Pregnant after a Loss

Pregnant and questions regarding MC (TW)

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me for posting here. I am not a regular on this board. I participated on the TTGP board and the Oct. 2016 board after my bfp. However, PGAL brain has me absolutely frozen with fear and I have not been active on Oct. 2016 for at least a week. 

I wanted to ask a few questions regarding miscarriage and I did not feel right about triggering a bad day for someone on TTCAL since I am still pregnant at the moment. 

Brief background: I have 2 living children but I have also had 2 chemical pregnancies and one ectopic pregnancy resulting in the surgery and the removal of my left tube. I am currently 6 weeks pregnant but, I had an early ultrasound yesterday to rule out ectopic due to history. The ultrasound showed a gestational sac measuring 5 weeks 5 days and nothing else. I repeat the ultrasound next week but, the doctor entertained the idea of it possibly being a non viable pregnancy. 

As of today my symptoms have vanished and I am convinced it is the beginning of the end. However, my husband and mom believe I am over reacting and jumping to conclusions. 

My questions : Did anyone have gut feelings about their losses? Did you just know?  

Also, with the exception of the ectopic, I have never had a loss at this point in gestation. My CPs  were very early and ended naturally within a day or two of my missed period.  What can I expect if this is not a viable?  A d&c ? 

I apologize again if this not posted in the correct place or is in bad tact. 

I wish you all the best and boring 9 months!

ETA I realize I should have picked my doctor's brain on some of these questions but, I was sort of blind sided. 

Re: Pregnant and questions regarding MC (TW)

• I'm sorry the possibility of another loss is even present for you. Here's my story, take from it what you will. 
    June 2013- DD born at 39 weeks happy and healthy. 
    April 2014- surprise bfp with no period back from breastfeeding. US showed just a sac. Was deemed a blighted ovum. Naturally miscarried at 6-7 weeks. (Guessing since I don't have a cycle to go off of). My natural miscarriage was worse than labor for me with horrendous bleeding. 
    May 2015- bfp. US shows heartbeat but dr acts "weird" about it and keeps saying "don't worry but..." With no reassurance. At 9 week apt baby did t have a heartbeat anymore. D&C a couple days later. That was the easiest procedure I've ever had. Thank god. 
    August 2015- bfp. Currently 31 weeks. 

Both my losses caught me completely off guard. That's why my anxiety was SO bad this time around. 

I hope for for you the best. It's still so early to tell. 
  • Thank you so much for taking the time to read and reply. I am so sorry for your losses and congrats on your pregnancy! 

So, I take it if I am given a choice on letting things run their course vs a D&C, the D&C is the better option?  What was recovery like post- D&C? I'm asking because not only am I trying to mentally prepare for a loss but, I'm trying to logistically prepare for a loss ( child care for during and after the procedure, gauging how much time off my husband would need to take off work, etc). 

My in laws do not know about this pregnancy and will not know if it ends due to my MIL's insensitive comments and lack of discretion during my ectopic. 

Thanks again. 

Best wishes to you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Emotionally- I was a mess regarding the d&c. My husband was out of town and my work schedule was NUTS. And... I had to take care of an almost 2 year old. But for me- it's the only way to go. It took approx 30 mins, hurt for 30 secs like a bad period cramp and then was over. I had barely any bleeding after. I easily could have taken just a day off work but they wanted me to take 3+ days off which wasn't an option. I had it done late Friday afternoon and felt physically fine by sat am. Barely any blood on the pad and then my period back 4 weeks later. I hope this helps! 
  • cjs260cjs260 member
    edited February 2016
    *Lurker*

Hi there.... I was just lurking here from TTCAL because I'm hoping to be over here soon and wanted to snoop around. First off, I want to say that TODAY you are pregnant. Try not to worry - I know it's hard. 

This is probably not what you want to hear, but I did have gut feelings. One day, I woke up, set straight up in bed, and just "knew". I can't really explain what it was more than that... just a feeling something wasn't right. I'm sure that many more people have such feelings and go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies I found out about my MMC 2 weeks later. My symptoms never disappeared, but they did dampen quite a bit. I also had some very light, brown spotting a few days later.

Every loss is different - if the body recognizes it's non-viable, then it will be a natural miscarriage. My loss wasn't recognized fully by my body and my gestational sac continued to grow and secrete HCG, so I remained "pregnant" to my body until 10 weeks, where we saw an empty sac on the ultrasound. I was given the option of either an D&C or misoprostol (name brand Cytotec) to induce the miscarriage. I chose the Cytotec, because I was worried about uterine scarring from a D&C (you should research it and decide what's best for you if you have to). I did have some after effects from the misoprostol (excessive bleeding during AF and constant spotting during the rest of the cycle), but 3 "cycles" later I have had a "normal" cycle with good temps and confirmed O. I took one day off from work, but I am a graduate student and didn't have the option for much more. I would have taken off 3 if I could, but I was physically able to go back to work the next day. Emotionally, I feel like I have recovered acutely, but I still am anxious as to what the future holds for me and DH. 

I sincerely hope that this was just a needless scare and you have a happy, boring 9 months. Sending positive thoughts and good vibes your way! 

ETA: To fix a sentence I started but didn't finish....

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @cjs260  thank you for your reply! I appreciate your honesty. I did not even realize that a drug to induce it was an option so, if i get bad news about it next week I will ask about it. I want to weigh my options and thank you for throwing that out there. 

As for your gut feelings, I'm glad you shared them. If I am right about this, it is nice to know I'm not crazy for feeling like I already knew. 

I came here searching for answers because, honestly, my BMB despite occasional snark, is too rainbows and glitter for me at the moment. 

Good luck with TTC!  I hope you get pregnant soon and have a smooth 9 months.
  • Thank you! If you do end up with sad news feel free to message me if you have any questions you don't feel like posting.  I really hope everything turns out okay for you, too! 

• lickasticklickastick member
    edited February 2016
    I'm sorry that you're going through this, it's never easy to do whether it's just anxiety or a miscarriage- it all sucks.  Before my loss  I lost my symptoms overnight, and I had some clear moments of knowing that I would miscarry earlier on in the pregnancy.

I started bleeding at eight weeks and I just knew it was the end. I miscarried naturally, and while it was painful it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. If I had to choose between a D&C,a pill, or natural, I would choose the natural route again if I could.  The D&C might be easier physically but if my body is capable of doing it naturally and me being fine, I'd like to let my body run the course.  That's not always an option for every woman, sometimes it's just a better fit to do the D&C or take the pill.  

I hope the news is good news and you don't have to go through another loss. Good luck! 
  • I had a blighted ovum Oct 2013 and miscarried naturally. FOR ME..... it was horrible and painful and very bloody etc and still needed a D&C. I was still nursing a 10 month old at the time and also had 3 other healthy boys. I had endured a vaginal delivery and 2 sections and the natural miscarriage was by far the worst. I had no idea anything was wrong until doc told me.... I mean after all, I had 4 perfect kiddos.
    Fast forward to April 2015 and I had a MMC at 11 weeks. We checked and triple checked the baby  due to the previous loss and everything was perfect until the day or 2 before we lost the baby. And yes. ... I "knew". I was walking in to get an ultrasound and said.... don't let the boys come in until we see if the baby still has a heartbeat. Who says such craziness? Anyways.... I insisted on a D&C this next morning and physically did great.... emotionally. .... I still mourn. But.... here I am almost 32 weeks with baby boy #5! 
    I hope and pray u are fine 
  • I'm so sorry you're in this place of uncertainty. For my current pregnancy, I had an u/s at 5w1d that showed a gestational sac and yolk sac. If you didn't see a yolk sac and your symptoms disappeared, I'd get mentally prepared for it to be non-viable. Are you certain when ovulation occurred? In other words, were you temping? If not, I wouldn't worry yet.

I had a MMC at 9 weeks followed by a d&c at 11 weeks my first time around. I felt fine later that day, once the anesthesia fully wore off. I started bleeding heavily a couple days later. That lasted a month. I had hcg in my system for two months afterward, so I suspect that I had some retained placental tissue that was actively bleeding and producing hcg. (FYI, my dr said in his experience, most patients that took cytotec ended up needing a d&c anyway, so he didn't recommend that.)

My second loss was a chemical pregnancy a couple days after AF was due. I never got any symptoms for that one. I kept temping, so I got a heads up the day before it ended. It was still upsetting, but I was grateful for the warning.

I was certain that I was losing this pregnancy twice early on. My symptoms decreased for 24 hours and my temp dropped a bit at 3w5d and then at 4w6d I felt cramps and cervical pinching/pressure. My previous losses made me paranoid about everything. 

Like me I said, if it were me, I'd prepare myself for bad news. I measured behind with my first, but my dr said it was fine and my DH said I was worrying over nothing, so I went into my next u/s nervous, but expecting good news. I wish I had been mentally prepared. With that being said, I hope you end up getting good news. Fx for you.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @cjs260  I Googled cytotec. Did your Dr. rx  pain meds with it? It sounds... intense. 

