December 2015 Moms

New SUV?

It's time to trade up from my adorable fuel efficient Nissan Versa hatchback, I need 4WD and room for stuff besides the car seat. I have my heart set on a Jeep because I had a Grand Cherokee in my 20s when I had expendable income. I'm looking at the smaller SUVs Compass and a Cherokee. Anyone have either? Will my jogger fit in the cargo space? 

Re: New SUV?

• I have a 4 door wrangler and the jogger fits nicely in the cargo space. 
  • I just bought a Subaru Outback and I LOVE it! If you want something bigger we almost went with the forester but decided the outback was right size for us. They are excellent AWD cars have amazing safety ratings and hold up very well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • No advice, but I'm so jealous! DH and I switched cars because the stroller fits in his. I miss my car. Note to self: make sure the stroller fits before you buy! Lol
  • Do NOT get a Jeep Cherokee. I thought it would be perfect for me because it's smaller like me. It was smoking less than 48 hours after I bought it. It's been to the dealership 8 times in 6 months. They have REPLACED the engine and nothing else so the car has 8000 miles on it but the engine has 2000. I have contacted Fiat/Chrysler and I was not the only person with this issue. The only one that isn't having issues is the Trailhawk trim because that's the one the company spent the most time developing. 

This is just my experience but I have spent too much of my time in a rental while my jeep was at the dealership for a problem they couldn't diagnose. 
  • Oh and a Compass will not retain its value. You will be upside down in it very quickly. 
  • I have a 2012 jeep patriot. My big ass stroller fits in the back easily and the car itself is low enough that I don't have to climb in with the car seat to get it out/ put it in (I'm 4 11 on a good day) the middle seat has the brackets to clip in the car seat base and there is still somewhat comfortable space in the side seats. However, I test drove a Chevy equinox and absolutely loved it. The only problem is I had to put the car seat in the side seats then pull myself up into the car and then put the car seat into the base, but again I'm a short thing. 
  • (I'm 4 11 on a good day
    Me too!!! 

Unrelated to OP but @meansallison do people give you the side stare when your trying to carry a baby in a car seat? I have to use both hands and kind of wobble. Jealous of the women who do it with ease. 
  • Lol! @ATolentino89 I used to be able to carry the diaper bag and car seat and have one free hand! Then I was on restrictiona for a week and lost it. I now wobble and have to make multiple trips. The struggle is too real.
  • I have a compass and love it! When I'm done with this one I think I'm going to get the Cherokee.  My stroller fits in the trunk and I pile groceries around it.  Back seat fits the car seat and 2 dogs (when I have to) it gets 30ish miles to the gallon...so for a small suv it's pretty awesome! 
  • Thanks ladies, good call on bringing the car seat (DS will be @ my moms) and the jogger. No point in test driving a car that doesn't fit baby's things. 
  • I had a grand cherokkee. The stroller fits perfectly fine in the trunk and at leaves space for the groceries. However once you put the seats Rear facing behind the passenger seat there really is not a lot of leg room left in the front for the passenger. I just traded in and got a Hyundai tucson. It has a little bit less space in the trunk probably like a foot less but you get that space for leg room on the front and you have more elbow room.
  • (I'm 4 11 on a good day
    Me too!!! 

Unrelated to OP but @meansallison do people give you the side stare when your trying to carry a baby in a car seat? I have to use both hands and kind of wobble. Jealous of the women who do it with ease. 
    Yes! I get a lot of stares period when I have DS with me. I have a very young face, I've been asked if I'm in high school so I'm sure people think I'm about 16. I have a nice array of bruises near my knee from the car seat! My boy will be taller than me by the time he's 11. DH is 6 3" so I'm screwed!
  • Definitely take the car seat and stroller with you. Adjust the front seats how you and DH are comfortable and then try to install the car seat. This method crossed a lot of SUVs off our list when we were looking. Didn't get to a test drive on several of them this way. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Keep in mind having two car seats rear facing if you plan on having another within two or three years. 

Jamie

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers