April 2016 Moms

Rant/I need a hug

So I'm pretty stressed the hell out from tonight... About a month ago my fiancé's truck was repossessed and we've had to share a car this whole time. It hasn't been as big of a deal, and we've been making it work. However, tonight we got pulled over leaving his job for a minor traffic infraction. (Which isn't even an actual law in FL mind you... I looked it up when we got home.) While we are sitting there waiting for the cop to bring back his license the baby starts freaking out and doing violent aerobics so I had fiancé rub my stomach until he calmed down. Cop comes back asks my fiancé to step out of the car, and arrests him on the spot.

According to the court system his license was revoked in December due to not paying tickets from the year prior, which he DID pay all of it off in November. My mom took him and made sure he paid the entire balance, and not just set up a payment plan. It was part of her Christmas present to us to pay the entire bill. So I got to see my fiancé get arrested this evening... I went into the gas station where we pulled over and bought a cooler to put all the meat and dairy I bought right before picking him up (I just went grocery shopping for the next two weeks -.-) and some ice, then followed the cop car to the jail. My phone dies on the way to the jail, and I don't have a car charger, so I'm stuck using my fiancé's phone, and he has no idea...

Next I get to spend the following three hours calling a number to see if he's been processed yet, setting shit up with a bail bondsman, calling his parents and having them drive over to take care of that. (funny thing about not being married, AND currently being unemployed... They don't just give those to anyone apparently) So he got arrested a little after 7. I went and got food while I was waiting, and the second the food comes out I get a call from the jail, it's him obviously, he has me set things up with a different bondsman, and starts crying on the phone because he thought all this was taken care of, and they made him wear bright orange crocks, and he hates crocks. I haven't even let myself become emotional about any of this yet, and I just got off the phone as quickly as possible to take care of it. (After I ate, because I was shaking from low blood sugar at that point...) 

After calling the different bondsman, he insisted that because it was a felony, and not a misdemeanor, we would have to have a property owner cosign for it. I literally don't know a single person who owns a house. No one. At all. I called his mom, again, this time bawling my eyes out, and explained everything going down. They called the guy, and because they've been at their jobs for so long he made an exception. So they come over, and after driving around the courthouse for like twenty minutes trying to find parking they finally get all that taken care of. Fiancé gets released, we come home, and I'm so exhausted at this point I cried myself to sleep.

Now I'm wide awake, freaking out, because we live 45 minutes away from the hospital. His court date is 5 days before my due date, and he won't be able to drive this entire next month. (Due 3/26, court date 3/21) I can't drive myself to the hospital, his parents live almost an hour away from our house, my parents live fifteen minutes past the hospital from us, and I'm assuming that I'M NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE WHEN I GO INTO LABOR! I am so stressed out now, and can't go back to sleep. :'(

Re: Rant/I need a hug

• Awwww man, that is a horrible situation to be in :( *hugs* 
    DH and I will be taking a cab to the hospital as we don't have a car or any of our parents near us, or perhaps you can ask a friend if they'd like to help you out? 

• Loading the player...
  • ((Hugs)) 
    I'm so sorry! That sounds terribly stressful! 
  • I'm sorry you're experiencing stress and frustration. Like @JadaBlue said, now is the time to rely on friends to help you out with transportation. Or perhaps you could stay with your parents around the time you are due? Try not to worry too much, easier said than done *virtual hugs*
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry...that's a really shitty night. I would suggest maybe staying with your parents as you get closer to DD but with your relationship, I don't know if that would actually be a great idea. Do you have a sibling old enough to drive who might be willing to stay with you for a while? Or friends in the area who are reliable? I'm sure it's not much reassurance, but try to remember that FTMs usually labor for a long time, more than enough time for someone to drive to your house and be on standby. It's wise to plan ahead but don't stress yourself out about this - just start calling around now, get some advice from your mom and MIL, and let people help. People love to help but don't always know how. Good luck!
  • That sounds awfully stressful, sorry you're having to deal with all of this. Like PP have mentioned, ask friends or take a cab. You'll get to the hospital either way. Sorry again.
  • It may be worth it to see if you guys could stay with your parents for a little bit, just in case you need a ride and don't feel comfortable with a cab. Another option would be to let a friend stay with you guys around your due date that would be willing to get up and go at any given time to drive you to the hospital. Luckily, labor isn't usually fast enough that you'll deliver on the way to the hospital, so please try and not stress about that. The average for a FTM is about eight hours of labor. 

I'm hoping everything gets cleared up quickly and the judge pretty much just does a WTF am I here for face. I would find any and all paperwork that you have for the payments that were made in November and bring those with you to court. If his license was revoked, they would have sent some form of documentation. The lack of it sounds like a complete failure on their part, so hopefully the judge takes that into consideration as well. Mind you, I'm not a lawyer and I have no legal background, so my suggestions may not get you much of anywhere. The system sucks. It's stupid and broken, in my opinion. 

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Man what a night! That's aweful, especially when it sounds to be an issue within the establishment. Do you have proof of paying the tickets? I would think they can't proceed with legal action if you can prove they were paid on time which prompted this whole catastrophe to begin with. If not, just take a couple of days to figure out a good plan for your delivery you feel comfortable with. Good news is you will likely have hours of labor at home before you need to actually be in the hospital (coming from someone who got sent home after laboring all day bc I wasn't dilated enough to be admitted). So hopefully the distance and timing won't be an issue! It will all work itself out!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Ugh that's awful!!!!
    hopefully you go into labor after! 
  • Oh wow what a terrible turn of events...I would definitely look into staying with your parents who are closer to the hospital. If it eases your mind about labor and having someone drive you. And also if you needed too, a taxi would be cheaper from there. Oy....I hope you got some rest!!!
  • I agree with @fbanke42 try to find all documents that relate to the payment no matter how insignificant you think it is. Also see if you can find any documentation of who the person was that processed they payment.  It sounds like nothing happened with it and that is huge mistake for someone to make.

I wouldn't stay with your family, but see n if there is a friend/neighbor who would help you out or be willing to be on standby around you DD just incase.
  • I'm so so sorry, sounds like an absolutely terrible night. Lots of hugs!

I agree with PP about getting your paperwork together showing proof of payment - not just the receipts you received when your mom paid, but also any bank or credit card statements showing the charge/check went through.  Is there any way to call the court and request an earlier court date? I think your DD is good grounds to request faster processing, especially if you have slam-dunk paperwork showing fiancé is in the right. 

As others have said, try not to stress about delivery but have a backup. Cab, uber, friend on-call are all great suggestions. 
  • Lots of hugs to you. I agree with @emgee27. Maybe get all the proof beforehand and have it submitted before the date and explain to them it's too close to you having a baby maybe they can take care of it sooner. 

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Hugs girl! My advice is the same as the other ladies. That and don't forget to breathe, maybe take a bath, and make sure you relax. Otherwise, you'll stress yourself into early labor or a hospital visit. 

imageimage
  • Oh man this is awful! *hugs* I second what everybody else is saying. Don't stress to much about getting to the hospital quickly. I'm sure you'll have plenty of time for someone to come pick you up and take you. Grab all the paperwork pertaining to this and have it ready ahead of time. I would also call the court house and see about moving the court date up because of your due date. It never hurts to ask!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MamaRoniMamaRoni member
    edited February 2016
    So sorry mama!

I would definitely dons one legwork and find all the proper documentation and petition the court system. I k ow it's hard to hear but sounds like you need to handle as much of this as possible.... maybe DF isn't quite able to do the follow thru. ...

I would definitely play it by ear as far as staying with parents around the due date IF you can't get this sorted out. 

Most of all... just know this sucks all the way around but at the end of the day... it just has to get handled. Then we can focus on little baby full of life and happiness 
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone. It looks like we have a lot to take care of over the next few days... Staying with my parents would be a nightmare! But having one of the MANY people who live there staying with us as we get closer could be feasible. 

