October 2016 Moms

Gender Reveal Party, Your thoughts?

What are your thoughts...

Love or Hate the idea? 

Do you plan on having one? 

Is it just an excuse to have a party? lol 

Re: Gender Reveal Party, Your thoughts?

• I personally hate parties that are just for the purpose of revealing the sex. I feel that it's an excuse to party and get presents, etc etc. I wouldn't even go if it was for family, I think they're that ridiculous. No offense to anyone, that's just my personal opinion. To each their own. 

Hubby and I plan to find out the sex but keep it to ourselves. If we have a shower, I may announce it then. Otherwise I'll just announce when the baby is born. 

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• edited February 2016
    Love or Hate the idea? I love them. Any reason to get people together is a good enough reason for me!

Do you plan on having one? Yes. Not inviting everyone we know, just immediate families and a few close friends.

Is it just an excuse to have a party? Yes? I love any reason to party. I do not believe this is a gift giving event, just a fun little get together.
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Loading the player...
  • I think they are cute if they are your shower. 
    But I have a friend who had one and her little boy ended up being a girl. You never know 100%. They got tons of boy stuff after that and had to buy all girl stuff themselves. 
  • If they're done separately from the shower, I think they're really AWish and unnecessary. I didn't have one with DS and if we find out the sex of this baby, we won't have one for him or her either. 

LFAF April Siggy: TV/Movie BFFs

BFP #1 12/2012, DS born 8/2013
    BFP #2 7/2015, MMC and D&C 9/2015
    BFP #3 11/2015, CP
    BFP #4 1/2016, DD born 10/2016

• gherkins said:
    I think they are cute if they are your shower. 
    But I have a friend who had one and her little boy ended up being a girl. You never know 100%. They got tons of boy stuff after that and had to buy all girl stuff themselves. 
    Oh Em Gee, lol! 
    I know someone who that has happened to as well, I couldn't imagine. Just when you think you're prepared, you're not! 
  • I hate them. However, i'm not against announcing it at the baby shower. I just think a separate party is kind of silly. If you want to party, just party. Why is a reason needed? (My opinion, but i'm also a big "Team Green" supporter) ;)
    -=- Tara -=-

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    DIStickerscom Ticker

• ktcakes87 said:
    Love or Hate the idea? I love them. Any reason to get people together is a good enough reason for me!

Do you plan on having one? Yes. Not inviting everyone we know, just immediate families and a few close friends.

Is it just an excuse to have a party? Yes? I love any reason to party. I do not believe this is a gift giving event, just a fun little get together.

I'm considering having one. My family really wants to host a party , if I do agree, I think I will have it on a smaller scale as you stated with just immediate family and close friends. 
  • The weird thing is that I thought it was a little tacky when I was pregnant with my son, but now I'm more neutral on the idea.  Part of why I can't see doing it is because you're going to be in the room while they do the ultrasound, and they just skip over that part.  I like hearing them tell me everything.  I guess it's sort of the same way I feel about not finding out at all--it would feel weird to me to have the doctors know way before me.
    I've actually never been to one, but I think the videos are cute on FB.
  • I don't have strong feelings one way or another. But my DH and I would never have one. One reason being, why would I want to find out at the same time as everyone else? I think this is a special thing that we should get to hear before anyone else. 
  • Love them. 

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• I don't see a problem with it, but we won't be having one. My cousin had one and it was cute and fun for the family. As others said, I don't think it's a gift-giving event. Either way, it's really trendy right now obviously, and I don't really like to follow "trendy" things just because they're trendy. I do like the idea of revealing at the shower although I think we're going to tell people beforehand.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • They seem cute. Never been to one though and doubt we will have one ourselves.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think they are AWish. A cute photo reveal on fb doesn't bother me. However, I hate parties and showers in general. I'm glad this my 3rd and we don't have a shower to worry about. 
  • I don't have a strong opinion either way. I think if we do a reveal it will either be at the shower or at a small family dinner with just our parents/siblings. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Nope. I dislike baby-themed parties to begin with (showers are not culturally relevant to me). A gathering for a sex reveal is just not my thing. 
    TTGP August Siggy Challenge: Best Movie Insults
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)     
  • I don't like much attention, so I kind of cringe at the idea of having a sex reveal party (because semantics are important).  I do think we'll do a little cute something to tell our parents, but that's about it.
  • I've seen them online, but I've never been to one. Not my style. So that would be a no for me.

• We aren't finding out the sex until birth, but I would not have one. They are a trend that I sort of hope dies off soon....along with chalkboards that tell us your baby is the size of a banana...
  • I do intend to throw a LAN party though. It will be a goodbye to the care-free days, and a much better reason to party. :joy: 
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)     
  • I love them! I plan on having one but I've never seen one done as another baby shower type of event with gifts. I don't want gifts I just want my family and closest friends there when we all find out! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • No clue why there is a quote block! ^^
  • @DarthFuriosa what is a LAN party? 
    It's a party where multiplayer games are played over a local area network.
    AbominationStupid head

Lilo and Stitch (2002)     
  • Parties dedicated to revealing the sex of the baby is not my style. It seems to be a pretty silly thing to have a party for - but if you and your family and whatnot are into it, its not like its hurting me :)
  • We'll do something fun for our parents, but I wouldn't throw a whole party. And while I've never been to a gender reveal party, if I were ever invited to one I wouldn't bring a gift since I don't consider it a gift giving event. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm indifferent to them at best. I don't like being the center of attention as it is, so I will definitely skip based just on that. I'm really glad that I don't have to worry about a shower this round either! However I will probably Facebook post some kind of cute picture of a colored cupcake because then I get to make and eat cupcakes.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Not for me.  I think I'd like a gender reveal party for 2 (just me and SO).  
  • It's not my bag, baby. But I don't think I'd judge anyone that had one too harshly, as long as it wasn't an obvious gift grab.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• We're team green so none here. I think they're ok for family, but prob wouldn't do one for a whole bunch of friends.
  • On a side note though, I fully intend on doing a "sip and see" get together when baby #2 arrives. With our first we had 3 weeks of daily visitors and I was exhausted. This time (aside from immediate family like grandparents), the first weekend were home I'll invite everyone over and order some pizza. Bam-done in one shot.
  • cbamama641cbamama641 member
    edited February 2016
    I would totally do something along these lines.  Most likely just for family because they are excited to know what we're having!  And quite honestly the majority of my girlfriends were texting me the minute they knew my ultrasound was done to see if our daughter was a boy or a girl.  I don't find it gift grabby  (how do you even bring a "sex appropriate" gift to a party where you'll be finding out the sex? You dont.) Nor do I find it attention seeking.  Friends and family love you and most likely love the little person growing inside you, which opens them up for excitement about that little person. To each their own and all that, but to get all worked up over someone else throwing a party like this seems pretty silly to me. :shrug:
  • I think you should have one if you want to! I had one with my first, and we had a lot of fun. It was mostly family and we had pink filled cupcakes! I probably won't do one with this baby, but I'm glad I have those memories of having one with my first. 
  • I think they're super cute and I think of them as a get-together, not a gift-giving occasion. I wouldn't have one personally because I tend to be shy about things that celebrate "me", if that makes sense. I was even shy at my first babyshower because I felt like there was a ton of attention on me and I wasn't a fan lol But, having said that, I love attending gender reveals and I threw one for a good friend of mine. I'm sure they may be just an excuse for a party but getting close family and friends together is fun regardless. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers