Babies: 0 - 3 Months

In laws crossed the line

so today I took my 5 week old to visit the in laws without my husband. She has been extremely fussy lately and only wants to nurse. I told them this up front. However , my father in law took her during one of her fits and went into his bedroom and SHUT THE DOOR! The first time he came back out soon after but then he did it again! The second time I went in and got her. I didn't say anything but I'm wondering how I should deal with this with my husband. Would you be upset too? 

Re: In laws crossed the line

• What is your relationship with them like before? I'm sure FIL was trying to be helpful by taking baby to a quiet room to settle down. Did you say anything to him? If you have a good relationship with them I would let it go just be more firm next time you feel he's overstepping. Like maybe just say she needs to nurse for comfort and you take her in another room instead.  If you have problems with them already you should talk to your husband and have him handle it.
  • My general rule is I deal with parents, and DH deals with his family. I agree what he did was not ok, whether or not he was trying to be helpful. I would have your husband talk to them. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Was there dialogue while this was going on? I don't really understand why he would take her and I would have probably asked for my baby back.
  • Well she's probably going through a growth spurt and is actually hungry? If someone other than my husband carried our baby off into another room and closed the door without saying anything or asking, I'd be upset too?
  • I feel like there is more to this story. It could be a line crossing issue, or maybe he thought he was helping by taking baby to calm down. Either way, their needs to be a mature dialogue on both parts.

• g8trkim said:
    I feel like there is more to this story. It could be a line crossing issue, or maybe he thought he was helping by taking baby to calm down. Either way, their needs to be a mature dialogue on both parts.

This.
  • What's your relationship like with him? Depending on the relationship this is either weird OR he was just trying to be helpful and nice.