Babies: 0 - 3 Months

One month old won't sleep!

My 5 week old will not sleep or stay asleep. I have tried white noise, swaddling, everything. She will close her eyes and seem asleep but 5 minutes later she's up and whining. I'm at my wits end as I cannot getting any sleep either. Does anyone have any tips or tricks. I thought maybe she had reflux or gas pain, but I don't know if you take a baby to the doctor because she won't sleep....

Re: One month old won't sleep!

• She's a newborn, that's why she has trouble sleeping. It's common and it sucks.

Are you swaddling tight enough? Where is she sleeping? If it's on a flat surface, try a Rock 'n' Play. Babies usually hate being flat and sleep way better on a slight incline. The RnP worked like a charm with my second kid.

Also, does baby sleep better on you or with you? Perhaps look into safe co-sleeping?

• Also, if she had reflux or gas pain, you'd know it. She would clearly be in pain. You don't normally take a baby to the doctor because they won't sleep. Newborns are tough and it literally is all trial and error until you find what works.
  • Loading the player...
  • My 7 week old stopped sleeping on her own around 4 weeks. We had make the transition to bed sharing because she would only sleep on me or next to me. 
    She sleeps much better now that I let her sleep on my chest 90% of the time. However she still fights sleep in the evenings sometimes and I have to walk in a swaying motion while patting her back, shushing her and holding her paci in for her to get her to fall asleep. 
    We've had some success transferring her to her own sleeping location once she's in a semi deep sleep or putting her down on a warmed surface while drowsy. 
    It's all trial and error and what works once won't always work every time. 
  • When I went back to work my 10wo decided he didn't want to sleep alone anymore, he was getting up almost every hour. We started cosleeping sleeping, and it has made a world of difference. We tried several different arrangements, and this what works now. As the pp said, it is all trial and error.
  • I feel your pain. My LO is 6 weeks today, and he fights sleep like crazy! My SO and I can get him to sleep for a good 3-4 hours on our chest, but he HATES his crib, and we've tried everything to help him sleep. Even his feedings are off all of the sudden. Which I'm guessing is due to cluster feeding. Since he use to eat 5 ozs every three hours, he now will eat 5ozs every hour and a half. And sometimes he won't eat at all for a good 3-4 hours! We try to nap when he sleeps, but it's tough to do, because we never know when he's gonna wake up. :neutral: