February 2016 Moms

Yet another name drama post.

ARogers26ARogers26 member
edited February 2016 in February 2016 Moms
My aunt g called me tonight. She is my awesome favorite aunt that I keep in touch with. She has known we were going to name this boy Luke for quite some time. She called to let me know that my other aunt. Not so awesome, pill popping can't hold a job aunt -- had a baby 30 years ago that lived for one day and his name was Luke. :(

ETA the other half of my post. 

I am not sure if we should reconsider the name or not. I see other aunt maybe once a year if that. I don't want to cause her pain but also can't help but wonder why no one has said anything until 2 weeks before my EDD. Thoughts??

Re: Yet another name drama post.

• Karen249Karen249 member
    edited February 2016
    I would say go with what makes you happy. If it was significant, someone would have mentioned it before. I'm sure at this point you have already connected to and been calling your bump "Luke" at this point. It's a great name. I say go for it. 
  • If all else fails , and you feel a little uncomfortable, switch the first and middle names you chose with one another or use something like Lucas that you can shorten to Luke. Someone should have told you before, but stuff like that is often hard to talk about.
  • Loading the player...
  • Who waits until now to tell you that?!? I think it's completely fine to still name him Luke if you want to (and who wants to change last minute!) But is it something you're going to always think about? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I totally agree- who waits until now?!?! That is my main annoyance. I hate that she lost a baby. But we are as close as if this was someone down the street telling me her aunt had lost a baby named Luke. I think we are going ahead with it. My dad - her brother - is coming over tonight to visit and I am going to bring it up. Like why didn't you say something??? Depending on his reaction I will probably stick with Luke. My son already calls my bump baby Luke. 
  • Did your aunt imply you should pick another name? Because naming your son Luke could be a nice way to honor that first baby Luke, now that you know. My partner is named after his mom's brother who died when he was just a few days old, and the rest of the family seems to appreciate that a lot.

If she did imply you should pick another name...I think it's odd. It's been 30 years and Luke isn't an uncommon name. I'm sure she encounters it regularly. 
  • Aunt G just thinks that other aunt will be drama about it. After sleeping on it I don't really care. I am not anti honoring her baby but it also isn't something I want specifically to do. It would be a lie to say that is why we chose the name. Now I have had several family members pass - young and old - I have no problem honoring people but it isn't the case here. We just liked the name.  Our first son also has a biblical name. 
  • Luke is a great name and I say stick with it!
  • If the only concern is the drama around it, I'd stick with the name. She sounds like the type to start drama no matter what.. So if it isn't this, it will be something else. Luke is a very common name, as well. It's not like you're choosing the same obscure name that he had. 

• I agree with @VitaLuna. People like that will start drama over one thing or another. Do what makes you and your family happy! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I know everyone is different, but I lost my baby when she was 4 months old.  If my niece or nephew decided they wanted to give their baby her name, I would be fine with it.  Her name was Sophia, so I see it a lot and hearing her name doesnt make me sad.