January 2016 Moms

6-8wk vaccinations

Anyone have stories to share?  We did ours today. Baby was SO upset it was hard to watch and so cranky the rest of the day.  Hoping she is back to her smiley self in the AM.  Glad to have this behind me. 

Re: 6-8wk vaccinations

• Just did our 2 month shots yesterday. He had to get 4 due to production issues so they split up the big one into 3. I wanted to not do it but DH was there and persuaded me. I jut gave him Tylenol when we got home and last night and it wasn't too bad. He is back to himself today. 
  • I'm worried about going Alone, hubby can't make it . they are next week ! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I dread shots. With DS1 he was always a sleepy baby the day of them and then super cranky and irritable that night and the next day. I also cannot watch then actually give the shot to them. I always held DS's little hand and looked in his eyes till they were finished and I could pick him up and snuggle him to calm him down. I am pro vaccines but just hate the temporary pain of the shot. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Would it be okay to give LO some baby tylenol a little while beforehand? His ped. is out of town right now so we wait until the 14th, I am so thankful that DH is coming with!
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited March 2016
    My ped told me to give LO infant Tylenol 2 hours before our shots next week. 

Edit since autocorrect is incorrect
  • Mine went pretty well. I snuggled him on my lap as he was getting the shots. He enjoyed the Oral vaccine because the taste was sweet. The 3 needles he cried hard for a second and then calmed down pretty quickly. The last two were done fast in the same leg. I nursed him right away and it's almost like he forgot. Baby was super sleepy for two days but that was his only side effect. I wouldn't even say he got cranky. I live in Canada not sure if the vaccinations are exactly the same. The Oral one was rotavirus (stomach bug) and I think the other shots were meningitis C, pertussis, tetanus diphtheria. But I could be mistaken. I have some pamphlets about them all but it's 4:53 am where I am so I am not reading it at the moment.
    good luck to everyone still to come. Lots of snuggles and milk helped my guy. But it's still a little sad to watch.
  • 2winterbabies2winterbabies member
    edited March 2016
    Hi. New here :) I had Olivia's 2 month shots on the 2nd. She slept the entire time the same day she got her shots, but the next day she woke with a fever and there was no soothing her :( I had to eventually let her "cry it out" no matter what I did, nothing worked for HOURS. Finally she fell asleep and her fever was gone. Today she wanted to fuss again. I placed her on the swing and she has been sleeping peacefully for about an hour.
    DD#1 born 12/30/2015
    DS#1 born 02/19/2013

•  :s Hannah has hers on Monday. I am dreading it! Is the baby Tylenol liquid form? 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • We haven't had shots, but our girl had to have a frenectomy. (Where they snip that little thing under the tongue.) I had to leave the room, and my husband had to handle it. I cried more than she did.
    Just remember that some of the infectious diseases are far worse and more painful than a little prick. (Easier said than done, I know.)
  • I would reccomend that you not give Tylenol ahead of time. My sister is a pediatrician and she and our pediatrician said studies have shown Tylenol given before has been shown to reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. 

I brought bottles for our babies and fed them immediately after so they stopped crying and were content. They slept the entire day afterwards but were back to normal the next day. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Nolan's shots are wednesday. My ped's office actually prefers no Tylenol before or after, as long as the fever is low grade (below 102.5 is what the ped told me). I plan on nursing during the shots with the hope that LO won't even notice. And we plan on as much skin to skin and comfort nursing as he wants after for a day or so.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • My son had his on the 2nd and isn't quite himself yet. He was super sleepy and crabby for the past 2 days. He also slept fitfully Wednesday night. It's also a wonder week so im sure that isn't helping. 
    Vincent 1.1.16 & Daniel 11.6.07
    In Memory of Barbara <3 , beloved mother and grandmother
  • Make the appointment in the afternoon. There was a fairly recent study that showed babies slept well the night of shots when the appointment was in the afternoon but not the morning. They tend to be very sleepy for several hours after. 
  • My son had his shots on the 2nd. He slept way more than usual the rest of the day, slept fine at night, then the day after he was fussy all day and didn't want to nap. Yesterday during the day he was acting fine, just more sleepy than normal. Last night he got a low grade fever and was super fussy, so I gave him some Tylenol before bedtime and he slept a 9 hour stretch!!! Not sure if the fever was due to the shots, or if he's catching the sickness the rest of the family has... Hope not! Does anyone know how long after the shots you can expect a fever? I found conflicting information of within 24 hours and then within 3-6 days after....
  • @MamaGooGoo my LO had her shots on the 1st and spiked a fever last night. According to our pediatrician, they would have expected a reaction to the shots within 12-24 hours and are not treating this as a reaction. They tested for flu, examined her ears and throat. They think she has a cold, if the fever doesn't clear up in 48 hours we'll go back for more in depth tests. Hope your babe gets better, would def call the ped just in case! 
  • I cried, DS cried, he was sleepy for the rest of the day and into the next day.  While he let out a huge shriek with the first shot, he didn't do that bad with the remaining 2. He only cried for a few minutes. I started crying because after the first shot he turned about 60 shades of red and had the mouth opened and the look of fear in him for 2-3 seconds before letting out the cry.  :( His 4 month shots I believe there are 2 additional ones given to him at that time.  He will have 6 total that day. I am not looking forward to that appointment.
  • We had ours two weeks ago and they were absolutely awful. Tylenol saved our butts and it was still a 48 hour ordeal. 
  • Just just got home from our two month shots. I nursed her through the shots. The first one she just flinched, but the second one, her eyes went wide and then she screamed. She only cried for a few seconds and then went back on my boob. She is sitting peacefully in her Mammaroo now. We will see how she does over the next few hours /days. 
    STM - EDD June 24 '18
    DD - January 2016
  • My daughter just had her shots she got one oral which I believe was rotovirius. Then two shots in one leg and one in the other. My husband had to hold her arms for the doctors just a precaution so be ready to do that. She cried fairly hard as soon as they were done we could pick her up and soothe her we fed right away which helped to calm her. She fell asleep as soon as we started driving away from pediatrician. Put her down in crib when we got home she slept few hours but when she woke she was very cranky crying hard didn't want to be put down but it passed quickly. She was fine after that no fever no crankiness did seem a little more tired than usual. So be prepared for a tired baby or cranky. Good luck momma sad to see them go through pain but it really is over quickly.
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    About to leave for his shots now, he's being extra cute today I feel bad haha 
  • We had ours this morning - ug, awful seeing her turn so red and cry so hard!  :'(:'(:'(
    the good news is my MiL said DH slept thru his 4month shots, so maybe next time won't be so bad! 
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • I would reccomend that you not give Tylenol ahead of time. My sister is a pediatrician and she and our pediatrician said studies have shown Tylenol given before has been shown to reduce the effectiveness of the vaccines. 

I brought bottles for our babies and fed them immediately after so they stopped crying and were content. They slept the entire day afterwards but were back to normal the next day. 
    This! I'm a pediatric nurse and we have to remind parents of this. No Tylenol.
  • Anyone have a reaction like this? 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    kkfl2m+b said:
    Anyone have a reaction like this? 

My ped said a little bit of redness at injection site is normal but to me that looks like more than a little bit
  • ambercakes92ambercakes92 member
    edited March 2016
    My LO got her shots today. She cried hard for a minute or two, but didn't need any nursing which was a nice surprise. I got teary seeing her in pain :( she has been clingy and sleepy this afternoon, but I guess we will see what tonight has in store...I don't have any baby Tylenol on hand, so hopefully it isn't necessary. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @ambercakes92 my son had his yesterday afternoon, he was also tired and clingy but then slept all night! Hopefully your night goes just as well! I haven't needed the infant Tylenol so unless she spikes a temp you should be fine :) 
  • mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited March 2016
    kaym6 said:
    kkfl2m+b said:
    Anyone have a reaction like this? 

My ped said a little bit of redness at injection site is normal but to me that looks like more than a little bit
    Right that's what I was thinking. I was expecting red and lumpy but it was just so weird to be so far from the needle injection place. I called and they had me bring her in, they were all puzzled about the distance from the needle mark as well, especially with how red, warm, and swollen it is and that it's only on one side not both. They drew a line around it to monitor and told me to do some cold compresses, chance it could be a cellulitis reaction that would need antibiotics. We'll see! 
  • @kkfl2m+b --did they put a bandaid on it? That's what my sons look like from an adhesive reaction
  • Did my LOs vaccinations yesterday and he was really good afterwards. He nursed and fell asleep. I got him home and we did the usual routine of wake up, eat, fall back asleep for our long afternoon nap. He woke up screaming bloody murder around 5. I felt so bad!!! He screamed almost non stop for about 2 hours and was super fussy for another 2 hours after that. Thank goodness DH was just getting off work and picked some Tylenol up for us. If you don't have it on hand I highly recommend getting it to have on hand for this! It's now 2:30AM and LO slept 6.5 hours straight and seems to be back to his normal self. Tomorrow will be a snuggly day in this house!
  • Got ours today.. She cried, I nursed her, then she slept for about 4 hours. When she woke up she kept screaming out and could barely eat. I have her infant Tylenol and now she's sleeping. She won't let me set her down though. Also our ped said NOT to give Tylenol beforehand. 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    Warm red and swollen does sound like cellulitis but I didn't even think about the possibility of a reaction to the band aid! Has it spread at all since they marked it? 
  • To the moms that have given the Tylenol after, how much are you giving them? 
  • The amount of Tylenol is based on baby weight and the Tylenol you use. The ped will give you a chart. 

My son had his shots this morning. He screamed for about 15 seconds then was done. Fed him and went on our way. He was a little cranky later on in the day but just became clingy. He just woke up from sleeping 7.5 hours overnight. About to put him down for another sleep session since he just nursed and fell back asleep. We also gave him a bath this evening. He lives bath time so I think that may have helped. 
  • DS had his this morning. He screamed. And I felt terrible. Luckily for me, DH took the day off work and went with us. LO is currently sleeping next to DH on the couch and has been for about 2.5 hours. Unfortunately, he hasn't gained enough weight so we have to start supplementing. I was able to run out and pick up formula, go grocery shopping, and pick up lunch while LO slept peacefully at home.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • She definitely has sensitive skin and the band aid marks are still there a little bit, but the good news is the big red mark has gone down since yesterday  :#:#:#
  • Had ours yesterday afternoon. He napped for a while afterwards and was a little more fussy last night. He did sleep 6 hours overnight (first time ever!!!) -unsure if that's a shot fluke. 
    He seems ok today. Smiley. Still sleepier than normal. 
    N (2004)A (2007), N (2010), and L (due 1/2016)