April 2016 Moms

Effacement rate and going into labor

So I know that one can be dilated the same cm for many weeks before going into labor but what about being effaced? I was told I'm 80% effaced (33 wks tomorrow) and hoping I can make it to at least 36. I'm just a little worried that it's thinning out so quickly. I've been dilated 1cm for a bit over a week so I feel good in that department. If I become 100% does that mean baby is coming soon or can I remain like that for a while? TIA!

Re: Effacement rate and going into labor

• Yep I was 50% effaced from 36 weeks on, still had to be induced past my due date. There really isn't anything that can "predict" labor based on the standards of things.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • cmjenkies said:
    I was 100% effaced and 3-4cm for a couple of weeks with DS and was still induced.. so, hard to say, but in my experience it didn't mean much.
    This.  I was 100% effaced with 2 cm dilated from 35 weeks and the Dr's were surprised to see me at every visit including my appt at 41 weeks.  I also had to be induced.
  • Thanks for sharing ladies! 
  • I wished my doctor would check.  They don't at this hospital. They did with my first who is  now 12 but with LO 2, 3 and now 4 they don't and won't.   So I have not a thing to go off of. Although it shouldn't like even with knowing it doesn't necessarily mean labor is close
  • dayj11 said:
    I wished my doctor would check.  They don't at this hospital. They did with my first who is  now 12 but with LO 2, 3 and now 4 they don't and won't.   So I have not a thing to go off of. Although it shouldn't like even with knowing it doesn't necessarily mean labor is close
    Yeah the midwives here refuse to check before much later on because they feel like it's useless at this point. 

mojomama6
  • With my first, I was 2cm and 80-90% effaced when they checked me on a Tuesday. I lost my plug Wednesday night and had DS on Thursday! It's true that both could mean nothing but in general, effacement is more telling than dilation. 

Me: 23 Hubby: 26
    Married: April 2011
    Son: May 2014
    Baby #2 Due: April 4th, 2016
  • Effacement for me doesn't happen until the later stage of labor.  I could be 7cm with no effacement.  I could also be at 4cm for weeks before I actually go into labor.