September 2015 Moms
Options

Zip a Dee Zip/Sleep sack/Help?!

We have been using Merlin's Magic sleepsuit for about 3 months with our son, it was amazing how much it helped him.  Well, last night he started rolling onto his belly in it, ALL night long.  We watched him like a hawk on the monitor, and would flip him right back...but moments later right back onto his stomach.  So clearly we had to stop using the suit cold turkey.  Merlin's sleepsuit was constricting and muffled movement, so he's going from that to complete free movement...NOT good. He gets lots of floor playtime during the day where he can be on his belly, but it's like he's obsessing with the rolling at night.

Today we have been trying a sleepsack and it has been an absolute NIGHTMARE.  He is rolling all around the crib, scooting, crying when he gets on his stomach, etc.  We really have no idea what to do as a next step.  We go in and shush, pat him, try rocking, etc, and nothing is working!

What do you put your baby to sleep in? We are looking for ANYTHING that might be helpful.  So far just a sleepsack seems to be failing.  Anyone try a Zip a Dee Zip?   

Thank you SO much ladies, we will take any advice.  It was a VERY long night and day...we are so scared for tonight.

Re: Zip a Dee Zip/Sleep sack/Help?!

• Options
    I never used a merlin, but went straight from swaddle sack to regular sleep sack. I didn't notice anything when we transitioned, as I did it before she started rolling all the time. I did notice that when she started rolling, she was obsessed with it and led to a few horrible nights. But then she figured out how to get comfortable and stopped practicing rolling so much at night. It was 3 nights before I saw a difference, and it didn't have anything to do with her attire, just her excitement over a new skill. 

I'm not sure if this helps, but hopefully he will get the hang of it quickly so you can get some sleep! 
  • Options
    I feel like it might be a phase because our LO had a few nights like this as well. He never used the Merlin sleep suit or anything but there are nights where all he does is roll around and move all over his crib. It's like he can't control himself; I think it's a developmental thing. It will take a few days and then calm down 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cmlsu , @xJKxOR
    Thanks so much for responding.  I am happy to hear that it only lasted a few days for you guys, we are really hoping that is the same situation here.  We really have no idea what to do.  We have sleep sacks with long sleeves, and a sleeveless one that has a tighter fitting abdomen, but neither seem to be helping at all.  I REALLY wish we would have stopped using the Merlin suit earlier on, with attempting some naps here and there without it.

He is an absolute mess.  He's rolling all around the crib, rolls onto his stomach and starts crying super hard, we roll him back and he does it all over again.  It's like he's not comfortable on his back or stomach and is freaking out on both.  He just cries and cries. 

I'm sure going cold turkey is a shocker, but we just don't know what else to do!  Since he's rolling we don't have too many options of things to put him in.  I'm scared to use any sort of wedge or bumper that might help prevent the rolling.

We are hoping he gets over it in a few days and realizes he can roll either way and sleep however...just don't know how we are going to survive those days.  This is by far WAY worse than our 4 month sleep regression.

We played with him all night on the floor rolling back and forth, trying to get it out of his system!  It's funny because he started rolling weeks ago, and then stopped for awhile, would do it here and there, but now it's like an obsession again, he can't stop!
  • Options
    barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited March 2016
    Late to the thread, but I'm obsessed with our zipadeezip!

We don't use it anymore because I couldn't remember to stick it in the wash each day, but it's great. It has a lot of room but still provides that swaddle-like security. It doesn't work for babies who need their hands, though - to take a pacifier or soothe with their fingers in their mouth. 
  • Options
    I ordered one today! (Fingers crossed) LO is still not rolling... Probably bc
    we are still swaddling her but I don't know what else to do! We are going to r in the same boat eventually, having to go cold turkey. She literally can't fall asleep unless she is swaddled.. I'm sure we have a few rough nights headed our way. Ha, something kind of funny is that for like $62 they will one day ship you the zipadeezip ... Of course I didn't do this but I was thinking, what a smart business move preying on sleep deprived, desperate parents that need an immediate fix... I bet they make a nice profit off that :)
  • Options
    @kenzjim, haha!  That's how we ordered our Merlin Magic Sleepsuit, it was like 3 a.m. and we were at our wits end trying to get him to sleep.  My husband was frantically searching the internet and found it on Amazon and ordered!