Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Chronic Migraines & a Newborn

Celinas1993Celinas1993 member
edited January 2016 in Babies: 0 - 3 Months
I've suffered from  chronic migraines and headaches for 8 years now. Once I found out I was pregnant I gave up my medications immediately. During my pregnancy, the migraines weren't too bad, so I was able to cope. Now that my little loved one is here and a month old, my migraines have come back with a vengeance (every day, light and sound sensitivity, vomiting, dizziness, neck stiffness ) I am breastfeeding so there's not much to take, and what I can take isn't helping. Is there anyone with advice or suggestions that has  been through a similar situation?? 

Re: Chronic Migraines & a Newborn

• Options
    I would talk to a pharmacist and LC about what is okay to breastfeed with. Some meds pass through milk but are not active or in such small amounts that it would be okay. If there's nothing that works for you I vote for formula and medicating yourself. You can't really be fully there for baby dealing with migraines so the benefits of breastmilk hardly seem worth it IMO
  • Options
    jtannurajtannura member
    edited February 2016
    I have had chronic migraines for almost 16 years. They are so bad I am on permanent disability thru social security. I also quit all my meds during pregnancy. I went to my neurologist a few weeks ago and he put me on fioricet. I checked with an ibclc lactation consultant and she said it is a l3 drug, meaning it does transmit thru breastmilk but has what are considered to be "acceptable" levels (about half of 1% of my dose); she was ok with me taking it as needed. I've taken 3 doses in 6 weeks and it helped and baby is doing just fine. I would not take it if I felt it would hurt my daughter.

Edited due to part of my reply missing. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, ladies. I've been taking it day by day. I definitely will talk to my doctor jtannura about fioricit. I'd hate to stop breastfeeding, but will have to if I don't figure something out.  
  • Options
    I was advised acupuncture and biofeedback therapy. Never tried the biofeedback, but acupuncture helped for a while
  • Options
    I know I'm a little late to the party on this post, but I had to reply to this! I had the exact same problem when I had my first, and actually had to give up breastfeeding because of it. It might not be something you can do right now, but you might want to look into The Reed Procedure: https://www.reedmigraine.com/procedure.php

I thought I had literally tried everything when my SIL caught an interview with him on The Doctors after I had my first LO. I went though with the procedure and can happily report I was able to breastfeed my second and haven't needed medication since :)

He's going to be on the show again tomorrow if you want to get the same elevator pitch that I got: https://www.thedoctorstv.com/episodes/drs-exclusives-reality-star-reveals-medical-horror-story-and-one-meme-mom-fights-back-against-online-haters-hottest-new-meditation-trend-revealed-are-migraines-ruining-your-life