June 2016 Moms

Obsessed with baby movement?

I'm 21 weeks and if I go for a few hours without feeling baby I freak out completely. Anyone else as paranoid as me? Share in my pain!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Obsessed with baby movement?

• I am 19-6 and barely feel any movement at all yet. It's really nothing to be to worried about
  • I am 19-6 and barely feel any movement at all yet. It's really nothing to be to worried about
    I'm probably a little extra paranoid because I've lost a son at 18 weeks and didn't know it until 20. this pregnancy is going great, but it's got me super paranoid.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I understand that. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I take time every day to lay still and feel for him. I can't wait until they get stronger and I don't have to concentrate as hard to feel them. 
  • So sorry to hear of your loss, and the fear that comes after it is totally understandable.

I am thankful I have a pretty active baby this time around, and definitely notice if it's been a few hours without movement. Have you found a position that makes baby move more? 

Also - there is always the Doppler option for peace of mind. A heart beat should be pretty easy to find and this point. 

Hugs. 
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• My LO is kind of a schedule so I sort of know when I will feel him/her. I try my hardest not to get worried.

That being said, given your history I completely understand your anxiety. I would be freaking out too.

Wishing you the happiest & healthiest of pregnancies! :)

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • edited February 2016
    Lurking from May 16-   Movements usually won't become regular until week 28,   Im 26 weeks and my son still has some more lazy days and some more active days.  My doctor said it's totally normal until the third tri
  • I'm so sorry about your loss! I'm only 19+3 but as ridiculous as this sounds my LO kicks on a schedule (for now). They are starting to get more frequent but I know that every night when I lay down to go to bed (10ish) the baby has a little dance party and this is when H puts his hand there to feel him/her. On Saturday I didn't lay down to go to bed until after 1am and I didn't feel him/her. Logically I knew this was probably because it was much later but I couldn't sleep at all. I didn't feel better until I felt LO Sunday afternoon and again Sunday night when going to bed. Motherhood makes us crazy!!!
  • I'm sorry for your loss :(

I freaked out a little last week. I think I'm super paranoid bc I'm scared that since my baby has Down syndrome if she doesn't move a lot it means her case is really severe.. I have no idea if this is true haha. She would not move at all last week. I felt her maybe once a day and they were light kicks. Ever since yesterday morning she has not calmed down. I have felt the hardest kicks yet and I'm beginning to wonder if the chick is ever going to take a nap. I read that at around this point, they sleep like 14 hours a day which is why they don't tell you to start kick counts until the third tri (28 weeks for high risk).

I wouldn't really start worrying about kicks until the third tri, but if it ever really bothers you, your OB won't mind having you come in for an NST or ultrasound I'm sure!
    April Sig Challenge: Why my kid is crying

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes!! Last week the baby had some lazy days and I couldn't feel any movement and had a bit of a freak out... One day I literally refused to leave the house until I felt baby move (even went a little late to work haha) I drank a cold glass of water and rolled left to right for 15mins until I felt it haha
  • Totally empathize. Like others have said, it's not unusual for movements to be inconsistent right now. Last time, I was an obsessive kick counter in the third tri... If I didn't get exactly the number I was looking for, I'd be chugging cold juice and poking at her until she moved!
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited February 2016
    Thank you everyone! All your comments have given me peace of mind. Whenever I do feel kicks I always think, "YES! BABY IS OKAY!" Man. What a roller coaster!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• I think any loss brings with it some paranoia on the next pregnancy (I should know- I've had a loss before each of my successful pregnancies--- much earlier than yours but still left a mark psychologically).  It's funny because I too worry if he doesn't kick for awhile but then when he's kicking up a storm I wish he'd just calm down.
  • I too am sorry for your loss.

My baby boy is pretty active, I feel him a lot.  But like you guys have said, there will be days where I won't feel him as much and I find myself starting to worry until I feel a little kick.  I asked my OB about it, just because I was being so paranoid and she said he's still so little I won't feel him all the time.  Those words and hearing the strong heartbeat of my little guy made me feel a lot better.  
  • Bumping this because I didn't see it the first time around and just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who gave advice! I'm 23 weeks, FTM and had my first "worried FTM" moment today. Baby is just having a lazy day. 

I called my doula and she said that 23 weeks is a bit too early to start expecting kicks. In the 3rd trimester, (26wks+) we can do kick counts which should be about 10 per hour or so. 

Her advice was to get comfy, relax, and feel what I could. Sure enough, little M was there. Crisis averted and now I'm laughing at myself. :wink: 
  • I'm 23 weeks and feel hardly nothing, anterior placenta though so who knows when I'll actually feel the real thing! 
  • Im so sorry for your loss. I am paranoid like you about movements even though i know its too early for consistent movements. I am expecting twins, am "older" according to statistics (im only 33), and have a lung condition/ had lung surgery less than a year ago so im high risk, so i am just generally worried about the pregnancy. Im glad you posted this so i know im not alone. :) 
  • FTM here and I totally sympathize. My LO tends to move at the same time each day, and I totally panic if I think I haven't felt her. I think that's normal for us at this point so don't beat yourself up too much! You are definitely not alone. :)
  • Bumping this because I didn't see it the first time around and just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who gave advice! I'm 23 weeks, FTM and had my first "worried FTM" moment today. Baby is just having a lazy day. 

I called my doula and she said that 23 weeks is a bit too early to start expecting kicks. In the 3rd trimester, (26wks+) we can do kick counts which should be about 10 per hour or so. 

Her advice was to get comfy, relax, and feel what I could. Sure enough, little M was there. Crisis averted and now I'm laughing at myself. :wink: 
    My LO was having a lazy day yesterday too, then I put my belly buds on and they had a little dance party. I may or may not have totally disturbed their sleeping, but it gave me so much peace of mind :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Im still (not so) patiently waiting for consistent movement and am SO excited about the prospect of my husband feeling the movements as well. 22 weeks tomorrow with an anterior placenta so not feeling anything I would call definitive movement. And even when I think it might be, it is so brief and I cant be sure. Yesterday though, after I drank a diet mountain dew, I definitely felt some tumbling like acrobatics going on inside. Like an odd rolling sensation. I am still not completely convinced that it isnt just bodily functions, but I do find a small piece of mind thinking it is baby moving. I agree, a loss makes these moments even more intensified, especially a missed miscarriage. You just want reassurance that every thing is ok. Happy that we will all be moving in to the time frame when we should feel more consistent movements!!
  • My mom was able to feel baby boy move while I was visiting over the weekend.  It was such a cool moment for her and me.  I am so happy she was able to feel him. :smile: