September 2015 Moms

EBF mamas who can't eat dairy/soy/eggs/nuts/wheat

Anyone else in this boat? LO has extreme allergies... We are sure which ones though so I'm on a full elimination diet - drrrrrreadful. Please tell me someone else is experiencing this. We have an appt next month to see an allergist... But I was warned that if a baby is under 1 yr old they might not be able to really tell you what the allergies are. It's brutal, I can't eat anything processed, can't eat at restaurants, can't eat the same dinner as my husband. LO breaks out in horrific painful rashes and screams all night if I eat whatever her trigger foods are. It's killing me not knowing what's causing it!!!

Re: EBF mamas who can't eat dairy/soy/eggs/nuts/wheat

• I'm sorry! That really sucks!

My LO was super fussy and gassy after I ate a large omelette, so I've been limiting my egg intake since then (he seems fine when it's just one egg, but that had to be probably three at least). But obviously that is NOTHING compared to what you have to eliminate! I hope you're able to figure it out and soon so you can enjoy eating again!
  • I'm just starting to go down this road. I'm not sure what I'll have to eliminate yet. It isn't clear to me what is causing it...so I'm guessing either dairy or wheat, something I eat throughout most days. He doesn't get rashes but we have had the screaming at night a few times recently. Mostly its excessive spitting up, fussing while feeding, red eyes, and some bloody/mucousy stools. I haven't seen a doctor yet, just spoke to a nurse, but we have an appointment on Tuesday. Until then I'm trying to keep a food & symptoms journal to see if I can spot anything obvious. So I may be joining you. 

Full elimination sounds so hard! Good luck. Sorry your having to do that. That's a sacrifice that shows your incredible love for your LO! :) Keep me updated on how it goes and I'll let you know what we end up having to do as well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • No dairy for us- not even milk chocolate :'-( my son throws up and gets fullbody eczema as well as bad congestion. Not in full elmination mode but in "I guess I'm on a diet because everything delicious has dairy" mode
  • ambernhellandambernhelland member
    edited January 2016
    I'm only off dairy due to baby being lactose intolerant, my wonderful hubby passed it down to both our girls. Once I'm done with pumping I'm going to go crazy with dairy for a bit! We keep lactose free milk in the house so I'm good there. But I want a stuffed crust pizza in the worst way, and REAL ice cream again! 
    I've noticed if I eat too much broccoli or cauliflower baby gets super gassy too(just something to watch for). 
    Hope they can find out what the trigger foods are for you so you can go back to eating somewhat normally! Good luck! 
  • *n15 lurker* 
    Right now I've eliminated dairy and soy for the little one, while I am also allergic to eggs and nuts, among other things. 
    It is really hard- especially the unlikely places where the ingredients hide! I feel like I get all my reading done at the grocery store!

For the most part, I have to make almost everything myself now. When baking sweet things, you can substitute 1/2 a banana, 1/3 cup applesauce,3tablespoons other fruit puréed, or 1/3 cup canned pumpkin for 1 egg. For something not sweet- quick bread or biscuits, you can use 1/4 cups water or 1/4 cups canola oil. Because egg helps things to rise, I always double the rising agent that a recipe calls for. 
    For milk, in most sweet things, you can substitute water or juice-- if you can have oats, oat milk tastes really weird but it bakes well. 
    My mom and brother have celiac, and they use I think rice flour and tapioca flour in place of wheat flour. You have to be careful with gluten free baked things, because most of them have either nuts or eggs in them. 
    I've used sunbutter for years in place of peanut butter, and it is great! (On apples, celery, whatever you'd normally put peanut butter on.) 
    For actual real food, I've been eating a ton of vegetables. To make it more interesting, I've been using a wide variety of spices to change it up a little. 
    The Yummly app is also great- you can put in dietary restrictions while looking for recipes. 

My older daughter had allergy tests done at about ten months I think it was, and they worked just fine!  The only thing that you have to keep in mind is that you little one may develop allergies as they go along too. (Older daughter didn't react to eggs at all until she had them for the fourth time, and then it was a scary spectacular reaction!) 
    hopefully you will be able to figure out your little one's allergies soon! Sorry for the super long post, but I hope something in it may help you! 
  • I have to avoid dairy (don't eat soy). He has horrible reflux when I eat it and projectile vomits for days after I eat it. I have 3 kids that have dairy/soy allergies so I kind of expected it :( We use coconut milk or almond milk with cooking. I make almost everything from scratch because of my food allergy kiddos. It's a pain and I hope your little one outgrows it.
  • Oh, man. We were in this boat. The full elimination was brutal. We finally identified that my baby is sensitive to cow's milk proteins. I can eat butter but that's the only cow milk product. I eat a ton of goat/sheep milk products. 

Avoiding the the obvious sources wasn't so hard...it's those hidden sources...like breads and deli meats! 

PM me if you want...I have a few good resources.