October 2015 Moms

Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

Has anyone tried Baby Led Weaning (BLW)? I have done some research on it. There are a lot of pro and cons. My LO is only 4 months but I'd like to have an idea of what I want to do before its time to get started. 
I don't intend to start solids until 6 months unless he is just ready to go earlier. ;)
Any advice or experiences?
Baby Riker - 10/20/15 11:46pm 7lbs 9oz 21in

Re: Baby Led Weaning (BLW)

• I did this with my first 2 kids.  I ended up nursing both of them until the 20/21 month mark each. :] I tried solids with my oldest at 6 months but she didn't want them until 9 months. My 2nd daughter grabbed everything she could and therefore "tried" a handful of foods in her 5th month before I started solids with her at 6 months. My baby mimics our mouths chewing but that's it  
  • We did a mix of purees and BLW. We did purees at first for allergy purposes and to figure out LOs favorites. We did BLW from there.  Started with sweet potatoes, avocado, baby mum mums. As LO got older we added in hummus, yogurt, eggs, etc.  Once baby has some teeth we gave Cheerios, puffs, green beans, grapes (cut into very, very small bites), strawberries, toast (cut into strips) etc.

We also believe food before one is just for fun. So our LO didn't get three meals a day until well after one year.  We offer a variety of stuff that is age appropriate so LO gets a variety of tastes and textures.