@linzoirv I might message you if I have any specific questions... I'm just so aggravated that we had all this taken care of months ago and now it's randomly not -.- So Frustrating!
  • I know of a similar incident a few years ago, car was impounded and court proceedings started for driving without insurance.....except they were insured and the insurance company had messed up paperwork their end. Hired a lawyer and it eventually got resolved.

Can you hire someone to sort out the paperwork and to-ing and fro-ing with the police and whoever needs to be involved? You say you have all the paperwork - the only thing is I'm not sure who'd have to pay the legal fees afterwards WHEN you win. In the case above, as the insurance company were at fault they footed the whole bill.

definitely play the pregnancy card with the courts/police and get the parents to help out as much as possible - is getting a doctor's note around your health/pregnancy helpful with anything? I don't know how the US legal system works, but any cards you can play, use them. You've said you're not at fault here, and this is a time when you should be winding down...not getting ready for battle.

Hang in there - hugs x

• So scary/frustrating! Sorry you are going through this - fingers crossed baby doesn't come early!
  • Sorry this happened. :( really hoping you can solve this quickly and turn the page!
  • I am sorry this is happening to you. And glad your brother will be able to stay with you.

But what type of tickets are these, that they are considered a felony? It doesn't seem logical that police would arrest him, for a felony, for a partially paid late ticket. It seems like there is more to this story/ his driving record. If it is a felony, then I would agree that he needs a lawyer.

However, I completely agree that his license should be suspended. He has had five (six?) tickets already. Sounds like he needs time to reflect on some poor choices and take some defensive driving classes.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• I am sorry this is happening to you. And glad your brother will be able to stay with you.

But what type of tickets are these, that they are considered a felony? It doesn't seem logical that police would arrest him, for a felony, for a partially paid late ticket. It seems like there is more to this story/ his driving record. If it is a felony, then I would agree that he needs a lawyer.

However, I completely agree that his license should be suspended. He has had five (six?) tickets already. Sounds like he needs time to reflect on some poor choices and take some defensive driving classes.

Five over the course of several years, yes. While I would normally agree that he should be put in time out for being an idiot, he would lose his job if he didn't have a license. (Funny thing about being a car salesman...) And I wouldn't be able to find a job at 8 months pregnant, or find a job that would actually pay just the rent let alone power, and everything else.

From everything I can tell from his public record it's looking like a clerical error. The only tickets he's had were minor driving infractions, which he religiously doesn't pay on time. He ignored them for so long his license was suspended back in August or September, and my mom went with him to pay it all off and get his license reinstated. All of the tickets he hadn't paid within that county are at $0 balance according to the public record's website. The other county (where we actually live) has zero balances on all but one ticket, which was driving without a seatbelt, and he paid a portion of it, but still owes $23 for it, from back in 2011. I'm not sure how he was able to get his license reinstated if he still had an outstanding balance at all, which is why I'm leaning towards the clerical error on this whole situation.

Five over the course of several years, yes. While I would normally agree that he should be put in time out for being an idiot, he would lose his job if he didn't have a license. (Funny thing about being a car salesman...) And I wouldn't be able to find a job at 8 months pregnant, or find a job that would actually pay just the rent let alone power, and everything else.

From everything I can tell from his public record it's looking like a clerical error. The only tickets he's had were minor driving infractions, which he religiously doesn't pay on time. He ignored them for so long his license was suspended back in August or September, and my mom went with him to pay it all off and get his license reinstated. All of the tickets he hadn't paid within that county are at $0 balance according to the public record's website. The other county (where we actually live) has zero balances on all but one ticket, which was driving without a seatbelt, and he paid a portion of it, but still owes $23 for it, from back in 2011. I'm not sure how he was able to get his license reinstated if he still had an outstanding balance at all, which is why I'm leaning towards the clerical error on this whole situation.

To the bolded: actions have consequences. 5 or 6 tickets from 2011- present is ALOT, no matter how 'minor' they might be.

