Infertility

IVF with PGD testing?

So if we go the IVF route which looks like we may, the RE said he suggested PGD testing.. Unfortunately this is around 2,500 and not covered.. Have you had this testing? What are thoughts on it?  He said it also reduces risk of multiples.. not sure how that correlates.  He did some super panel blood work to check for genetic disorders but i am still waiting on results.. Anyways, thoughts on PGD testing?? thank you :smiley: 

Re: IVF with PGD testing?

• Do you or your partner have a history of gene abnormalities in your family? Or, do you have a history of multiple losses? Those would be other reasons your Dr might be thinking you'd need it?
  • I am doing the testing. It reduces the risk of multiples because they put in less since they know it's a healthy embryo. It also reduces the chance of miscarriage because you know he embryo is healthy and the chances are much greater for a viable pregnancy. I'm doing the testing because I have had 2 miscarriages this year and I'm 34. It's up to you, but I feel like we have already invested so much money that I want to know I'm doing everything I possibly can to ensure a healthy successful pregnancy.
    Good luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • runner76  we are also doing testing. For some of the same reasons, but also because of my age and my family history of early menopause. I also have unexplained infertility, so we did everything to increase our odds (we also did ICSI for this reason)
    One thing to take into consideration; although its expensive, it's most likely not a recurring cost if you have to go thru multiple rounds. I would guess they are all different, so I would check on that, but ours covers testing for 10 embroys. So, this first round we are currently testing 4 - if they come back as abnormal we have 6 more they will cover under the same amount (and it's pretty minimal for additional add ons after 10). So that made us feel better about shelling out so much.

--------

Me: 42 | DH: 39 | Us: Married since April 2014 | TCC 20 months before IVF

Me: unexplained infertility (AMA?) | DH: No issues

1st IVF cycle with ICSI & PGS | ER 1/21/16  | FET  4/26/16, ectopic

2nd FET 09/20/16 | DS born May 2017

3rd FET 09/14/20

• We did the testing for a lot of the same reasons.  (my age, success rates and peace of mind) Honestly, the gender selection was pretty cool also.  A lot of women (younger or older) have to decide if they want to test at 10-12 weeks of pregnancy and then make a decision to abort.  I would never want to go through that when you already have the baby growing inside you.

@MelD17011 That's interesting that the lab will test more in the future based on the fact yours covers up to 10.  I asked that same question and my nurse didn't know the answer.  My testing covers up to 12 and I only tested 6 this round.  I hope that is the case for me as well, I would think it would be.

Married: 8/29/2009
    TTC- since we got married (off and on)
    TTC with focus: Since July 2015
    Currently had 2 rounds of failed IUIs, failed TI monitored cycle
    December 2015: Starting 1st IVF cycle
    January 2016: Retrieval
    March 2016: Pending Transfer (I have 3 PGS tested embryos waiting for a womb)
    April 2016: BFP, the old fashioned way.

• @babyexpress - definitely worth asking - I can't imagine that they would think you'd get 12 to be tested at once.

--------

3rd FET 09/14/20

• We are doing PGD just for peace of mind. If we had a Trisomy 21 baby, we'd still take him, but the extra cost to ensure that it is a viable embryo is worth it. Ours will be $1700 for up to 8 embryos, then an additional $250 for each after that. They just do them all at once, otherwise you get charge the full $1700 if you only send 4, and then decide to send another 4 later. FX!

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just wanted to share a different experience/choice.  My husband and I were really interested in PGS testing, and I was a candidate due to my age.  I did have the genetic counseling for myself and came back as not being a carrier for all they tested for.  The gender selection is pretty "cool", but one thing that stuck with me was that what is being tested comes from a 3 day embryo, and sometimes what is seen as "abnormal" actually corrects itself by day 5 or 6. I would hate to have embryos discarded because they were seen as abnormal a few days ago but were able to self correct or were just a little behind (I'm a procrastinator.. i said they took after me).  Another issue that you may find on other boards is to be sure to do your research on which company/lab you send your samples off for testing.  One recently found that their tests were too sensitive and caused a lot of false abnormal results.  They are now offering patients the ability to retest the samples they have if the embryos are still frozen.

If you are a known carrier, have more than 2 criteria for the testing, or have gone through IVF unsuccessfully before, then by all means.. I would tell you to do it without a doubt.  I would really think it over especially if it is your first go (and have the ability to do it again).  Good luck with your decision.
  • mine are tested at day 6. 
  • mine were biopsied on Day 6 also

• babyexpress did you find out if yours will cover more?

--------

3rd FET 09/14/20

• @MelD17011 No, the nurse said financing could answer that question for me.  I haven't really thought about it much outside of that.  I'm hoping I won't need it :)  If none of my 3 implant, then I will definitely be inquiring further.

