September 2015 Moms

For moms already giving baby rice cereal...

vibarra27vibarra27 member
edited January 2016 in September 2015 Moms
For those mommas already giving baby rice cereal & baby who is sleeping through the night due to the rice, I need help.

I'm switching my boys to formula (I EP) @ 6months & want to start giving them rice cereal @ 5.5 months which is in 2 weeks. 

I was wondering when you are giving baby rice when it comes to bed time. Do you feed your baby the rice & the bottle @ bed time? Or do u give the rice a couple of hours before bed time? 

I feed one of my twins @ 8pm & the other @ 820pm & they go to sleep but i still wake up to feed them @ 1am (scheduled feeding) I want to eleminate that feed, but want to make sure they get full for the night.

I never gave DD rice cereal so Im kinda lost with this...

Advice?

Re: For moms already giving baby rice cereal...

• My pediatrican had us start with 4 tbsp twice a day. I did the first around 2-4pm snd the second at bed time. It never helped him sleep on our behalf. I mixed the rice with 1-1.5 oz of formula and made him a small bottle to drink after he ate the rice 
  • BrianaJ0917BrianaJ0917 member
    edited January 2016
    Now we are spoon feeding rice cereal so he doesn't get it in his bottle as often but when I was doing it in his bottle I would give it to him around 2 for his "nap" bottle and then again right before he went to bed. He was drinking a 6 oz bottle with about 3-4 teaspoons of rice. 
    When I spoon feed I do about 1oz water or BM to 1 Tablespoon cereal. And I give him his "food" then I bathe him (usually to clean up the mess) and then give him his bottle so there's about a 30-40 min gap in between. Then it's bottle and bed. Some days I spoon cereal in the morning/afternoon some days it goes in the bottle I judge it based on his mood and honestly my patience level that day!
    Side note..you may have to get a aster flow nipple for the bottles with rice because it's a thicker liquid and harder to get through a slow flow nipple. Also watch for constipation issues with rice cereal because it can stop them up. If it does you may try to add a little Karo or to occasionally use oatmeal cereal. And as I'm sure you know don't introduce all of this at once esp with making the change from BM to formula!
  • Loading the player...
  • We started only once a day at breakfast. We put him in a highchair at the table while we all ate breakfast. Sometimes now I put a little fruit in it. And he eats baby food at dinner with us now. I don't think it helped him sleep better but we do it at meal times so he gets the idea of eating meals with his sisters and parents. He's a great sleeper though. Has been since about 2 and a half months. He gave up his night feedings on his own. It was slow. One feeding at a time. Now it's usually just once a night between 3 and 5.
  • Just my opinion/experience

we have spent 100s of dollars on rice cereal oatmeal cereal Gerber beach but etc etc
    id suggest trying oatmeal instead of rice. I don't know WHY but lo hated rice and eats oatmeal. Also- I second everything @BrianaJ0917 says
  • Thanks ladies!
  • I have been putting oatmeal cereal in LO's bottles since he was a little under 2 months old. The pedi, suggested it due to the amount LO was spitting up, his height and weight. He had only gained 2 1/2 lbs since birth at this point and grew 3 1/2 inches. That said, he has always slept through the night since then at least 6 hours anyway. He is now eating cereal and baby food and sleeping much longer stretches. I feed him about 7 ish and he goes down for the night about 8:30-9:30 and sleeps straight thru til 6. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • I was told to hold off on cereal because they are preemies so5.5 months is the earliest the doc said to give them solids. Thanks for the advice!
  • What brands do you guys use? Im kind of confused on how to feed rice cereal through a bottle? We're still on milk over here - bday on the 24th :smiley:  help!!
  • You need a special bottle nipple for cereal. We use comotomo bottles. I bet most bottle companies have the equivalent to this one 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004C053BU/ref=sr_ph_1?qid=1455037000&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=comotomo
  • We do Gerber baby Oatmeal using a evenflo level 3 nipple. The current receipe for us is 4 oz with 6 tsp of cereal. We are slowly weaning away from putting cereal in her bottle. We started because she was aspirating regular formula and couldn't take in the volume of formula she needed calorie wise. It hasn't helped her sleep better though. She still eats sometime between 3 and 5 am, but I figure that she'll drop that feeding when she's ready.