May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday 2/11/16

Let's get feisty (in a welcoming tone)!

Re: UO Thursday 2/11/16

• vinerie said:
    I've got an UO and a short rant. 

UO: I don't get needing to listen to music everywhere you go. All I see outside is people walking with headphones on. Be with your own thoughts, people! 

Rant: At least if you're wearing headphones, it doesn't bother me. But I'm seeing a new trend -- especially among moms pushing strollers -- of playing music OUT LOUD while walking in public spaces. No, when I'm at the park or walking on the greenway I don't want to hear your crappy music. It's interfering with my outdoor zen!! 
    To go off of this... I hate when people wear headphones at work. A lot of our assistants do. Not only does it look amazingly unprofessional, but often we have to go right up to them to get their attention as they don't hear us calling them.

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • vinerie said:

UO: I don't get needing to listen to music everywhere you go. All I see outside is people walking with headphones on. Be with your own thoughts, people! 

Rant: At least if you're wearing headphones, it doesn't bother me. But I'm seeing a new trend -- especially among moms pushing strollers -- of playing music OUT LOUD while walking in public spaces. No, when I'm at the park or walking on the greenway I don't want to hear your crappy music. It's interfering with my outdoor zen!! 
    The worst is when someone is using headphones but the volume is turned up so loud that everyone else can hear it buzzing like Horton and the Who.
  • vinerie said:

The worst is when someone is using headphones but the volume is turned up so loud that everyone else can hear it buzzing like Horton and the Who.
    Yep! Now, all this being said, for you New Yorkers, public transpo is a wrinkle in my equation. What is the alternative to listening to music? Staring at the floor? Or, worse...staring at other people?! UM...No. So I get it in that instance (if you don't have something to read). But then you're dealing with people who have their music turned up too loud which is also extremely annoying. 
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• I can't stand the coffin nails trend or the long pointy nails. It grosses me out and it seems so impractical to me. How do you do anything with those claws?? 
    Me either!! They both look super trashy. I'm also totally over the accent nail trend and cannot believe how long it has lasted.
  • vinerie said:

Agree 100% on both!

I work in a library and you can hear ear bud noise from a pretty far distance. It is extra irritating that mostly what you hear is percussion so basically you are just listening to a part of a song with awful sound quality. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I don't like owning DVDs. I say this as we are clearing out the third bedroom for baby. We have 2 or 3 boxes of DVDs, mostly my husband's, and he doesn't want to get rid of any. Like Superbad is such a great movie that we need to have it on hand at all times. I just don't get it since we have Netflix, prime, and redbox available. Sure, I guess the internet could go out, but I'm ok with that.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I don't like owning DVDs. I say this as we are clearing out the third bedroom for baby. We have 2 or 3 boxes of DVDs, mostly my husband's, and he doesn't want to get rid of any. Like Superbad is such a great movie that we need to have it on hand at all times. I just don't get it since we have Netflix, prime, and redbox available. Sure, I guess the internet could go out, but I'm ok with that.
    I just recycled a large Rubbermaid tub full of DVD cases. They take up so much space! I had all my DVDs in a CD travel binder from back during my college/tiny apartment days, so now that we own a house and I had to take all my stuff that was in storage, I decided all the DVDs boxes were a waste of space. The binder is nice because you still have the DVDs on hand but it takes up so little space!
  • vinerie said:

This.  I don't need to listen to your music, and for crying out loud please turn it down so I don't get stuck paying for your Medicare/Medicaid funded hearing aids in 20 years.
  • wsgjmw1 said:
    This may come off as bitchy and ungrateful but oh well. I made a registry for my shower for a reason, because the LO needs STUFF. My registry is very practical. What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to buy/crochet/knit a blanket. My shower is 3 weeks away and I already have received 5 blankets. My MIL told me the other day she has a few friends giving me blankets, AYE! This baby is being born in May in Southern California, from May-Oct its F-ING HOT. We have to run our air pretty much 5 months straight, this kid does NOT need anymore blankets. Babies are not even allowed to have blankets in their crib, so we will have a giant stack of blankets in the closet collecting dust.
    I also do not understand why people LOVE to monogram EVERYTHING, or put the babies name on EVERYTHING. I am not a fan. I didn't enjoy it with wedding gifts and I do not enjoy it for my LO.
    SORRY NOT SORRY!
    My mom crochets baby blankets and donates them to Catholic Charities. I am sure a charity would be happy to have whatever you dont need. Agreed, there comes a point where its like "enough with the blankets already!!"

cat fail animated GIF

• Jparke2 said:
    I don't like owning DVDs. I say this as we are clearing out the third bedroom for baby. We have 2 or 3 boxes of DVDs, mostly my husband's, and he doesn't want to get rid of any. Like Superbad is such a great movie that we need to have it on hand at all times. I just don't get it since we have Netflix, prime, and redbox available. Sure, I guess the internet could go out, but I'm ok with that.
    I just recycled a large Rubbermaid tub full of DVD cases. They take up so much space! I had all my DVDs in a CD travel binder from back during my college/tiny apartment days, so now that we own a house and I had to take all my stuff that was in storage, I decided all the DVDs boxes were a waste of space. The binder is nice because you still have the DVDs on hand but it takes up so little space!
    DH has 100's of burned DVD's from his tours in Iraq, and I don't think he has watched any since he got out of service....this may be a good spring cleaning project!
    wsgjmw1 said:
    This may come off as bitchy and ungrateful but oh well. I made a registry for my shower for a reason, because the LO needs STUFF. My registry is very practical. What I don't understand is why everyone feels the need to buy/crochet/knit a blanket. My shower is 3 weeks away and I already have received 5 blankets. My MIL told me the other day she has a few friends giving me blankets, AYE! This baby is being born in May in Southern California, from May-Oct its F-ING HOT. We have to run our air pretty much 5 months straight, this kid does NOT need anymore blankets. Babies are not even allowed to have blankets in their crib, so we will have a giant stack of blankets in the closet collecting dust.
    I also do not understand why people LOVE to monogram EVERYTHING, or put the babies name on EVERYTHING. I am not a fan. I didn't enjoy it with wedding gifts and I do not enjoy it for my LO.
    SORRY NOT SORRY!
    I've gotten 2 blankets so far, one from my grandmother who had purchased it for my cousin but forgot to give it to her a few years back and one that is themed to the nursery.  I think it's the Pinterest trend (at least one of them) to DIY stuff and since yarn is inexpensive maybe people are trying to be more creative?  Are the gift givers from California as well?

• My UO is I hate thank you cards. I grew up in a culture where you thanked the person via phone call or in person. I think thank you cards are a waste of time for me to receive and for the person to sit down and write something when they can just call me up or send me a text or say it in person.

Cards are something that I will probably throw away eventually, if not, right away. I don't give a gift to expect a thank you card.

I think it's a waste of money for the people that customize their thank you cards too. Save that for your baby!!

Unfortunately, I will be sitting down and writing cards because it is "social etiquette" but I won't enjoy doing so.
  • I can't stand it when people don't follow common road courtesy rules (drive in the right lane, pass on the left/merge over to let faster drivers pass, etc).  I'm not a very aggressive driver anymore, but nothing makes me more ragey than two slow moving cars cruising side by side.

I've concluded that this is an UO because I just don't see it happen in daily driving.
    OMG SO MUCH THIS!!!!

The worst thing is that you know that at one point one of them was going faster than the other (because they had to in order to get aligned like that) but then they saw there was a car next to them and just decided to chillax for a while.

"Keep right except to pass" is actually the law in most states. And "improper lane usage" is a 4-point penalty in others. So why does no one follow it? Esp. because a slow-moving lefty means that other people are putting themselves at risk of an improper lane usage ticket for passing on the right.

• All week I'll have thoughts and think to myself... "Self you need save that for the UO thread on Thursday." Thursday comes and I can't remember any of it. 
    Damn you pregnancy brain. 
    LOL this happens to me too.
  • All week I'll have thoughts and think to myself... "Self you need save that for the UO thread on Thursday." Thursday comes and I can't remember any of it. 
    Damn you pregnancy brain. 

I was just thinking this too!  All weekend I think "This will be great for UO Thursday!".  Then Thursday morning comes and my mind goes blank...
  • I don't really enjoy going out to the movies. I would much rather cuddle up on my couch at home and watch one. It is cheaper and I don't have to put pants on.
    This is going to sound so crazy...but after all those movie theater shootings, I can't go to a movie without glancing sort of suspiciously at everyone that comes in. It's on my mind way too much when I'm trying to enjoy a movie.
  • I love "taboo" topics like politics and religion. I tend to be an analytical thinker who loves research. I definitely understand emotional ties to both subjects but, I love understanding them from an academic POV. 

I also find it fascinating how defensive and angry other people get when these topics come up. Especially those that get anxious about the conversation happening and they aren't even part of it. I know there are people who have anxiety about others discussing Sanders and Trump above and they have an emotional response (often anger) to the conversation taking place. It's like they are angry others AREN'T uncomfortable talking about and sharing their opinions. 
    This is something MH and I have talked about. He is a limo driver and sometimes his customers want to chat. He has been trained to not speak about politics, religion, or sports teams under any circumstances. He had one guy get in and start going on and on about how great Trump is and I guess MH breathed too loudly because the guy got all fired up, shouting how Trump is what America needs. If he wasn't on the clock, I know MH would have been able to very rationally and diplomatically state his own opinions. We are so afraid of confrontation and debate that we create policies like this that are awkward for everyone. When he got out, the guy tipped MH and said "You know, I feel like you and I could've had a really great debate" and MH said that it was against company policy. The guy nodded, but MH was kinda sad because he is so knowledgeable about politics and is a great conversationalist.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • yogahh said:
    I also don't understand why anyone would vote for Sanders. He is the Democratic answer to the "old crabby white guy" that the GOP is apparently made up of. 
    I think there are many more aspects to the candidates than general age, first impression, race, or gender on both sides. 
  • kami09 said:
    I don't really enjoy going out to the movies. I would much rather cuddle up on my couch at home and watch one. It is cheaper and I don't have to put pants on.
    This is going to sound so crazy...but after all those movie theater shootings, I can't go to a movie without glancing sort of suspiciously at everyone that comes in. It's on my mind way too much when I'm trying to enjoy a movie.
    Yep. Some of DH's and my favorite "date nights" have been at home and on the couch with a movie, bottle of wine, and a pizza. Sometimes I'll still dress up for the hell of it though.
  • AliciaD39 said:
    yogahh said:
    I also don't understand why anyone would vote for Sanders. He is the Democratic answer to the "old crabby white guy" that the GOP is apparently made up of. 
    I think there are many more aspects to the candidates than general age, first impression, race, or gender on both sides. 
    I agree. I am just saying how the left complains that the GOP is just old and crusty white guys. But somehow, the old and crusty white guy on the dem ticket is killing it.

cat fail animated GIF

• I love "taboo" topics like politics and religion. I tend to be an analytical thinker who loves research. I definitely understand emotional ties to both subjects but, I love understanding them from an academic POV. 

I also find it fascinating how defensive and angry other people get when these topics come up. Especially those that get anxious about the conversation happening and they aren't even part of it. I know there are people who have anxiety about others discussing Sanders and Trump above and they have an emotional response (often anger) to the conversation taking place. It's like they are angry others AREN'T uncomfortable talking about and sharing their opinions. 
    This is something MH and I have talked about. He is a limo driver and sometimes his customers want to chat. He has been trained to not speak about politics, religion, or sports teams under any circumstances. He had one guy get in and start going on and on about how great Trump is and I guess MH breathed too loudly because the guy got all fired up, shouting how Trump is what America needs. If he wasn't on the clock, I know MH would have been able to very rationally and diplomatically state his own opinions. We are so afraid of confrontation and debate that we create policies like this that are awkward for everyone. When he got out, the guy tipped MH and said "You know, I feel like you and I could've had a really great debate" and MH said that it was against company policy. The guy nodded, but MH was kinda sad because he is so knowledgeable about politics and is a great conversationalist.
    Oh! That's always so hard. I especially hate it when I hear someone say something that's just FLAT OUT WRONG like... "The president can override the constitution at any time if he/she decides a change should be made". I really want to explain things to people from an education US Government 101 POV but I know it will just end in their feelings getting hurt. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • laurenmdrn16laurenmdrn16 member
    edited February 2016
    @Charla1224  I hear ya. I HATE when people say that something a politician said was "revolutionary" when in actuality it is just blatantly wrong. I think you should understand what the job actually is before you apply for it. Some of the stuff that has been said makes me think that the candidate doesn't actually know what the President of the United States does. That is scary. That would be like me applying to be a helicopter pilot because I have driven a car. Sure I get the basics of operating a vehicle, but the skills are not transferable. Just because you can run a business does not mean you can run a country.

