Breastfeeding

Best breastfeeding books?

I'm currently pregnant with my 2nd baby. I tried breastfeeding with my first and ended up giving up and pumping until I dried up. With my 1st I couldn't get him to latch without a nipper shield and the whole time it hurt and he would cry. I really want to be successful with this baby. Anyone have book recommendations? Or just advice in general? I didn't read anything with my 1st thinking it would come natural lol. So I want to be sure I'm as prepared as I can be. 

Re: Best breastfeeding books?

• Your hospital should have a bf'ing class. Your DH should attend with you, as you'll need his support with bf'ing. Even if you attended one before, it won't hurt to have a refresher. A lot of hospitals also have bf'ing support groups. Or you could find a local LLL group - you can even start attending before baby is born. 

See if your hospital has a lactation consultant on staff (most do), and make sure you request she visits after you deliver. 

The site Kellymom.com is very informative, and a great resource when you run into problems. 
    https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/newborn-nursing/

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/bfhelp-mother/

i believe part of The Affordable Healthcare Act covers the cost of seeing a lactation consultant. So be sure to seek help from one if you have trouble at anytime during your bf'ing journey. 

Bf'ing may be natural, but it does often take some time for Mom and Baby to get the hang of things. And there are a lot of issues that can come up - like tongue tie, food sensitivities, clogged ducts, mastitis, etc. So, again, having an LC or an LLL leader you can call is really helpful. I wish you the best!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • JulieJuicyJulieJuicy member
    edited February 2016
    *Removed for TOU violation*
  • Loading the player...
  • I wholeheartedly second the La Leche Leahue suggestion. 

I I don't have any book advice except that "Breastfeeding for Dummies" was so basic and not so impressive with its information. 
  • "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"
  • Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to breastfeeding