December 2015 Moms
Options

Day Care Indecision - Updated

Update: Rather than start a new thread, I just decided to change the title of this one and update it.

So I've moved away from the idea of two day cares at once, and thought I had finally decided on day care #2. I just have this uneasy feeling about it, and I don't know why. She has all the credentials and licensing from the state, but I just have this awful nagging and completely unfounded iffy feeling about it that I can't explain. I think a lot of it is because she is watching 10 kids from infant to pre-schooler by herself. When I told her that I thought my 11 week old would be coming full time, she said she would hire her mom to come help, but when my schedule changed and I told her that we would just need three days a week, she said that she wouldn't have her mom come help unless she got more kids because she would have to pay her mom (so... just pay her for three days a week instead of five?).

On my way home from picking up enrollment papers, I saw a sign in a neighbor's yard that she has an opening for child care. She's $110 a week and within walking distance, and cares for a maximum of 6 kids (one is her grandson). The only thing is that she doesn't have all the credentials for education or whatever, but that's not really necessary for an infant, in my opinion. As long as they are cared for and safe.

I'm pretty sure that the new day care is the better option, both financially and in terms of caregiver to child ratio, and will decide after I talk it over with my DH, but are there any factors that I am forgetting? I feel a little bad about being wishy-washy about day cares, but my first DD was 2 years old by the time she went to day care, so finding care for an infant is new and terrifying for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I've been looking for a daycare for my daughter for a while now, but the ones around here are just too expensive for us and/or don't have any openings for months ($185 to 250 a week, which is more than our mortgage; I realize that folks living in larger cities, etc. pay way more than this. I've even heard $500-$1000 a week. In which case, I would just quit my job and stay home).

I found two in-home daycares that are nearby and affordable. #1 charges by the hour ($4.50/hr for babies) and #2 charges $140 full time or $4/hr part time. 

#1 is my first choice - she's been in business for a long time, offers evenings and weekend care, and has three other teachers working with her during the day. Unfortunately, she's pretty much full during the day, but said that she usually isn't full on Mondays and Fridays, and sometimes Wednesdays, and I could always call on those days and see if there is space to drop in.

#2 is also good, and has space available for an infant, but right now, she is only working by herself. She said that if she takes another infant on, she would have to have her mother come over and help. Everything else is perfectly fine, but the fact that she would be getting help from her mother makes me a little uneasy, as its not like its a regular employee or anything. 

I'm thinking about maybe having my daughter go to daycare #2 part time on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then use #1 as an option on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, if she has space. This way, if #2 ends up being great, we can move to full time there, but also, if a full time opening opens up at #1, we'd already be established there.

Has anyone else ever done this? I'm I completely nuts?   

Re: Day Care Indecision - Updated

• Options
    For consistency and convenience sake, I would personally go full time at #2. I can't imagine calling every MWF to see if there's an opening for LO for #1. It would also be good for LO to see the same people each day.

And at least with #2, it's her own mom helping her out and not just a total random. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've had to do this before twice. I did daycare two days a week and then nursery school the other days bc the nursery school didn't have ft openings at the time and I didn't want them going to daycare not learning anything. Second time was because of my job and having to work late nights. First babysitter watched them all day until 5:30p second babysitter watched them until 7:30p.  

Sometimes you gotta do what works best for you & once you get used to it, it becomes routine.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would stick with #2 for consistency and so as not to lose the spot. You can ask #1 to put you on a waiting list and call you if they have a full-time space open up 
  • Options
    Do whatever works for your family, but this seems like a ton of work and stress. I would probably stick with #2 for consistency.