And @bookelf221 I am so over the "liberal news" vs the "right wing news". What happened to just the news? Why can't there be some resource that is completely unbiased so we as a people can be properly educated about one of the biggest decisions we can make as a country? When schools have blatant biases, people are rightfully up in arms! There are public schools that refuse to teach parts of American history because it doesn't fit their own agenda and you know what happens? They get sued and taken to court and lambasted by the public. Shouldn't there be accountability for educating voters as well?

ETA: Words are hard. I really am intelligent, I promise!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • yogahh said:
    AliciaD39 said:
    yogahh said:
    I agree. I am just saying how the left complains that the GOP is just old and crusty white guys. But somehow, the old and crusty white guy on the dem ticket is killing it.
    I think that is the problem I have with political parties in general. I understand the point is alignment on some base issues, but overall, it just becomes an 'us vs. them' mentality on the same issues every election, when I feel like some of those issues have been resolved, and it is time to focus on current problems. It's like a sibling who brings up a fight ya'll had when you were kids - time for both to move on.

The way it is going so far, we may have entirely different candidates coming into the picture running as independents anyways.
  • AliciaD39 said:
    yogahh said:
    AliciaD39 said:
    yogahh said:
    I think that is the problem I have with political parties in general. I understand the point is alignment on some base issues, but overall, it just becomes an 'us vs. them' mentality on the same issues every election, when I feel like some of those issues have been resolved, and it is time to focus on current problems. It's like a sibling who brings up a fight ya'll had when you were kids - time for both to move on.

The way it is going so far, we may have entirely different candidates coming into the picture running as independents anyways.
    I would like a Bloomie run. As a NY'er, he might have driven me nuts with her "nanny state" values, but atleast he is not Trump or Bernie!

cat fail animated GIF

• yogahh said:
    Ha! He always reminds me of a scary grandpa that smells weird and is always trying to kiss your cheek. 
  • yogahh said:

I would like a Bloomie run. As a NY'er, he might have driven me nuts with her "nanny state" values, but atleast he is not Trump or Bernie!
    I'm definitely interested in him, as I have been told he is financially conservative, but socially flexible. I need to look into him more, but I think it will happen if Bernie wins SC or Nevada. Then it may be a billionaire vs. billionaire runoff.
  • yogahh said:
    wsgjmw1 said:
    SORRY NOT SORRY!
    My mom crochets baby blankets and donates them to Catholic Charities. I am sure a charity would be happy to have whatever you dont need. Agreed, there comes a point where its like "enough with the blankets already!!"
    Yes, good idea. I will donate extra baby blankets! DH and I try to donate at least once a month to the Salvation Army and pet shelters with any extra stuff we have that we don't use. 
  • AliciaD39 said:
     My tax bracket would also go up to 30%, but it is just 2.5% more than I pay now. The one I looked at was to cover healthcare, which I figured would make my $650+ healthcare month a cost go away and it wouldn't be too much of a burden. 

I also know that someone that extreme wouldn't get all his ideals passed so I think it would be a happy medium when they would agree.

You're okay that your taxes will go up in hopes your healthcare costs would go away, but you're also banking on the fact his ideals probably won't get passed and you'll get a watered down version of a campaign promise? Which most likely means, you'll still be paying for your healthcare. What's the point then? Since when has Congress ever agreed on a happy medium?

Also, 2.5% is a lot. Look at it this way using a combined income of $140K as an example.

Bush Tax Cuts (Jeb's alignment) - 25% = $35,000
    Obama Tax Bracket (Hillary's alignment) - 28% = $39,200
    Bernie - 30% = $42,000

Difference from 25% to 30% equates to $583 per month.
    From 28% to 30% = $233 per month.

So no, 2.5% doesn't sound like a lot, but are you really willing to give up another $233 per month from your household income on the chance that Congress will agree on a happy medium? Maybe because I've worked in politics I've become more jaded, but I'd rather just keep my $233.

Plus if you've read the analysis on Bernie's tax plan and how cutting healthcare costs for employers while added other taxes in, you'd see that it may not be all sunshine and roses. Employers won't be saving money from cutting healthcare if they then have to pay other taxes. So where does that money come from? It's like a rabbit hole.