June 2016 Moms
Options

Newborn photos

NicknShanNicknShan member
edited February 2016 in June 2016 Moms
STM here, and I didn't do official newborn shots with my son. However, I would like to this go around (pics of both my son and the babe). 

When do you book them? Do I "reserve" a slot now? What's the best age for pics? 
Married: June 25, 2011
DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

Re: Newborn photos

• Options
    My sister answered this perfectly. She suggests emailing the photos you're interested in, tell them your EDD and they usually are able make it work within the first week to 2 weeks of birth. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I've heard within a couple days to 12-14 days is best. Mostly because they will likely sleep most of the time. When we did our daughters I just told her my due date and she kept a couple slots open within a 2 week range. So I would definitely try to book with someone now. You're having a RCS aren't you? So picking a date may be a little easier for you. Most photographers will let you know when and what age they prefer.  With my daughter she was 6 days old and my son was like 11 I think. I'll be doing them myslef for this baby and will try to do them as early as possible. 

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My brother in law is a photographer, so he's most likely going to do our baby pictures, so I don't have to book anything in advance.

My friends that have done them usually do them the first couple weeks. I would say it never hurts to do some research and maybe contact some places you are interested in and ask them,

• Options
    The photographer we're using recommends booking a slot asap. I'll probably be putting our deposit down in the next few weeks. 

As far as the actual photos, she said she prefers to do them within the first 14 days after baby is born when he/she is sleeping most of the day and more limber to be posed and such. 
  • Options
    I found that the really good ones around me book so fast that we reached out when I was quite newly pregnant.  I decided to switch from the one I used when my daughter was born because she took 6 weeks to get me pictures.  That is too long for me considering she doesn't do many edits until I tell her what I want done after that point.  We did a Christmas mini-session in November with the new one and we liked her so much, we booked her.  They will tell you how far out to book if you ask and they will tell you how to handle the actual session.  Mine has me tell her once the baby is born then we schedule.  We have a planning session before my due date.  As for timing, we did my daughter's at 10 days old.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm also doing official newborn photos this time, but didn't with my boys (maybe all the pink and girly accessories might have motivated me a little...). Our photographer books 4 newborn shoots a month maximum she said, so once you give birth you let her know so she can fit you in within 7-10 days. I did have to pay the full amount to book my session.

I'm really hoping getting two wild boys and a baby in some pics will be possible, too. I'm dying just imagining my little guys dressed up, holding their baby sister...
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

• Options
    Oh, @BPaisley 's post reminds me. We also had to pay in full.  In our case, we signed up for a first year package (newborn, 6 months and one year) so it is REALLY pricey.  She gave us a payment plan where we pay 1/6 of it for the 6 months leading up to my due date.  That is enough for her to hold the slot for us.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Booked ours already as well. ($100 deposit)  A good piece of advice that I received was get someone that will come to your home and take them.  They usually stay for about 3-4 hours so they can go through the baby's eat/sleep/poop cycle. In a studio, you may only have a specific time slot and baby may be grumpy.   FTM so I don't really know what is best.  :) 
  • Options
    In response to @KOR121, some photographers who have their own studio won't book sessions close together on the same day. My sister allows upwards of 5 hours per newborn session in her studio, followed by an hour or two between. It's in her own home so it's temperature controlled, always clean (she's got bad ocd lol) and her kids are usually with our parents or their dad takes them out for the day. Some photos may also charge extra for traveling to the client. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the process of looking now and will probably book soon. Like others said she wants to do them within the first 2 weeks after the baby is born.

Also like @sdLindenberg said the photographer i'm looking into takes the pictures at her studio but schedules 2-4 hours for the session. She'll travel to your home but it costs extra. 
  • Options
    I've talked to our photographer already.  Our timing will be off because of NICU time.  DS was 3 weeks old because he came early so he was on the older side but it worked.
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have mine booked as well.   I probably called too early, but I was excited and a little paranoid lol.  I'm having the same photographer take my maternity and newborn photos.  We scheduled a tentative day for the newborn pictures, but that date is flexible, depending on when LO is born.  I can't wait!  I'm so excited for both photo shoots.
  • Options
    I've already booked ours already (only because she had a great deal during January & I couldn't pass it up), & all she asked was for our EDD. We'll let her know once he's arrived & schedule the photoshoot then (she aims for 10 days after birth, but obviously that's not a guarantee). 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Options
    Like others, mine does it at her studio, which is in her home and she blocks off 4 hours at least for a session. She apparently keeps it really warm to keep babies sleepy and takes as many breaks as needed for nursing, etc.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

• Options
    I booked our photographer in December; she is the same woman we used for my youngest daughter's pictures, and we loved her, but she books up way in advance so I didn't want to wait. She also does the photos in her studio, and recommends doing them before the baby is 10 days old. She keeps it very warm in there, has tons of props and wraps, and allots 5 hours for the shoot to allow for nursing, diaper changes, crying, etc.

• Options
    I booked our photographer in December, we are using the same woman that took photos of DS and she gets super booked up because we're in the NY/NJ area and she's one of the top rated photographers.  She likes to do them within the first 10 days when possible (DS was 8 days old when we had his taken).  If you see someone you like now, it's never too early to book.  But if you haven't found someone yet, I don't think you need to worry about it either.