December 2015 Moms
Options

Breast is best

Does anyone else think this saying is super insensitive to mom's that can't or have major issues breastfeeding and quit for their mental health.

I EP and use formula after exahsting all avenues for 6 weeks with breast feeding.
My son gets breast milk but when I hear this saying it makes me feel guilty.
I feel like it should be modified in some way to be more inclusive to all mom's and not be so discouraging and condeming. I also went into a bad depression because for a while I felt like I wasn't doi ng what was best for my baby.

Interested if anyone else feels this way.

Re: Breast is best

• Options
    Yes yes yes! I am still EBF, but it's been a real struggle for many reasons. I think about stopping often, but guilt is one major reason I'm still going. I hear "breast is best" and feel like if I decide to stop I'm choosing to not do what's "best" for my baby... And of course I want what's best!

But I also believe it's best for our babies to have happy parents so I'm trying to keep that in mind when making my decision about how I'll continue to feed LO. Sometimes BFing makes me miserable, but trying to stick it out and hoping it gets better.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This!  Thank you! I was really struggling with EBF and starting supplementing during the day with formula because he's just so hungry. I pump as much as possible, but I'm getting 3 oz out and DS is taking 4oz of formula and looking for more. Then I see Breast is Best and feel like I'm failing him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try drinking some fennal tea, helps increase milk supply
  • Options
    https://www.scarymommy.com/increasing-evidence-proves-breast-isnt-always-best/
    Have you read this? I came across it the other day and thought it was interesting. 
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Your baby is being fed and that's the most important thing! 
  • Options
    Yes!!!  I cannot breast feed due to medication that I am on. It is not ok for DD to drink. I have felt judged a lot with both of my children, and I hate when people say this. They have no idea that I would love to breast feed (or at least try to) but can't and have to give my kiddos formula. For my kiddos, formula is best. 
  • Options
    rmarie13 said:
    https://www.scarymommy.com/increasing-evidence-proves-breast-isnt-always-best/
    Have you read this? I came across it the other day and thought it was interesting. 
    Don't beat yourself up over it. Your baby is being fed and that's the most important thing! 
    Amen!

Married - 10/10/2009

DS - Due 11/3/2012 born 9/28/2012 due to Severe Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome

DD - EDD 12/30/15

"I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." Maya Angelou|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Chart[/url|| <a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</

• Options
    I feel like every situation and baby is different. It is said that breast milk is best for baby but sometimes breastfeeding does not work for certain people. I feel as mothers we do what we think is best for our babies.

I EBF with my husband occasionally giving baby a bottle of pumped milk once in a while to give me a break. 

I must admit that breastfeeding has been my biggest challenge. I love it but definitely have days where I hate it. I do not look down on anyone who decides formula feeding is better for them. If breastfeeding is not going good it can cause a hard relationship between mom and baby. 

• Options
    There are many moms or babies who are unable to breastfeed for one reason or another. It is not always a choice that a mother made, not that there is anything wrong with choosing not to breastfeed.
    I was at a party with my baby and fed him a bottle of formula, multiple people asked me what I was giving him or commented that it did not look like milk. No one was overtly rude, but when we left my husband asked me if I also felt like everyone was judging us. I try not to take this stuff personally, but I have become a lot more aware of what's appropriate to say to pregnant people or new parents now that I have been through this whole process myself.
  • Options
    Wouldn't let me type..but I loved that post. I think surviving the day should be everyone's goal. Whatever you do and however you get there doesn't matter. 
  • Options
    Oh ladies. I read this right at the perfect time and must admit I started to get teary eyed. I have been struggling since day one with BF and just had an appointment today with the 4th lactation consultant I have met. She now thinks my DD is tongue tied even though no one else has seen this when they habe checked. I just feel lost and am slowly trying to let go and realize that as long as she is happy and fed that is all that matters. But as other people have said there is this underlying guilt that I am not doing the best for my little one. I am very lucky that I am able to give her expressed milk and I know this but it's just so hard to let go of trying to BF. Stay strong ladies. Our LO are lucky to have us as Mamas. Xo
  • Options
    ammnam14 said:
    Wouldn't let me type..but I loved that post. I think surviving the day should be everyone's goal. Whatever you do and however you get there doesn't matter. 
    Isn't this the truth!!! If I have gotten through another day I am excited!! Lol 
  • Options
    I think formula is one of the best inventions in human history. Breastfeeding is great but it isn't always possible or practical. Nobody should feel bad for needing or choosing it. It's so cliché,  but all that matters is a healthy happy baby and family.
  • Options
    Just don't feed your baby almond milk and give it scurvy. Please. So sad.
  • Options
    This has been a rant of mine since DS. This saying caused me major issues when we went to formula for him and it was entirely irrational. I swear it's just there for guilt and to set many woman up to feel like failures.

Breastfeeding is incredibly hard and whatever reason it doesn't always work. With DS breastmilk was making him severely I'll and I still felt guilty switching to formula for that saying. This time, I mostly breastfeed and rarely does she get formula now but I hate pumping and so sometimes she gets formula. Starting out it can be such a massive pain to find the right one but past that it can be so much easier sometimes. Even with BF mostly going well I'm still tempted sometimes to let it go.
  • Options
    I love this saying...

I have done all three: Bottle fed my first, NG tube then bottle with my second, and breast with my third. All three are alive and bright. Just feed those babies however you can!
  • Options
    I totally agree there should be a different saying. I chose to stop bfing after my lo's two week check and found out he had not gained anything since we left the hospital. It was too stressful so we decided to formula feed. When my grandmother came for Christmas and noticed I was formula feeding she told me how what a disappointment it was and how great breast feeding is. At least my Leo started to gain weight and is doing great now. 

https://us.v-cdn.net/5020794/uploads/FileUpload/69/1a18c2e7532600b237c0ccef11ba85.jpeg

Proud Mommy of Derek Michael

April 8, 2014 9lb 6oz 21 inches

• Options
    I was all for breastfeeding/pumping as long as I could for a couple of reasons. 1- I had always heard breastmilk is the best thing your child can get, over formula. 2- It's a money saver and 3- Breastfeeding can often result in weight loss (not trying to be vain but honest, in that if it may help to lose some baby weight, then great).

With that being said, my LO spent time in the NICU and even though I was a breastfeeding candidate, when I look back at his time there had I chosen not to breastfeed, even if I was someone who chose to exclusively pump, I think the LC and NICU nurses would have really made me feel the pressure.  I was at a hospital that is all for breastfeeding and the whole term, "breast is best."  I just remember hearing a conversation the LC had with another mom who was choosing to EP and she was giving her, her 2 cents on how breastfeeding offers so many bonding experiences, yada, yada, yada. I also started to feel pressure/anxiety about having to maybe supplement for my LO because by day 4, my milk was barley coming in. I pumped while at home and brought up my milk to the hospital for feedings that were given to him while I wasn't there to nurse. They had to maintain his serving size for a couple of days because I wasn't producing enough for them to be gradually increasing his daily intake.  I broke down and cried as if the idea of supplementing formula for him meant they were giving him some toxic poison that would harm him. In addition to that, the hospital had a guest stay opportunity.  It was for women who were discharged from the hospital but had babies in NICU.  They could "guest" in one of the available L&D rooms so that they could nurse and be there for their babies 24/7.  I can not tell you how many times I was reminded that I could have "Guested" in one of the rooms to be able to feed him on demand, so that they may not have to supplement for him. Total and utter guilt trip right there, let me tell you. I was a basket case the first night I was discharged and not because our son wasn't home with us, but for the simple fact I was beginning to feel like a failure at this breastfeeding thing. 

We are now formula feeding DS entirely.  I was happy to have breastfed and pump for a solid month.  The switch to formula hasn't been the easiest, which sometimes does make me think whether or not I should have tried to stick it out with BF and pumping.  If we try for Baby #2 I would def. have some different thoughts/perspectives on breastfeeding the second time around.
  • Options

Accidentally hit quote and it won't let me delete.

Anyway, I think the phrase "breast is best" is a backlash to the rise in formula feeding that took place in the 60s-ish. By the 70s and 80s it was the norm to use formula and not breastfeed. La Leche League formed and started attempting to encourage more breastfeeding. Nowadays we see most women at least attempt to BF before stopping by 6 months usually. I know that I personally had never even seen breastfeeding IRL prior to having DD. 

Given all that, I saw a discussion today about what was used before formula and wow! Women were so innovative and motivated to keep babies alive. One woman recalled her grandmother telling her that her great grandmother had had her 2 months early. The doctors told her to let the grandmother die. Instead her gg used goats milk and condensed milk and stayed by a fireplace for 3 months. Could you imagine that today?? Formula has led to so many more babies living and thriving.

ive also seen stories hers of it helping women. While I hope to breastfeed until 12 months, I think it's more for the same reasons stated above! Breast milk is chalk full of the chemicals we come into contact with everyday. Formula, at least, has that going for it!
  • Options
    What surprised me was when I was exclusively pumping. At first I couldn't breastfeed and when I talked about pumping I had some people keep telling me how it was such a shame I was missing out on bonding with my child. Always paired with a compliment about all the effort I was going to but it was kind of backhanded. Like it wasn't enough that my baby was getting breast milk because it wasn't coming straight from the source. 
  • Options
    @taysun I get the dental and immune benefits they claim for BF but the bonding thing came up the other day and it surprises me. Babies can't feed themselves so either way a parent is typically holding them to eat (and bf wouldn't change daycare needs). The hormones they discuss for BF are typically the same ones people discuss for cuddling so I don't understand that arguement. I feel like I have to BF because I'm a SAHM and don't qualify for wic...so formula would be expensive. 
  • Options
    I love this saying...

DS was fed via tube. Then we tried Nursing for a few months while having expressed milk followed by neosure. Poor baby wasn't strong enough to nurse and would immediately fall asleep so it was expressed milk and neosure from there on out. 
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @LaceyH13 exactly. Same with sleeping, same with first words/crawling/teeth/etc etc.
  • Options
    pupsicle23pupsicle23 member
    edited January 2016
    @LaceyH13 I recently read a blog post that said exactly that.  I wish I could remember where I found it -- probably scary mommy.  I have no idea how my mom fed me, and I turned out great.  

Edited for clarity
  • Options
    TomekiaB said:
    @taysun I get the dental and immune benefits they claim for BF but the bonding thing came up the other day and it surprises me. Babies can't feed themselves so either way a parent is typically holding them to eat (and bf wouldn't change daycare needs). The hormones they discuss for BF are typically the same ones people discuss for cuddling so I don't understand that arguement. I feel like I have to BF because I'm a SAHM and don't qualify for wic...so formula would be expensive. 
    It's the same here, formula is expensive and I'd like to save the money that would be spent on it. We qualify for WIC and food stamps 2-4 months of the year during SOs layoffs but the rest of the time we don't so I don't want to depend on that. 
  • Options
    phillipsbrphillipsbr member
    edited January 2016
    My baby is 7 weeks and I'm exclusively breastfeeding but I definitely feel like the nurses and lactation consultants in the hospital have put a huge stigma on anything BUT feeding at the breast in my mind. I know that's their jobs but hearing it from every person in there several times makes me feel so guilty for even just pumping and giving him a bottle. That's crazy! I'm beating myself up at the possibility of having to supplement with formula when I go back to work. That's also crazy. I have to keep reminding myself it's just formula, not kryptonite. 
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of the nicest way to type this because I 100% agree every mother should do whatever is best for them and their child and especially after all I've gone through with breastfeeding I have no judgements for those who choose not to do this. But I feel like "breast is best" is said for a reason and it shouldn't be a condemnation on those who are formula feeding.
    Breastfeeding is more work than I ever imagined and so far I have been through hell and back with it. The first week we couldn't get the latch right because my nipples were a little flat so my son literally sucked them raw. I was in excruciating pain and screaming every time he latched and cried while he fed because the pain was so intense. I did this every hour. I dreaded each time he cried from hunger but grit my teeth and did it over and over again until blood was dripping out as well. I then understood why not everyone does this but I am stubborn and determined and with the help of LC goddesses we were able to fix the latch and the pain was completely gone in a day. 
    Since then we feed comfortably but also struggle with weight gain. So I now have a routine of feeding and pumping and ingesting things to help my milk supply. 
    Everyday I drink some gross mother's milk tea, take fenugreek 3 times a day, eat oatmeal and lactation cookies and pump after feedings to keep it all going. 
    I'm about to give up dairy, which includes all my favorite foods, because my baby is gassy and I need to see if it's due to that.
    If breast isn't best for my baby than why am I doing all of this when I could just pour some powder in water and be done? Why have I gone through all that I have if its just the same as formula?

Either one is better for babies or they are identical. Which research has shown countless benefits to breastmilk which have yet to be mimicked. So yeah, technically breast milk is the best thing out there healthwise for babies while they're babies. That doesn't mean the fact that it's best that someone can't do it should feel bad about it. Eating organic, non processed whole foods is better for our adult bodies but just because I can't afford or don't want to eat that way doesnt mean I should feel guilty about it or judged by people who do live that way.