September 2016 Moms

When did you first start to feel baby move?

AlyeenaAlyeena member
edited February 2016 in September 2016 Moms
I know this is still far away for most of us, but I am too curious. Of course I cannot wait to first feel my baby move but since this is to be my first I heard it is usually later in the pregnancy that you feel it. So I added an option for the first child and another for the second or more, I know that excludes multiples, but I could not find a better way to word it. So there is an "Other" option too if you want to give more details.
35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
Miscarriage at 8 weeks
FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
First saw  at 6w4d
It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

When did you first start to feel baby move? 85 votes

First child - 16 to 18 weeks
50% 43 votes
First child - 19 to 20 weeks
14% 12 votes
First child - 21 to 23 weeks
14% 12 votes
First child - 24 to 25 weeks
1% 1 vote
Second or more child- 16 to 18 weeks
4% 4 votes
Second or more child - 19 to 20 weeks
3% 3 votes
Second or more child- 21 to 23 weeks
0% 0 votes
Second or more child- 24 to 25 weeks
0% 0 votes
Other
11% 10 votes

Re: When did you first start to feel baby move?

• Felt my first at 18 weeks. Hoping it's true that you feel them sooner in subsequent pregnancies.

• With my first, I didn't feel him move until 22 or 23 weeks. I had an anterior placenta, so it took longer. It was a bit frustrating when one doctor had said "you should be feeling movement by now". Once I did start to feel movement, there was always a dead-zone of no movement right where the placenta was.

• Loading the player...
  • My first I actually felt around 14 or 15 weeks which was crazy! This time they said it looks like I have an anterior placenta so I will probably feel the baby later this time.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm hoping I have a posterior placenta. My first, I had an anterior placenta and it was frustrating. I rarely felt my little one move.

pregnancy
  • My first I felt around 17 weeks. My second I felt around 19, probably because I had an anterior placenta. I do this time around too so I'll be curious to see if I don't feel this baby until a little bit later as well.
  • I'm also hoping I have a posterior placenta this time. I felt and saw DD, but it seemed to take forever for it to switch from light, bubble-like movement to real kicks. And DH hardly ever felt her move.

• I think felt this one (#2) move yesterday at 12 1/2 weeks, where DS was right at 16 weeks. DH could feel him then, too. 
  • Felt my first at 13 weeks and my second at 16. Haven't felt this one yet.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I was ~16 weeks when I had funny feelings on the inside. I was 17/18 weeks when I knew it was movement. I was 19 weeks when I felt LO on the outside with my hand. Also, I didn't feel consistent movement until a few weeks later. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • What does it feel like?
    I get this weird floppy feeling in front right above my pelvic bone. Very strange feeling always in the same spot. wasn't sure if it was gas.
  • Wow this is all SO much earlier that I tought. Even with first pregnancies.

Guess it is not so far away after all!!!
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• @StrappinArrow The first movements are more subtle than the obvious kicks you get later on. I've heard it described different ways, but to me, it felt similar to a muscle twitching. Not the most glamorous way to describe it, but it's a feeling I could relate it to having actually felt before. I'd guess you're probably feeling gas right now, only because baby is still so small and weighs so very little.

• I felt my first move around 16 weeks with an anterior placenta. Hoping to feel things sooner this time!
  • 14 weeks with my first, hoping number 2 will be early too!
  • Felt my first at 15 weeks. It was a very obvious little "pop" type move and it starts pretty low in your uterus (for me at least) which for some reason surprised me, even though it makes perfect sense.
  • I felt my first twitter at 13 weeks. I feel this one now but I know it's not true. It's either gas or phantom movement.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• I felt my first at 15 weeks. 
  • I've been feeling mine on and off since 10 weeks (I'm almost 13 weeks now)! This is my first, but I am pretty in tune with my body and know I'm really feeling it. The first time was like a little sporadic twitch when I was lying in bed one morning. Yesterday I decided to lie on my stomach and relax to see what would happen. Nothing for several minutes, and then I felt repeated light pressure the same as if you touched one finger on your other palm-- not pressing, just lightly touching, and it was frequent, until I rolled over.
  • What does it feel like?
    I get this weird floppy feeling in front right above my pelvic bone. Very strange feeling always in the same spot. wasn't sure if it was gas.
    For me, it felt like gas, or a little fish fluttering, but not in places where you feel gas, kwim? 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm almost 13 weeks and I can feel flutters. This is my 3rd pregnancy and while I don't think I'm actually expericing them any sooner as a result, I think I am just more in tune with how subtly it starts. With my others by 16 weeks or so you could definitely feel them bopping around in there.
  • Huh.  I've been feeling a few flutters lately but figured there was no way it could be baby.  (I assumed it was too early.)  But it sure felt like baby.  Now after reading others' experiences, maybe it was!?  That makes me happy.  :blush: 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @JennM205 - I'm with you. Last time I felt some movements always in a very specific spot really early on but convinced myself it just couldn't be (of course bigger movements later on were unmistakable - I was one of those alien-pregnant ladies where my entire belly shifted side to side as he rolled, and a few times could see a clear foot outline).

I'm with @kknoll59 where I feel like I'm super in tune with my body which helps, especially if laying on my belly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @JennM205 I've read you can feel as early as 13 weeks with 2nd+ babies. So maybe not too early at all then. :smile: 

@AnnaS930 I also felt a few twitters the first time earlier on (around 14/15 weeks) that I'd convinced myself couldn't be baby. In the back of mind, I've always wondered about whether I could have actually been feeling her that early. Also... later along, people kept telling me to wait until I saw an outline of her hand or foot. Never happened. I think my anterior placenta didn't help. I could feel her in my back a lot, though. Every time I'd get a massage, she'd go wild. I can't wait for baby kicks again!

• 1st baby at 14 weeks....felt like popcorn popping and swirling. Staring to feel this baby now!
  • Not going to lie, kinda side eyeing some responses, but then last night I totally felt things...but it's hard to believe it's baby because it's still so very small.  So I don't know.  I knew for sure I felt him last time at 20 weeks though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been feeling little bubble-like flutters (13 weeks), and I've been assuming it's just gas. But my little monkey butt is SUPER wiggly, always bopping around during ultrasounds, and it's hard for the doctor and I to find his heartbeat for more than a few seconds because he's always swimming away from it. Knowing that, and after reading some of the other responses, maybe I am feeling little movements...   
  • I am 13 weeks with my first and am totally getting the butterfly flutters always in the same area: very low left side. I feel it everyday. Usually early in the morning or late at night. I am pretty certain it's not gas. Those feelings happen a little higher. It's really exciting! 
  • guitarra1614guitarra1614 member
    edited March 2016

My doctor said don't expect movement until about 18 weeks.  I thought it was nice of her to be all like "Don't stress yourself out. A watched pot never boils."  So, if I've felt the baby moving, I have not noticed.  :-)

• I felt my first around 17 weeks or so, but when I laid down on my back I could see her move across my belly.  It was super freaky.

This time I have been feeling this baby around 10.5 weeks or so.  I thought I was going crazy but have a few friends who felt it at that time too.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker