September 2016 Moms

Home Doppler to find baby's heartbeat

danielladxxxdanielladxxx member
edited February 2016 in September 2016 Moms
Hi!

Have any of you ladies used a Home Doppler to find baby's heartbeat and if so what was the earliest you could find this?

x

Re: Home Doppler to find baby's heartbeat

• Yep I bought a Hi Bebe doppler with my last pregnancy when I lost a twin. I was able to find and detect a heartbeat at around 12 weeks. You get what you pay for and Hi Bebe is the kind my Dr. uses. 
  • I have the sonoline B and found it the first time I tried at 9w6d. I do not know if I could have found it earlier cause that is the day it came in the mail. It took about 20 min and 3 YouTube videos later to find it as well. 
    BFP #1  6/26/15, D&C 8/14/15
    BFP #2  12/22/15, EDD 9/1/16  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I am only 8w3d so I think it would a little bit too early at the moment - May give it another couple of weeks and I will try.. EEK x
  • Down the road, there is an app you can install on your phone called "My Baby's Beat". It was about 20 weeks when I started to use it. It's just nice to have the reassurance :)
  • I bought the AngelSounds doppler and found the heartbeat after about 15 minutes at 9w6d! We kept finding mine at first but after watching a video and reading reviews we realized how much faster the baby's heartbeat is so we knew as soon as we heard it!
  • I had one last time. I hope to get one this time. My dog ate the last one so had to throw it out. I was so upset. 
  • I have the Sonoline B (have had it since 2010 with my first baby).  I was able to find the heartbeat earlier this week at 9w2d.
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jellybiehnjellybiehn member
    edited February 2016

Lol...I didn't even know this was a thing! Sounds like it could really give some piece of mind throughout the pregnancy. Maybe I will do a little internet browsing......

Edited because of words.

• I have to ask, I was considering getting one of those. But I heard it is harder to find a heartbeat if you are overweight? I am 170 pounds and 5'4' but it seems all my weight is in my belly. So I am scared I would not find it because of that.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• @Alyeena I am heavier than you and had no trouble although couldn't use it as soon as some others on here with less fluff
  • I ordered the Sonoline B and it should be here next week! DH swears it is going to cause unnecessary anxiety if I can't find the HB right away, but I can't wait for it to arrive. I'll update once I try it. 
  • I used the sonoline B during my last pregnancy and it helped relieve a lot of anxiety and worry. I just ordered some new Doppler gel to use again this time around.  I'm 8 weeks now and haven't tried it yet but will soon, heartbeat was clear on the Doppler for me by 10 weeks the last time.
  • cmiska said:
    I ordered the Sonoline B and it should be here next week! DH swears it is going to cause unnecessary anxiety if I can't find the HB right away, but I can't wait for it to arrive. I'll update once I try it. 
    I ordered one also! Coming in next week. I get so anxious between appointments that I feel it would help put my mind at ease. Just be prepared for it to take a while to find the heartbeat.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @Alyeena with the sonoline B there are two different probes  you can chose from a 3 or a 2. I ordered the 3 and this was described as 'for most pregnancies...this is the probe most OBs use'. The 2 probe said it was for women who are overweight. You can read more about it and I think you can order both probes if you wanted to. I do not think you should have trouble either way once you get past 10 weeks. 
    BFP #1  6/26/15, D&C 8/14/15
    BFP #2  12/22/15, EDD 9/1/16  :)
  • This makes me excited/hopeful that maybe I could find it before my first appt at 9w6d. I might try starting the week before. 

• I also have the Sonoline B doppler.  I used it in 2013 when pregnant with DD and first found her heart beat around 11ish weeks.  This time, I found it at 9w4d.  Definitely be prepared for it to take a couple of tries before you're successful.  YouTube videos can help a lot, as can having a fuller bladder.  Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I tried last night (almost 10 weeks) pretty much knowing it wasn't going to work. I have a less sensitive one. Last time I think I found it around 12 weeks.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • Wow, I have to eat my words. I just tried it again and it took me 15 minutes, but I got it! 169 bpm. :)

• I'm 7 weeks and 5 days and hoping I can hear it soon!
  • Anyone try one of the heartbeat apps?
    Me:35, DH 37  ~ Married July 2014
    ttc July 2015 ~ bfp Nov 2015 (cp)
    bfp Dec 2015 ~ (tfmr 17wk, March 2016, genetic disease)
    ttcal May 2016
  • With my pregnancy in 2013, I borrowed my friend's sonoline b and was able to find baby consistently from 8 weeks
  • There are apps? I'm skeptical. How exactly does that work? Because dopplers send out ultrasound waves, and as far as I know a phone can't do that?