@createillumination how long did it take for you to miscarry naturally?  Will I potentially carry the pregnancy for weeks before it starts up? ( I'm not far along) 6 weeks 1 day. I will be 7 weeks on the day of my follow up ultrasound  (which will reveal if it is viable or not). 
  • lickasticklickastick member
    edited February 2016
     That's the million-dollar question that nobody can really answer. For me it worked because I started miscarrying spontaneously before I even knew or confirmed what was happening.  I started spotting  in the morning and by the end of that night at 4am I had miscarried all the products of conception (as they say.)  I was eight weeks and I hadn't had an ultrasound or any betas because of the type of care model I was in. I feel like the baby stopped growing at six weeks so I probably carried it two weeks without knowing. If that's the case it was a blessing in disguise that I didn't have an early ultrasound. It's such a personal decision and I think you will find what is right for you. 

I couldn't live waiting for weeks and weeks for it to happen, always wondering when it would start. In that scenario I would probably give it the most reasonable amount of time that I could emotionally manage and then choose the pill or a D&C.  I'm an acupuncturist and an herbalist, so I would take some pretty heavy herbs and do some pretty heavy acupuncture to see if I could start it naturally. But that's just me, and of course that route is not going to be the right thing for every woman.

I'm wishing you all the luck that you don't have to go through this at all. It's a special kind of hell having to wait to find out if you've lost your baby. T&P that you get a happy ending. 
  • My symptoms stopped suddenly at 8 weeks, so I think it was over for a week before I found out. I waited an additional two weeks to see if I would miscarry naturally. I was planning to wait another week, but it was rough waiting for closure so my husband suggested I schedule the d&c.

The hardest part for me was adjusting to the news. On top of the world one minute and devastated the next. I know waiting for news is horrible, but perhaps it can be a gentler transition if the news is not good. Take care of yourself this week. Good luck.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @createillumination I thought I recognized your SN! You posted on TTGP about acupuncture, if I recall correctly. I did acupuncture and herbs to conceive this baby and my son. I wasn't sure if TCM could speed a miscarriage or not... I will email my acupuncturist. 

At this point I'm leaning towards natural or the pill. D&C is my last choice, I think.

@CarrieandRoy I am preparing for bad news. This pregnancy felt very strong at first and now I feel borderline normal. Part of me wonders if all my worry over how to miscarry is even necessary because, I have a hunch I might not make it to the ultrasound Thursday and things might start early. I've been having some mild cramps and lower back ache that feels like a period is coming, sort of.  
  • @iceandsnowflakes29 My dr. did prescribe pain meds. For me, it was like my period cramps on steroids. It didn't get painful until about 3 hours after I took the medicine, and then it was about 30 minutes of intense pain - it felt like one long cramp - then instant relief. I saw my dr. the next day to get an Rhogam shot and she said the instant relief was a sign that everything passed, which ultrasound later confirmed. The only past severe pain experience I have to compare the pain to was kidney stones, which the pain was much longer with an unknown timeframe for stopping. If kidney stone pain was a 10/10 for pain, the pill was about 8/10. I wouldn't want to do it without pain meds - Tylenol 3 was a lifesaver. 

• I naturally miscarried at 8 weeks with my last pregnancy. It was a painful few hours of contractions and I bled for maybe a week or so after and it was over. Once my hcg returned to normal levels and my period came I conceived again almost immediately. I have heard that from a D&C you are supposed to wait a few months longer to try again since your uterus lining will be very thin afterward. For me, naturally miscarrying was the way to go. I wanted to trust my body to do it for me. I can see where a D&C is necessary if your body wasn't recognizing the miscarriage but like others have said, everyone is different. Some people emotionally can't do a natural miscarriage and that I also understand. For me, it was more emotionally challenging for me to not do it naturally. FX things work out for you though. 
  • I had a MMC last year.  After the first off US I just knew it was over.  The US showed around 6.5 weeks of development and no heart beat, I should have been 9.5 weeks.  I hope you have better news.

I waited two weeks to miscarry naturally, before the OB prescribed mistropotol to enduce miscarriage.  I took a total of four doses over the course of a week and nothing happened.  Finally after 4 weeks I had a D&C.  The waiting was awful, perhaps under different circumstances it would have been easier but waiting a month knowing I was carrying a fetus that had been non viable for weeks before they diagnosed the MMC was emotionally very hard.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers