet has been effected. Again, I'm no scientist lol so I can't speak very intelligently on the subject. I'm just pointing out that scientists are aware of precious cycles in the planets history, have studied it from all angles, and still mostly believe it's because of human action.
    I hear ya... but there is also a lot of difference of opinions within the scientific community that is inconclusive. I haven't done a huge amount of research into it (because you know, life!) but from the "evidence" I have read throughout the years in various newspapers and articles, it doesn't seem like something that can be 100% proven..

Regardless, I am enjoying this balmy March day. Global warming or not ;)

cat fail animated GIF

• Everyone at work is obsessed with "Hello" by Adele and I hate that song. As far as I can tell, it's about how she broke someone's heart and years later is harassing someone who obviously doesn't want to talk to her in order to "apologize".

Sorry, but when someone breaks my heart they are dead to me and I don't want anything to do with them ever again. And calling someone 1000 times is stalking! The whole song just creeps me out. Leave the poor guy alone. 
    I think the lyrics are dumb, but I love belting this song out when I'm alone in the car!

Also, I have put DH in charge of making a "labor playlist" (he loves music), and I told him this song would be perfect for right when LO makes his appearance: "Hello from the other sideeeeeeeeeee" :smiley: 
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24