I hope it is just a clerical error but if I were you I would be livid with my H for getting yet another ticket. You have mentioned your financial issues in several threads. Now your fi has to pay for another ticket, possibly a lawyer and for the likely increase in his insurance premiums.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• NOLA520 said:
    I don't understand why you and/or his mom have to be the ones to fix this every time. What kind of accountability has HE taken for his multiple fuck-ups that leave you staring down the barrel of both being unemployed?? Why can't he do this himself? The last thing you need is more stress and shit to do. 
    I'm not sure how he is supposed to have driven himself to the courthouse that day when his license was suspended? Or bailed himself out the other night? Should I just punish him for this when he is already feeling like shit and leave him with no way of getting back and forth to work or to get any of this fixed?

Contrary to what you and PP believe my fiancé is not a piece of crap, and as I've mentioned SEVERAL times now, he thought this was all taken care of so he could go about being a responsible person/driver. If this was something to be mad at him for I would be.

He paid all of the fines for all of the tickets he hadn't paid months ago, he pulls out of the dealership, where there is no stop sign, and a cop pulls him over because he didn't fully stop before entering traffic. Out of the blue he is getting arrested for driving on a suspended license that he had reinstated months ago and no new tickets in the mean time. Was I supposed to just leave him in jail? Or am I supposed to make him figure out a different way to work?

I'm mad at him for not doing the dishes. Im not mad at him for this happening, because as I said, this is looking like of a clerical error than him actually doing something wrong. I didn't open this thread to be chastised for this happening, or to have my fiancé attacked for something out of his control. When I screw things up, he helps me take care of it. When he screws things up, I help him take care of it. I thought that's how relationships/marriage worked?
  • NOLA520 said:
    I don't understand why you and/or his mom have to be the ones to fix this every time. What kind of accountability has HE taken for his multiple fuck-ups that leave you staring down the barrel of both being unemployed?? Why can't he do this himself? The last thing you need is more stress and shit to do. 
    I'm not sure how he is supposed to have driven himself to the courthouse that day when his license was suspended? Or bailed himself out the other night? Should I just punish him for this when he is already feeling like shit and leave him with no way of getting back and forth to work or to get any of this fixed?

Contrary to what you and PP believe my fiancé is not a piece of crap, and as I've mentioned SEVERAL times now, he thought this was all taken care of so he could go about being a responsible person/driver. If this was something to be mad at him for I would be.

He paid all of the fines for all of the tickets he hadn't paid months ago, he pulls out of the dealership, where there is no stop sign, and a cop pulls him over because he didn't fully stop before entering traffic. Out of the blue he is getting arrested for driving on a suspended license that he had reinstated months ago and no new tickets in the mean time. Was I supposed to just leave him in jail? Or am I supposed to make him figure out a different way to work?

I'm mad at him for not doing the dishes. Im not mad at him for this happening, because as I said, this is looking like of a clerical error than him actually doing something wrong. I didn't open this thread to be chastised for this happening, or to have my fiancé attacked for something out of his control. When I screw things up, he helps me take care of it. When he screws things up, I help him take care of it. I thought that's how relationships/marriage worked?
    I think the question is more about you gathering paperwork and getting things organized. Personally, if DH was in the same situation, I would want to have control over everything because I would want to make sure something like this couldn't happen again--not on his end, but from the the legal end. I would be frustrated with the situation, but not made at him for it happening, since it does sound like someone didn't do their job and file things into the system when they should have. Things happen, but I don't think your fiancé deserves to be punished for something that should have already been fixed. 

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• NOLA520 said:
    Listen, you're putting words in my mouth and flying off the handle about something I didn't even say. I didn't even imply that you should've left him in jail or that you should punish him for a clerical error. I'm questioning why HE isn't the one looking all this shit up and finding out what needs to be done to fix it. The way you've talked about this, you're the one doing all the legwork to research and find out what needs to be done (including posting details about your fiance's legal troubles on a public internet forum, which is probably not the best idea, btw) while you're very pregnant and very stressed about everything else going on in your life. He's an adult, is he not? Why isn't he doing this stuff? 

Relationships are about helping each other, sure. But the way you post is that you're helping him all the time, and he's begrudgingly helping you every once in a while, but mostly creating more problems for you to fix. I don't think having him do his own research is "punishing" him. 

Ok. I'm sorry. That was not how I read your comment, and I'm really glad that wasn't your intent. I'm doing the legwork on the paperwork because he is at work today and I'm at home. He didn't ask me to do it, I'm just trying to take care of as much of it as possible for my sanity. Which basically amounted to me looking it up online, and not being able to do anything until his next day off anyway.

I can see where my past posts make our life look that way. It's not easy to paint the full picture in posts online, and not just the emotional, one sided version that I tend to show. 
  •  :o this post makes me realise how lucky I am to live in England. What you've just went through is craziness and just couldn't/wouldn't happen here. Hope everything sorts it's self out in the end
  • AGK2015 said:
    NOLA520 said:

I don't think anybody believes your fiance is a piece of crap, but there are a few red flags here regarding the level of responsibility he's been taking for his own screwups. It sounds like the system screwed up in this case. But your fiance also screwed up, first by earning those tickets, then by not paying them in a timely manner (resulting in the revocation of his license), and by getting himself into a situation where his car was repossessed, and by not paying in full the ticket you mentioned from 2011 (which, regardless of whether you were with him at the time, he should have been on top of himself, because he is an adult). You are doing an incredible job helping your fiance fix his mistakes, and your patience with him is really good, and really important.  That said, the people on this board really care about you, and it's frustrating to watch you get stuck with this much stress over and over again when your fiance's bad choices come back to haunt him. We want to see you taken care of, girlfriend.  Granted, you're the only person on this board who has intimate knowledge of what life with him is like, and maybe we're all reading this wrong, but it does seem like you're being subjected to a whole load of bullshit that you don't deserve, and it sounds like you're the one who's taking on the whole load of consequences.

Helping each other out of a bad situation is absolutely an important part of marriage/relationships.  When my husband had his license temporarily suspended for failing to mail in proof of insurance with the payment for his speeding ticket, I chauffered him around. When he forgot to pay a bill to his dermatologist, I'm the one who finally opened and envelope, figured out what was owed, sent in a check and paid the late fee. Currently, I'm having some work issues, and he's spending his time and energy figuring out what he'll need to do to keep us afloat if I lose my job. Neither of us gets mad at the other for it, even though these things are direct results of real fuckups, and I don't think you have to get mad at your fiance for what happened this weekend.

That said, another important part of marriage/relationships is working towards protecting one another. Once something like this happens, the party that screwed up has a responsibility to work towards making a real change, because helping each other fix mistakes doesn't give us carte blanche when we do something that has a negative impact on the other person. My husband and I had a long talk about speeding, and he slowed down. We had a conversation about opening bills and paying them in a timely manner, and he's made a better effort to go through the mail (and to keep me appraised of bills that are coming in and payments going out). I've made a conscious effort to do better at work, because if I lose my job, the consequences for Joe are intense and he doesn't deserve that. I'm really hopeful that your fiance is making the same kind of effort to clean up his act and prevent the same sort of mistakes in future; if he's not, I'd encourage you to talk to him once the raw emotions of the past weekend have settled down a little and have a heart-to-heart about what can be done differently in future so that you don't have to fall asleep crying over this kind of thing or fret about the logistics of getting necessary medical care. He loves you, so he should be willing to see how this impacts you and make the changes he needs to make to protect you from now on. 
    You said this better than I was planning to. OP, you also need to realize that none of us here actually know you OR your fiance. And basically all we can go off of us what you present here. Which, frankly, isn't always the greatest. 

My H is an adult and I don't ever feel like I have to take care of him. Or monitor the things he does. It isn't normal. Support is part of a relationship, but not mopping up after someone when they repeatedly let you down. In the months I have been reading your posts, you almost never say anything good about him. You just complain that he screwed up or let you down AGAIN. Our loved ones make mistakes, but it shouldn't be a constant. 

Part of being an adult is knowing when and how to pay your bills, doing household chores and generally taking care of yourself and those around you. What happens when the baby gets here and these types of behaviors just keep continuing?