• My RE tests on day 5/6 blasts as well.  It is a much more reliable sample.  I highly recommend the testing particularly if you have secondary fertility issues (I have autoimmune issues).  With PGS/PGD you only need to transfer one at a time since the chance of a healthy pregnancy is so high.  
  • my RE also tests on day 5/6.  DH and I are both 37 so due to age we wanted to go the PGD route.  We are doing IVF due to MFI.  The only caution I would share is that our RE sort of pitched it that if we did PGD, and my uterus looked good for transfer, then we would probably have a success.  My uterus was where it was supposed to me, i'm told,  but our transfer resulted in a chemical.  So, although the PGD does improve your chances there's still room for a negative result.  we did decide to do a second round of IVF and we are doing PGD again. We are waiting for those results now.  The other tidbit I can share is that in our first round,  we had 1 embryo that was perfectly graded by the embryologist, but that turned out to be abnormal once it was PGD tested.   If we didn't do PGD,  they would have transferred that perfect graded embryo which, due to chromosomal abnormalities, we would have lost.   
    Also on cost,  my RE was 4K for biopsy and testing of up to 12 embryos (1K for biopsy and 3K for testing).   In our second round, we have to pay a second biopsy fee so you might just want to ask about that.  I didn't realize there was an additional charge.

Hope this helps and GL! 
  • We did PGS and I'm glad we did. We are both young(ish), 32 and 33, with no history of gene abnormalities but we wanted to increase our chances of a healthy pregnancy. We had 18 eggs retrieved, 16 fertilized and 12 made it to day 5. After the PGS testing we had 5 "normal" embryos. I am really glad we went with the testing. We are paying for it out of pocket too and it's not cheap, $4900 with our clinic. We had our transfer last Saturday and will testing next week. 
    Good luck!
  • I'm interested how things turn out for you @akcrowe - what's your diagnosis if you don't mind? My DH and I are both 31 and trying to decide what to do for our upcoming cycle... the cost is my only drawback, but if it's worth it... 
    ---
    Started TTC April 2011
    Me: 32, DH: 32
    Diagnosis: Endometriosis

• 2012 - 3 Rounds clomid - all BFN
    • 2013 - 1 Fresh IVF with 2 day 3 embryos - BFN
    • 2014 - 1 Frozen IVF with 2 day 5 embryos - BFN
    • Took a long break, continuing trying naturally
    • Feb 2016 - Biopsy = Endo, DH sperm improved from 1% to 6% morphology
    • March 2016 - Fresh IVF cycle with acupuncture & intralipids: 20 eggs retrieved (17 mature), 7 ICSI'd fertilized, 9 naturally fertilized. 16 total embryos!
    • April 8th - 2 embryos (1ICSI and 1 Natural) transferred. (7 blastocysts frozen), April 18th - Beta = BFN
    • Sept 23rd - Lupron Depot Injection for Endo control
    • Nov 15th 2016 - Started daily Lupron Injections for upcoming FET
    • Nov 22 - Baseline US/BW - Intralipid Infusion - Start Meds for FET with immune protocol
    • Dec 16th FET transfer of 3 embryos (1 - AA, 2 - BB)
    • TW below
    • Dec 22nd - first ever bfp (very faint lines FRER & cheapie)
    • Dec 27th Beta = 192, Dec 29th Beta = 379
    • EDD - Sept 5th 2017

- - -
    I'm a YouTube vlogger who talks about Infertility, IVF and Endometriosis. Check it out here!
    Follow along at http://liv4today.blog
    Instagram @liv4todayvlog 

• We did not do the testing because at the time we thought we were genetically all good to go. I miscarried at almost 9 weeks. Found out today that my lovely sister in law had genetic testing over a year ago and there is an issue in DH's family but she didn't think she had to tell us. Even though we told her we were doing IVF. Do the testing. I now need to decide if I want to "discard" my 3 frozen embryos and start all over or take a chance and use them and possibly have 3 more miscarriages.

thejessicanicol.com

Me: 24 DH: 29

MFI: Low Morphology Low Count due to radiation

IVF with ICSI Round 1: November 2015

D&C January 2016

Anticipated FET April 2016

• @thejessicanicol I'm so sorry to hear your situation. :( I'm sorry she didn't share that important information.  I know that some companies will do testing on previously frozen embryos.  Is that a possibility for you to do?  There are other boards where some people have gone this route.  
  • @piperella Our RE won't test them now that they're frozen. Because we only have 3 he thinks thawing, testing, and then either transferring or refreezing them would damage them. I really didn't think testing would be so important and because I'm 24 and DH is 29 our RE didn't recommend it.

thejessicanicol.com

Me: 24 DH: 29

MFI: Low Morphology Low Count due to radiation

IVF with ICSI Round 1: November 2015

D&C January 2016

Anticipated FET April 2016

• oxinfree we have MFI- morphology specifically. 

Our cycle failed. All the money, all the testing, all of it for nothing.