Baby Showers

Father's Day?

I know this is insanely early to be planning, but my BFF has offered to host me a shower and she wants to hammer down a date in June already. She works on Saturdays, so it has to be a Sunday. We both have other commitments already for June 12th and June 26th. June 19th works for us but is that weird that it's Father's Day? Do you think anyone would not come due to father's day? (both of our dads live out of state so we don't see them that day)

Re: Father's Day?

• I would not go to a shower on Father's day. I would consider it odd to have it on a day like father's day or mother's day but I am sure some people will not mind. If you choose that day be prepared for some guests to decline and when they do don't hold it against them. 

Your dad lives out of state but the guests might have fathers or even grandfathers they wish to spend time with. (or husbands and kids)
  • Yeah it would be a bad idea IMO.
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't go to a shower on Father's Day either. 
    edited February 2016
    Another I wouldn't attend on Fathers Day.  I would be taken back to get an invite for that day and think "what were they thinking"

• Ok thank you so much ladies!

I have never celebrated Father's Day, even though my dad and I are close he was never the "emotional" kind so he found any celebrations of anything pointless (birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, etc). I didn't realize it was such an important day to many others. I will tell my friend we have to go with June 5th even though she thinks that's too early (EDD 8/2). Thanks again!

• I would go.  Clearly I'm in the minority.  But while we do celebrate Fathers' Day, it's not an all day thing and I could easily go to a shower for a couple hours.
  • IMO, having a baby shower on Father's Day is a bad idea. It seems inconsiderate to ask guests to spend a day they would probably otherwise be spending with their fathers, grandfathers, and/or husbands at your shower instead. A lot of people probably wouldn't come for that reason - I know I wouldn't. A June 5th shower with an August 2nd due date isn't too early. I'm having mine somewhat early (I'm due in late May, and I'm having one late this month and another in mid-March) since I have to travel out of state for each, but I don't see anything wrong with having even a local one 8-10 weeks before. 
  • Sorry, but add me to the list of not coming either.
  • I would not attend on Father's Day. Why not the 5th? 
  • Father's day is a bad idea! 
  • ElcaB said:
    I would not attend on Father's Day. Why not the 5th? 

she's a crazy person who thinks that's "too early" and should be 1 month before the baby. But I'm going to tell her that day will definitely be better.
  • jenna8984 said:
    she's a crazy person who thinks that's "too early" and should be 1 month before the baby. But I'm going to tell her that day will definitely be better.
    She's wrong. 6-8 weeks prior is best. You want to feel good and not exhausted at your shower. While most people don't spend all day with Dad on Father's Day, the timing of a shower and when they would celebrate are probably the same. Go with the earlier date.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • ElcaB said:
    I would not attend on Father's Day. Why not the 5th? 
    the 5th is definitely not too early. i would recommend suggesting this to her.
  • I have the exact same due date as you, and I'm either having it on the May long weekend or the first weekend in June. I don't want it during major wedding season when family will need to choose between one event or the other. Also I want to be comfortable and not in a heat wave and would love the extra time to pick up anything that I might be missing or need to set up.