Pregnant after a Loss

Heart monitors

So i have an at home heart monitor that i bought and used with my first son. He is healthy and fine. But now that i have had a missed miscarriage i am very happy that i have this heart monitor it helps me relax for at least a week lol. But i am now 11 weeks and i just used it again today after a week to be reassuring baby is fine. And baby is thank goodness. But my mom says heart monitors can be dangerous. I want to know what you ladies think. Are heart monitors dangerous to use at least once a week? My doctor made it sound like it was ok to use it. Idk if I'm harming my baby now just to make myself feel better or if I'm worried to much. 

Re: Heart monitors

• My doctor told me they were safe also. Before I could feel him move, I used mine every other day, sometimes I could go two days between uses. It helped calm my nerves. I had my rainbow baby 2 weeks ago and he is completely healthy! I say use it!
  • Thank you rachrobertson. I thought i was alone. I just freaked out this whole week not using it and it sucked lol. But this morning when i heard babies heart beat i felt so much better and im more relaxed. Congrats on your rainbow baby. I know that will be us soon. I can't wait. 
  • Loading the player...
  • A nurse at my doctor's office suggested I get a doppler if I got nervous.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• after 3 losses finally today I was able to use my Doppler and fine my little ones heart beat with it. I have never been this far and today is the first day I have been able to hear anything with it at 9w3d. a wonderful beautiful sound at 160-175.
    My OB told my he didn't like them due to the fact that if the baby moves or for some reason you cannot find it when you have been able to before it causes unnecessary stress. But if it gave me peace of mind then he was okay with it.
    I say use it :smiley:  
  • I think my only drawback is what @cammlyn mentioned about not being able to find it and causing stress. I haven't been able to find the heartbeat on mine but I'm only 8+2 so I know it's wishful thinking. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • But now that I have found it in want to use it like 50 times a day lol
  • I ordered a Sonoline B today.  I know I probably won't find it since it's early and I'm okay with that.  Finding it and then not finding it.. that'll be another issue.  I just can't be surprised again like we were with the MMC

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Not to be a downer, but I have read that ultrasound does alter growing cells slightly and that it hasn't been rigorously tested for excessive/elective use. I've opted out of extra ultrasounds for this reason. Dopplers use a lower fequency and are potentially less hazardous. I know it can be reassuring in those early weeks to hear that little heartbeat though. 
  • I've had mine for almost a week now. My doctor told me it was safe, but did tell me not to freak out if I can't find the heartbeat. I'm trying to use it every 2 days or so. I can see how it can become addictive.
  • whickeyloowhickeyloo member
    edited February 2016
    Well im glad to hear so far it is safe to use. I just don't want to hurt baby is all. I just hear different things. It is hard to say which is right or wrong. But i like hearing the heart beat. In the last week my baby had moved up just a little bit. I think my uterus is starting to rise above my pubic bone. Which means i will be showing soon. I'm very excited. But thanks for your input ladies. It makes me feel better. It's one less thing to worry about. 
  • Quick question. I'm only 11 weeks along. Is it possible baby has moved up or is it still to early? Also could i be hearing the placenta instead. Cause down in my pubic area i didn't get a hb so I'm a little concerned. I heard the placenta can still make a beating sounds and baby can be dead. I haven't had any symptom losses. Should i call my doctor? This is why i think my mom told me it was a bad idea lol. 
  • When is your next appointment?
  • At 11 weeks, it's still hard to hear the hb. My dr only managed to catch it briefly when I was 12w3d. And you will know it is your baby's hb if it is around 120-180 beats per minute. Their hearts beat much faster than ours. You can hear your own hb in your abdomen as well, but as I said, it will be much slower. Maybe around 70 bpm.

Take a deep breath and try to relax.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• I'm doing fine. I'm just curious. But my appointment is next Friday. 
  • This advice is unsolicited and not meant to be critical. 

Worrying about out whether your baby is alive or not doesn't stop when they're born. It's a good habit to start practicing now not to worry and to trust that things are ok. Pregnancy and parenting are good practices in patience. 

I'd try to wait until your appointment to check again for the heartbeat. Since you've heard it already, odds are in your favor that you'll hear it again with the Doctor in a week. It will be so reassuring when you hear it again, whether that's tomorrow or in a week. 
  • I watched a few You Tube videos before using mine. There are several sounds you can pick up with the Doppler that can be mistaken for the baby's heart (your own heart, placenta, etc). I don't have a link to any of the videos I watched, but I did find them helpful and some of the ladies would point out the various noises. As other users have said, at this point it may be difficult to hear a heartbeat. When I first tried my doppler at 12 weeks it took me a few attempts to find it, and I only picked it up for a few short seconds. I wanted to show my husband when he got a home a few hours later and couldn't find the HB. It immediately caused me to start to worry. I have since picked up the heartbeat. I've been using it 2-3 times a week, and am trying to cut back to once a week. I don't want this to become an obsession, and am trying to use it sparingly in between appointments. You have a few short days until your doctors appointment, so just hang in there and try to relax ( I know that's much easier said than done). Best Wishes!