• I don't know how it works but I just tried to download a free one and it didnt work.
    Me:35, DH 37  ~ Married July 2014
    ttc July 2015 ~ bfp Nov 2015 (cp)
    bfp Dec 2015 ~ (tfmr 17wk, March 2016, genetic disease)
    ttcal May 2016
  • It helped me so much with DD to be able to listen to her heartbeat whenever I felt like it. I think I was about 11 weeks when I first did it. I have the sonoline  B
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • I also have the Sonoline B (bought it in 2011) - with my first kiddo I found the heartbeat at 11 weeks, and with my second it was nine weeks. Oh, and I'm plus size - you just have to push through the chub, haha
    BFP #1: EDD 8/29/11, MMC 1/14/11. BFP #2: Damien Isaac born 12/16/11. BFP #3: Rowen Cole born 7/28/14. BFP #4: EDD 9/16/16.

Anniversary

baby blog

• I bought my Sonoline B after my 1st loss. Got my daughter's heartbeat at 8weeks3days....this one right at 8 weeks! Doc couldnt believe until i showed her!
  • So my doppler has arrived - can you push too hard when using it? Bit nervous x
  • @KarenBeth714 (above) I recommended the "my baby's beat"  app. It's way too early to use it, though. Mine didn't work effectively until late in the 2nd tri. It works similar to a stethoscope amplifying the sound.
  • Found babys heartbeat last night! 172 beats per minute - is that too high?
  • Baby's was 171 at our first appointment. I think it's totally normal. You can probably find average heart rates at various gestational ages online somewhere.

congrats on finding it! That must have been fun! 
  • @danielladxxx at our ultrasound at 8 weeks we were told 120-180bpm is considered normal. I didn't scroll through to see how far along you are.  Also, the home doppler I've been reading sometimes has rates when the wand is in mid-air, and when I find baby's heartbeat it doesn't give me a number (I've been timing it for 10 seconds and multiplying out).  My point being - enjoy finding the heartbeat but don't stress over the numbers it gives you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @AnnaS930 I am 9 weeks today - It is the best feeling ever hearing your babys heartbeat. I havent been able to find it again but I guess that is because he/she is so tiny! 12 week scan on 3rd March, cannot wait to see them!
  • I'm 10w6d and was able to find the baby's heartbeat after about 15 minutes and two YouTube videos. One video said most people have better luck towards the right and that was true for me. I found my heart beat first making it easy to distinquish between mine and baby's. I've been fighting a cold for a few days so this was exactly the pick me up I needed! 
  • So exciting reading everyone's experiences! I have an appointment tomorrow but have been very anxious in the past week so I'm more than ready to get my doppler already! It won't arrive until later this week but I'll try right away :)
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
  • You all have seriously convinced me!! Will pick up the Sonoline B from Amazon as we can't wait another two weeks until our 12wk u/s to see/hear the little peanut. Plus, would be fab to send the heartbeat to our parents.
  • Don't be disheartened if it takes you a good while to find it - I tried for one hour got up moved around had a bath, come back and found it straight away. Then I didn't again for a few days - Found it again this morning. Remember that your jellybean is so small, so moves around all the time. @frogdog06 We done the same sent it to both of our parents, was very emotional after 1 missed miscarriage and 1 ectopic, it is so amazing to hear! x
  • Aaaaaahhhh! I just got my doppler in and tried it as soon as the UPS man left! Lol

Was able to hear the heartbeat within two minutes! 180bpm. I'm so relieved that I have the doppler here for when I get anxious. If anyone will start trying to use theirs, I just stayed low in my abdomen, where the hairline is as baby is still really tiny and hanging out there. I went from one side of my stomach to the other, starting about 4 inches left of the center.
  • *Lurking from July* I have a Sonoline B too and just wanted to say don't worry if you can't hear it before 12 weeks. At my first midwife visit at 10 weeks she couldn't find it. We had a first ultrasound at 11 weeks and baby was fine, just hates the doppler. Since 12 weeks I've been able to find it with no problem, but to this day I have to chase baby around and never get to listen in consistently. Some babies hate dopplers- just try not to worry too much if your baby is one of them.