July 2016 Moms
Options

STMs what should be in the hospital bag?

2»

Re: STMs what should be in the hospital bag?

• Options
    I packed a lot of clothes (for me) when DD was born, but I ended up wearing PJ's, and we went home 24 hours after DD was born, so it wasn't like I had a lot of opportunity to change clothes a ton. 

After having stitches in two places with DD, I am absolutely bringing witchhazel pads with me this time. I had them at home waiting, but I will bring them just in case this time around. I am also going to bring a nursing cover. I was really struggling with BFing in the hospital, and the lactation consultant was with me when my SIL arrived. I just wasn't super comfortable BFing uncovered in front of visitors, and will bring one with me this time. I don't care around my family (like my mom or sister) but around DH's family not super comfortable without a cover.
  • Options
    I packed a lot of clothes (for me) when DD was born, but I ended up wearing PJ's, and we went home 24 hours after DD was born, so it wasn't like I had a lot of opportunity to change clothes a ton. 

After having stitches in two places with DD, I am absolutely bringing witchhazel pads with me this time. I had them at home waiting, but I will bring them just in case this time around. I am also going to bring a nursing cover. I was really struggling with BFing in the hospital, and the lactation consultant was with me when my SIL arrived. I just wasn't super comfortable BFing uncovered in front of visitors, and will bring one with me this time. I don't care around my family (like my mom or sister) but around DH's family not super comfortable without a cover.
    Your hospital should have supplied you with this while in it. Why I agree to have some ready, they should have given you any and all 'medicines ' while there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I may have missed this but for a singular pregnancy when did you all have your bag packed ? 
    I had my bag mostly packed by 37 weeks, then I had a printed list with everything that we need to grab last minute highlighted (like things that I would continue to want to use until I actually went into labor).

My pack list was:
    -boppy/breastfeeding pillow
    -hairties
    -glasses/contacts/solution/case
    -phone
    -computer
    -power cords
    -toothbrush/deodorant/hairbrush
    -makeup (not much but I don't feel like me without it)
    -nursing bra
    -comfy clothes to come home in
    -pillow (ditto the non-white case) 
    -2 coming home outfits (newborn/0-3)
    -extra bags (to help carry out all the goodies you end up accumulating from the hospital or friends/family who visit) reusable grocery bags are great for this and don't take up much space
    -flip flops for the shower 

My hospital provided non-slip socks and I mostly wore those instead of slippers from home. TMI, but I had a few instances of leaking when getting out of bed and it was nice not to have to worry about getting blood on things I planned to take home. This is the same reason I mostly wore the hospital provided gown and robe. 

For DH:
    -a pillow
    -sleeping bag (I was able to control the temp in my room and like it cold. DH liked having a thicker material than the hospital blankets to sleep under). We left this in the car until it was time to use it. 
    -snacks 
    -phone/charger

imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Also wanted to add, I know a lot of people that have bought DVD's to watch, brought computers or iPads to watch them on, etc. More often than not, they didn't end up using them and they had to cart them in, and cart them out. When I went on the hospital tour, I asked if they provided cable or anything on the TV, just so I would know if I wanted to bring anything different. Not only did they have a DVD player and cable, they also had a little feature where you could go in and pick from TONS of different movies. They even had movies that weren't out on DVD or anything yet. Which means that we ended up leaving any entertainment items (except our phones) home. Well, as previously stated, we did have MH's laptop, but he worked in sales and if he didn't sell, he didn't get paid, so he had to have it to work during the down time. But we didn't bring any DVD's, iPads, mini DVD players, etc. So check with your hospital when you do the tour, and find out what is provided on the TV.

And, pretty much assume that you are going to walk out with A LOT more than you walked in with. The baby is obvious, but a lot of other things kind of add up along the way while you are there. The last thing that you want to do, is be like me when I overpacked the first time, and then people came to visit and brought gifts, flowers in vases, we had folders of paperwork from the hospital, etc....and then I had to drag it all out of there. When you do leave, most hospitals will provide you with a cart that you can kind of pile everything on if you want to take one trip. MH was smart and didn't want to spend time trying to figure out where to put things in the car while I was trying to get in (after a c-section) and trying to get DD situated in the car, etc. So each time he went out of the room to get some fresh air, or run home to shower, etc. he would grab some stuff from the room and either bring it to the car, or bring it home (if he was stopping there). So by the time DD and I were actually discharged, we just had her diaper bag, her (in the carseat), and me that needed to leave the room and get in the car, and go. 
    Also wanted to add, I know a lot of people that have bought DVD's to watch, brought computers or iPads to watch them on, etc. More often than not, they didn't end up using them and they had to cart them in, and cart them out. When I went on the hospital tour, I asked if they provided cable or anything on the TV, just so I would know if I wanted to bring anything different. Not only did they have a DVD player and cable, they also had a little feature where you could go in and pick from TONS of different movies. They even had movies that weren't out on DVD or anything yet. Which means that we ended up leaving any entertainment items (except our phones) home. Well, as previously stated, we did have MH's laptop, but he worked in sales and if he didn't sell, he didn't get paid, so he had to have it to work during the down time. But we didn't bring any DVD's, iPads, mini DVD players, etc. So check with your hospital when you do the tour, and find out what is provided on the TV.

And, pretty much assume that you are going to walk out with A LOT more than you walked in with. The baby is obvious, but a lot of other things kind of add up along the way while you are there. The last thing that you want to do, is be like me when I overpacked the first time, and then people came to visit and brought gifts, flowers in vases, we had folders of paperwork from the hospital, etc....and then I had to drag it all out of there. When you do leave, most hospitals will provide you with a cart that you can kind of pile everything on if you want to take one trip. MH was smart and didn't want to spend time trying to figure out where to put things in the car while I was trying to get in (after a c-section) and trying to get DD situated in the car, etc. So each time he went out of the room to get some fresh air, or run home to shower, etc. he would grab some stuff from the room and either bring it to the car, or bring it home (if he was stopping there). So by the time DD and I were actually discharged, we just had her diaper bag, her (in the carseat), and me that needed to leave the room and get in the car, and go. 
    Yes, we packed all kinds of junk we didn't touch: DVDs, playing cards, books, etc. I did not realize all of our energy would go into taking care of baby, trying to sleep, and when we finally had a calm moment, entertaining visitors that came by.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In addition to a lot of mentioned above I also packed a very small (pocket size) speaker. I found it so soothing to play soundscapes on pandora while in labor. Also a handful of quarters for vending machines, DH may get the munchies after cafeteria hours. 
  • Options
    Great suggestions from STMs!  I agree...I used almost none of what I packed for baby, and not remotely close to as many things as all the lists suggest.  I did make two "unnecessary" preparations that I loved. I bought myself comfortable, loose, printed pajamas to wear at the hospital and refused to let myself wear them before the hospital, and I bought a cute new hanging toiletry bag (you can find them at good prices at stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls) that I filled with all new travel sized toiletries.  I really enjoyed having a couple of new things that were special, and I was able to have all my toiletries packed far in advance since I wasn't using any of them before I was in the hospital.  I think I packed he rest of the stuff after I was in labor at the house, getting ready for the hospital. 
  • Options
    I had two smaller bags. One had everything I thought I might need for labor: camera, aromatherapy, clear liquids, snacks for DH etc. The other bag had our going home outfits, nurses gifts, A&A blankets, boppy, toiletries. We only brought the labor bag right away and then DH switched it for the hospital stay bag. 

The hospital supplied most of what we needed while there (check with your hospital obviously). They had birthing balls so I didn't bother to bring our exercise ball, which would have been a pain lol. One of my favorite parts of the hospital actually was using their gowns and nursing robes. If you leak or whatever you just throw them in the biohazard container and get a new one.

This time I will also be making "Big Sister Bags" with gifts for my older two.

Ah thinking about this has made it seem so real!!  
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• Options
    For those that did nurse thank you gifts, how many did you do? 
  • Options
    @mckcak23when patients buy gifts for nurses where I work (not maternity) the best ones are food related. Edible arrangements, boxes of fruit or candy, local muffin or donut shops...  Nurses aren't allowed to accept personal gifts over a certain value so group gifts are the way to go (follow local advice if that's different). 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    @mckcak23 We did a box of chocolate that they could share. I had 2 L&D nurses because one was training the other, otherwise I would have only had one.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    We are lucky that we live about 10 minutes from our hospital so DH will run back and forth to get things we forgot; at least he did last time. I didn't bring much with me but here are the things I did use:

- Pillow 
    - Phone Charger
    - Laptop and charger
    - Camera and charger
    - Glasses and contact solution/case
    - Comfortable pants and tees (I felt so much better once I was in my own clothes) 
    - Nursing bras and tanks
    - Toothbrush
    - Going home outfit for LO

I also brought the boppy but I didn't use it until I got home; the pillows at the hospital worked fine. I do agree with PP that the hospital towels were really scratchy but I only showered once at the hospital so it wasn't a big deal. They also supplied robes and socks and I liked using them; I didn't want to get mine messy at all. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    This thread is starting to make me feel nervous and I'm still months out yet lol
  • Options
    MrsRo731MrsRo731 member
    edited February 2016
    @jlgriff11 - Don't worry; there really isn't much you need :smile: You can always have someone stop at your house if you forget something.
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    Piggy-backing off of @mckcak23 's question - are gifts for nurses common/expected? I didn't even think about this with DS and hope I didn't look like a jerk for not giving them anything!
  • Options
    @soberkfell I don't think most people do it, but they were very appreciative of it and were awesome for us. We also gave it to them right away with our birth plan and thanked them for being there to support us. ;-)
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    No nurse would EVER tell you that they expect a gift from their patients. In fact they don't expect it at all which is why it's so nice when patients bring in things! I am going to do it for mine because I am an RN and workforce comradery or something like that ;) 
  • Options
    soberkfellsoberkfell member
    edited February 2016
    @HMcDade1 I didn't mean that a nurse would be expecting it, but was wondering if it's an expectation in society/etiquette. I'll definitely consider doing it this time around!
  • Options
    @PugsandKisses and @HMcDade1 Noted! Maybe we'll call in an order for some pizzas while we're there in July!
  • Options
    @HMcDade1 I didn't mean that a nurse would be expecting it, but was wondering if it's an expectation in society/etiquette. I'll definitely consider doing it this time around!
    Sorry! Haha I really thought you meant does the staff expect it! But yes - I second @PugsandKisses ... Nurses love food. 
  • Options
    Definitely not common or expected. I am a medical/surgical nurse in a hospital and I would say maybe one patient in twenty buys gifts for the unit. And honestly, a heartfelt thank you or card is INFINITELY more appreciated than any gift (food or otherwise). One of my favorite things is having my name mentioned in a card or on a patient satisfaction survey. 
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    sboston06 said:
    Definitely not common or expected. I am a medical/surgical nurse in a hospital and I would say maybe one patient in twenty buys gifts for the unit. And honestly, a heartfelt thank you or card is INFINITELY more appreciated than any gift (food or otherwise). One of my favorite things is having my name mentioned in a card or on a patient satisfaction survey. 
    Do they really see the patient satisfaction surveys?! I always wondered that, because when I get really good care, I always try and remember the person's name and make sure to fill one of those suckers out. But I always wondered if the person mentioned, would even see it....or if the head staff will say "Oh well Christina was mentioned as being extremely patient and a ray of sunshine for this patient......so she just saved herself from getting fired for the month...."
    Do they really see the patient satisfaction surveys?! I always wondered that, because when I get really good care, I always try and remember the person's name and make sure to fill one of those suckers out. But I always wondered if the person mentioned, would even see it....or if the head staff will say "Oh well Christina was mentioned as being extremely patient and a ray of sunshine for this patient......so she just saved herself from getting fired for the month...."
    Haha if someone fills out our cards they go to our boss and then come back to us. I'm not sure how it works at other places- but yes we hear about them lol. 
  • Options
    sboston06 said:
    Sometimes my boss doesn't post it for a month or two. I don't know how often she gets them, but she will usually highlight all the people who got mentioned in a particular survey. The comments are all grouped together so "in general" you can't tell who made the comment, but if the person mentions something specific sometimes we can figure it out. If anyone gets a negative thing in a survey, I imagine they'd get spoken to in private (never happened to me luckily), and their names are blacked out so they are not publicly humiliated.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    Just thought of this looking through my closet. If you plan to BF and want to wear dresses, you want them to be low cut and stretchy or they will not be very practical. Just thought some FTM may not have thought of this when wondering what to wear home. I did not wear dresses at all for a year after my daughter was born unless it was a date night and we had a sitter.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @whataboutscience - great advice! With DD I wore a dress that I thought would work with BF for Easter. At church I put my cover on to nurse (in the viewing room so separate from the main area but still other people in there) but I couldn't get my boob out! It was a little awkward and DH had to unzip my dress a bit for me to nurse. DD was crying. It was embarrassing and I didn't wear that dress again for a while! 
  • Options
    WVUPetuniaWVUPetunia member
    edited February 2016
    I had to have my parents bring me saline nasal spray because the hospital was sooooo dry, and after all of the breathing, my nose just felt like it was dying. 

I packed at 28 weeks because I had PTL.  Fortunately, didn't need it until 38.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    Looks like prett much everything is listed but one more I didn't see. A baby hair brush! Sounds stupid but their hair, if they have any, is sort of pasted down and crimped looking. A lot of hospitals do pics in the room so it's nice to be able to straighten it out a bit!
  • Options
    Here's what I packed in my bag! No seriously though, bring good snacks. I had a scheduled C/S so I had to show up fasting in the morning and they didn't actually do the surgery until almost 4 PM. Once it was over I was STARVING and the nurses didn't want to give me any food because they were afraid I would throw up. By the time I was finally allowed to eat I really wished I had something more delicious than hospital food (other than a gigantic chocolate bar). If it hadn't been so late I would totally have sent someone out to get me a burrito. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Trader Joe's chocolate is legit!